Thread: Thinking about buying a sweet 16 need help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thinking about buying a sweet 16 need help

Hi Gents,

I am in the market for a sweet 16, have always loved the style and look, but I am hesitant to make a purchase without knowing everything there is to know. I am currently looking at a 77-78 16. Motor was replaced after the last owner didn't winterize the boat properly and cracked the block. New 350 was installed with the original drive I am unsure what it is. The interior looks fantastic. The paint doesn't look bad, but you can tell that it was a spray over and I can almost guarantee its clear coated no gel. Minor chips in the fiber glass, but other than that doesn't look bad.
    I am going today to look at the boat again, hear it run and make my decision. If anyone out there can tell me what I should be looking at to determine if the boat is worth it, anything will help thank you.
    Oh before I forget owner wants $8,700

Thank you

Alex

thanks for the quick response I posted the link so you can see.
    the boat was salt water used, the owner has a mechanics shop so that's who has been performing all the work on it. I am sure the gas tank is original but that question will be brought up when I see it later.
    the interior looks great seats replaced a year ago. original patina on the gauges, shifter, wheel.
    The trailer is in good condition, but If I do buy the boat I have the privilege of living on the water so the boat will be dry docked behind the house.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4435598646.html

Has the boat been used in salt water or fresh?

Original gas tank? After almost 40 years, the original tanks are getting iffy.....
    Replacement is neither easy nor cheap.

What shape is the interior in?

What shape is the trailer in?

Who has maintained the boat? Pro or amateur?

Please post pictures and you'll get more input.

And welcome to the Board!

salt water boats can be an adventure. you will want to check the mechanicals very closely anything metallic can be effected.

use your nose to see if there are gas fumes

tap the transom with you knuckles or the handle of a screwdriver you should hear a crisp sound if it sounds hollow or like a thud there is moisture in it.

test everything, everything that is not up to snuff will take the price down.

to give you an Idea of the market value in 2001 I purchased a 67 16 the price was 8900 there were a few issues trim tabs leaked but that all lead to a lower sell price 8500. I ENJOYED the boat for 8 years replaced the tank and some little stuff and sold it for 9500 in 2009. I guess my point is they hold value well, you would be hardpressed to find another boat that will hold value like it.

BTW a 77-78 is not a sweet 16 it is a 16 skisporter the original 16
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have two pieces of advice. The first is to try to find a fresh water boat.

The second and the one that I think is MUCH more important is spend the 250-600 bucks to have a very good survey done. If you can find someone who does thermal imaging of the hull, that's even better. Find out who heads up the marine surveyors association for your region and call him and ask who the best is.
    I've seen it many many times where someone buys a "good" boat only to find out that they are needing to do a TON of $work$ to actually make it a good boat. My friend who is doing a customers boat right now that he paid 8k for but will have 10k in repairs. Something that is avoidable should be avoided. Even if you find out the boat you like is a turd and the inspection money doesn't go towards the boat you wanted, you're so far ahead.

my two cents
    DUNESMAN

I'd suggest you look at 18's also.
    I think they're a lot more boat than the two foot difference would suggest.
    Potentially faster and has a lot more room in the engine compartment.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information