Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying a sweet 16 need help

Thinking about buying a sweet 16 need help

Hi Gents,

I am in the market for a sweet 16, have always loved the style and look, but I am hesitant to make a purchase without knowing everything there is to know. I am currently looking at a 77-78 16. Motor was replaced after the last owner didn't winterize the boat properly and cracked the block. New 350 was installed with the original drive I am unsure what it is. The interior looks fantastic. The paint doesn't look bad, but you can tell that it was a spray over and I can almost guarantee its clear coated no gel. Minor chips in the fiber glass, but other than that doesn't look bad.
    I am going today to look at the boat again, hear it run and make my decision. If anyone out there can tell me what I should be looking at to determine if the boat is worth it, anything will help thank you.
    Oh before I forget owner wants $8,700

Thank you

Alex

thanks for the quick response I posted the link so you can see.
    the boat was salt water used, the owner has a mechanics shop so that's who has been performing all the work on it. I am sure the gas tank is original but that question will be brought up when I see it later.
    the interior looks great seats replaced a year ago. original patina on the gauges, shifter, wheel.
    The trailer is in good condition, but If I do buy the boat I have the privilege of living on the water so the boat will be dry docked behind the house.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4435598646.html

Has the boat been used in salt water or fresh?

Original gas tank? After almost 40 years, the original tanks are getting iffy.....
    Replacement is neither easy nor cheap.

What shape is the interior in?

What shape is the trailer in?

Who has maintained the boat? Pro or amateur?

Please post pictures and you'll get more input.

And welcome to the Board!

salt water boats can be an adventure. you will want to check the mechanicals very closely anything metallic can be effected.

use your nose to see if there are gas fumes

tap the transom with you knuckles or the handle of a screwdriver you should hear a crisp sound if it sounds hollow or like a thud there is moisture in it.

test everything, everything that is not up to snuff will take the price down.

to give you an Idea of the market value in 2001 I purchased a 67 16 the price was 8900 there were a few issues trim tabs leaked but that all lead to a lower sell price 8500. I ENJOYED the boat for 8 years replaced the tank and some little stuff and sold it for 9500 in 2009. I guess my point is they hold value well, you would be hardpressed to find another boat that will hold value like it.

BTW a 77-78 is not a sweet 16 it is a 16 skisporter the original 16
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have two pieces of advice. The first is to try to find a fresh water boat.

The second and the one that I think is MUCH more important is spend the 250-600 bucks to have a very good survey done. If you can find someone who does thermal imaging of the hull, that's even better. Find out who heads up the marine surveyors association for your region and call him and ask who the best is.
    I've seen it many many times where someone buys a "good" boat only to find out that they are needing to do a TON of $work$ to actually make it a good boat. My friend who is doing a customers boat right now that he paid 8k for but will have 10k in repairs. Something that is avoidable should be avoided. Even if you find out the boat you like is a turd and the inspection money doesn't go towards the boat you wanted, you're so far ahead.

my two cents
    DUNESMAN

I'd suggest you look at 18's also.
    I think they're a lot more boat than the two foot difference would suggest.
    Potentially faster and has a lot more room in the engine compartment.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

My .03 for you ...........

I run in Long Island Sound, the Hudson River and the Atlantic all the time with my 16s. If you want a 16 I would strongly suggest you get a later year Sweet 16 with two forward facing bucket seats if you're going to explore with it. The Sound and the various Bays can get going and two buckets make the 16 a lot more family and rider friendly and still give you the great looks we all love.

Second thing is as pipnit said, look for a fresh water boat instead. I boat exclusively in salt water and you are always going to have surprises when you buy a salt water boat. You would limit those if you spend a few more bucks out of the gate and get one that is fresh water only. The 16s are small enough that you can expand you search area to include places like New Hampshire etc and just go drag it back behind the car. There are a fair amount of 16 I/Os coming on the market now so you should have some choices.

Third thing, if you decide to go older have a pressure test done to check the gas tank.

If you find one people here would be glad to put a quick set of eyes on it before you have to travel any distance. Good Luck!
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Talk about kill joy. Salt is good for stringer and transom preservation where as fresh water rots every thing. We owned a 1964 Trojan F31 bought new. All plywood planning hull the boats rotted from the top down from rain water leaking at the deck line. never had an ounce of rot in the bilge. Doesn't matter what year it is you'll always get hammered by the gas tank poopers A new 350 motor and the new interior are worth the price of the boat add paint on top of that. BAM! your ahead of the game. It's a sixteen foot boat not a 60 foot Hatteras. It's a gamble with any boat. there are drain holes in the stringer in the engine bay . stick your finger in the hole and feel side to side you'll be able to see if there is rot that is where it starts at the drain holes. Check that all the circuits wok and look at the buss bars they'll give you an indication as to how the wire connectors are fairing. good luck
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Not trying to be a killjoy, just some food for thought. I will say this, my '76 2+3 has the original tank and it's going strong!
    DUNESMAN

get a mechanical survey
    loosen hose clamp on bellows check for water or rust
    psi check drive check water hoses fitting
    compression check
    running sea trail
    pull a bolt out off stringer and check wood

and ask if they want to sell that ice cream truck I always wanted a good humor truck to do car shows
    mario

OK - I see the Craig's List ad now.

Looks clean from the outside. More pix would help.

Oyster Bay is salt (duh) - not a deal breaker but there's no substitute for a long time fresh water boat IMO.

Check transom and stringers and agree - get a survey.

Price is probably fair - just keep your check book well padded.

Where will you use the boat?

+1 on the Good Humor truck!

If you are set on lounge seating hard to go wrong with this 1996 .................

1996 Donzi 16' Classic with trailer

SS drive
    New motor - 350 w/Whipple blower
    New headers
    New wiring
    Interior is excellent
    Exterior is excellent
    Trailer needs some minor cosmetic work.
    Too much to list
    Topped out at 75 GPS but still has more to go
    Thought I wanted a go-fast like when I was young and dumb. Just don't seem to use it like I thought I would

Call Steve

301-908-0857

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    If you are set on lounge seating hard to go wrong with this 1996 .................

1996 Donzi 16' Classic with trailer

SS drive
    New motor - 350 w/Whipple blower
    New headers
    New wiring
    Interior is excellent
    Exterior is excellent
    Trailer needs some minor cosmetic work.
    Too much to list
    Topped out at 75 GPS but still has more to go
    Thought I wanted a go-fast like when I was young and dumb. Just don't seem to use it like I thought I would

Call Steve

301-908-0857

That's a lot of boat for $8700 It's also a lot of boat for your first ride in a Donzi
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    That's a lot of boat for $8700 It's also a lot of boat for your first ride in a Donzi
    It's not $8,700. It's $15k which is reasonable for what it is. Having the ponies doesn't mean you have to use them the first year Why waste time chasing the dream. Just buy it and he's done for at least 6 years. Makes the extra $6k a grand a year in incremental fun

I always felt the lounge seating 16 was a "bigger" boat than the 2 +2 16 classic. The L seating lends itself very well to water sports and to lounge out in the sun. We had the routine down pretty well as a family of 4 shimey this way slide that way. The buckets seats make it a better flat out wot for the passenger but get in the way for just about everything else.
    a seasoned 16 L seat passenger learns the crouching crane or bracing bear techniques which make running hard and fast easy . The 16 is a great boat and a blast to drive everyone should have one once in the lifetime.

BTW someone is going to have to prove the bilge is bigger in the 18 than a 16 According to the designer the 16 was cut in two and the length added amidships forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information