Thread: volvo 280 u joints

volvo 280 u joints

Hello, I finally got my 16 back in the water. It's been a while but it's finally in. This past winter I pulled the engine and repainted it, changed the intake and carb to a mid rise edelbrock intake and a holley carb, and I put a 23 ss prop on it. I took it out for a ride and noticed it had a vibration when I turned the boat. So I put my old prop on it just to make sure that the new prop wasn't the issue. So I pulled the drive off and checked for play in the gimbal and it was fine. I also double checked the engine alignment and it was perfect. So I looked at the u joints and the one u joint had a slight amount of play in it. So my big question is do I have to pull the four bolts and pull the whole yoke out or is there an easy way to pop the u joint out? Also can I just go to the autoparts store and match up the u joints? Thanks Chris

I forget the part # at the moment but I'm sure someone will have it before I get to the garage but a XXX U joint is a XXX U joint. Also keep in mind when taking the old ones out you are not trying to save them meaning I've been known to use a saw-zaw.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

buy good u joints pull the 4 bolts and put a new seal in wile you at it and replace the bellows to wile you have the top off the drive check you water hose hand fitting to easy job
    mario

if you are replacing the splined part of the u joint you'll need to get the right type , fine or corse splined
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information