Thread: 3M 5200 sealer

3M 5200 sealer

Is really true that you have to use the tube with in 24 hours of breaking the seal. If so has any one put it in the freezer to keep it from hardening. I kind of feel that that should be in big bold print as not to waste money on a big tube if your only going to use it on a few screws. Here I was thinking I would have it on hand to use when needed. The Guy's at 3M are marketing genius's at my expense
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Why are you using that gawdawful stuff anyway ? There's better things out there if you want to stop a few screws from backing loose and still have the option of diss- assembly later on .

But to answer your question , if you only use a small bit out of a tube I've found that if you perfectly clean the threads that the cap screws onto and seal it up without damage to the cap (they crack very easily) and then put it in the fridge it'll hold up for a long time .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I have also recapped the tubes and stored them in a cool basement and it's stayed good for years. It may partially harden around the opening.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thanks, that's reassuring I would think 5200 does not have the tensile strength to keep a wood screw from turning back out with a screw driver that is
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Virtually anything that's waterproof will seal screws.
    5200 would be way down my list of preferences.
    I think the only thing I used 5200 with on the TR was the transom pickup, around the tab mounting surfaces, and the tab 3/8" mounting bolts.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

i take the screw-on tube off and put plastic wrap over the end screw the tube back on and store it down cellar. the tube will last pretty long time like carl said
    FISH HARD

Thread Information