Thread: Alpha one gen two exhaust bellows

Alpha one gen two exhaust bellows

hey Guys, James here.
    Not my Donzi, but figured it might help others and I know your guys know the answer. On my 1998 Sun Tracker party barge 27' with the 3.0 inboard with the Alpha One Gen Two outdrive I am having trouble. She needed some love so we pulled her backward onto shore since I do not have a trailer for it to do the service work. Replaced the water pump, all new gaskets and o-rings etc and all of the bellows. The problem we are having is with the exhaust Bellows. Installed it four times now, but it keeps coming off. Tried with glue, with out glue, clamping the next day after glue dries etc. As soon as we lift the drive it slips off. Getting frustrated cause it is a PITA. especially working in a water filled hole on the beach. I watched some YouTube videos of guys installing it. Thinking of trying to pre stretch it by boiling it in hot water, and some make shift jig to stretch it over night?
    Anyway, any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing? Well we tried two more times. Yesterday for two hours, cleaning the ports with a dremel. Even put grooves in it to try and give more bite. Glued it on, let it sit for an hour. Reinstall the drive. Within ten minutes it had pulled half way off. This morning went out raised drive and it pulled off the rest. Boo. I'm at a loss. I thought maybe it was wrong bellows. checked numbers and it is the same for all alphas. I tried pre stretching over night, boiling it. Nothing is working. Even worse I don't have a trailer to take it any where. So were working on the beach. Help.

Exhaust bellows are no longer really used. Instead use an exhaust tube, part #78458A1.
    It's a semi rigid tough plastic tube that is clamped to the gimbal housing spigot, but simply overlaps the bell housing spigot at the rear end of the tube w/o clamping to it.
    I think this part came along when the bellows wasn't of sufficient size to handle all the exhaust gasses of V-8 engines. Not to worry about fitting, I assure you it's the same size
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

That part is interesting. Would certainly make installation a breeze. So it just sort of seals up when drive is down?

Yes, it works great when the drive is in a normal operating range.
    Here's a picture of one installed:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information