Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Lake George Boat Launch Rules and locations

New Lake George Boat Launch Rules and locations

Their not messing around. You will be limited to where you will be able to launch you boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

actually, you are limited only to the inspection station locations shown, once it is inspected and they attach the ring seal you can launch at the ramp(s) of your choice is what I was told.. it would be a GOOD idea to get your LG sticker first though, to save time before you arrive at the inspection site, if sticker sales are not performed at the inspection site shown on the map.
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I hope they can be succesful with these efforts. Lake Powell tried to keep the mussels out for several years but it failed. The effort out here invloved way too many agencies so it was doomed for failure from the beginning. Worst part of all is that they expected people to be truthful when they brought their boats into the park. Our boat inspections were not mandatory and would only happen if the boater admitted that the boat had been in contiminated water. Several boaters were caught at the ramp during the process with contaminated boats but eventually someone got through and contaminated the lake.

If they don't inspect, bait wells, ballast tanks, anchors & lines, or anything that's been in the water they're gonna get through.
    RickS-E

I support the LG Park Commission, they take water quality very seriously.

Compliance doesn't seem to be that much of an inconvenience: the price is right (free) and the operating hours for the Inspection Stations are reasonable (6am - 9pm in some cases).

But if you are trailering in for an event, or arriving late - definitely budget a little more time. A clean boat isn't normally an issue for most of the Donzi owners I've met!

More info at www.LGBoatinspections.com

IMG_1752.JPG

The Lake George Park Commission is a mindless, vast bureaucracy with endless rules and regs which do little/nothing for the lake. It is a no-work jobs factory of bureaucracy. Their main role is to force people to buy LG stickers and permits and then they go around checking for stickers which is basically racketeering. Now they have added this pointless, inadequate inspection system decades after Zebra mus. and Milfoil among others have already been introduced into the lake. It will be a total cluster and will accomplish little to nothing except expand the bureaucracy, increase costs, and expand no-work jobs. Classic big govt in action. It will keep boats off the lake tho...If the LGPC actually did anything to preserve the lake I would support it, but in it's current form, if it vanished tomorrow (like it did in the 80s) sadly, nothing would change.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

But what do you really think?

Seriously though, the water quality has deteriorated in the 45 years I've been going to the lake. Invasives are only part of the problem. Pesticides, fertilizers, run-off, road salt and on and on. Sure LGPC is a vast bureaucracy, but raising awareness, educating boaters and enforcing common sense rules are probably the only things that can make a difference at this point.

See ya on the water - if the ice ever melts.....

The LGDCC has always cared for the lake and the water conditions . we have asked for some clarification on the process and we will keep you posted. We are extremely interested in the procedure and the length it takes .

once the inspection is done and the boat will launch at another ramp the boat is sealed to the trailer we think that only ramp owner will be able to unseal the boat legally, they remove the seal which has a number for tracking. the boat comes back and the ramp owner can reseal the boat to be relaunched with out re-inspection. if the boat owner cuts the seal it means it needs to be inspected again.

The way I have read the law which has a sunset date on it so it may not be for good, I think it has a two year limit then review to see if it has made any impact. If it has not made an impact on the lake it goes away

I can get inspected get the boat sealed( wire lash to trailer with a reuseable lock to anyone who has a key like a ramp owner) I can launch recapture and have the boat resealed and leave it on the trailer at the ramp site or storage facility for anytime then relaunch. If I take the boat home and leave it on the trailer and sealed I can come back months later and relaunch. If i launch my boat at home and have to cut the seal when i come back i need an inspection. there are unknown liabilities and costs that will make some ramp owners close their ramps to use.

the courtesy inspections took about 15 minutes without cleaning also without lines. It is easy to say that this will add sometime to splashing for day use, we will monitor the situation and keep you posted. My guess the inspection will take an hour with waiting in line to getting to the ramp and another hour for cleaning if needed. By summers end I think the process will be shorter with practice

the best policy is be prepared cleaned drained and dry and also be prepared to have the tech come onboard one may want to remove the interior during the process and have towels handy. They are going to go thru all lockers,lines,fenders,tubs,storage areas, anchors,bilge. Make sure you have what you need to run you boat on the hose especially if it is an older volvo AQ boat which don't like muffs

leave time if you figure the amount of trailered boats at the hotels on the lake that use their own ramps and the normal checkin / checkout days the weekend could be quite crowded at these inspection sites.

We will keep you posted
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I'd move if I lived anywhere near this cluster %#$$$%%

Sounds like the result, regardless of the intent, will be to radically reduce visitors to the lake. People who call that lake home will be largely unaffected. Visitors will go elsewhere.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sounds like the result, regardless of the intent, will be to radically reduce visitors to the lake. People who call that lake home will be largely unaffected. Visitors will go elsewhere.
    Businesses will be affected. The 45 mph speed limit is uncalled for too. Do the Finger Lakes or Lake Champlan have these restrictions? The Great Lakes do not. Rules: http://www.lakegeorge.com/boating/regulations.cfm
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Cool

Oh Boy, Don N is going to have keep the "cooler" squeaky clean for inspection...........

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Businesses will be affected. The 45 mph speed limit is uncalled for too. Do the Finger Lakes or Lake Champlan have these restrictions? The Great Lakes do not. Rules: http://www.lakegeorge.com/boating/regulations.cfm
    Not really a fair comparision Lake George is a NY STATE PARK not a public waterway, If you compare Lake George to other lakes in NY STATE PARKS you will find that it is one of the few that allow motorboats of any kind. There are other lakes in NY that have the speed limit Lake George doesn't really enforce the speed limit unless you rip 10 feet off the shore or 10 feet off a canoe , kyack or fishing vessel. You would have to drive like a total arsehole to get attention for speeding. Noise on the other hand is what they really look for ,they are a few decibels lower 89 than NY state instead of 90 which is a standard in most states.

Anyone that has visited the area knows the unique beauty and resource the lake is. It is the drinking water for the region and the economic lifline for the residents and business owners in the area. They are trying to preserve and maintain the water quality of the lake . the issue with invasive species started in other waterways like the great lakes years ago had the word gone out then maybe these type of mandates might not be necessary but that is water under the bridge now.

the area is a tourist mecca they will not see any real dip in profits from this they may see some unwanted side effects that on saturday mornings the traffic is backed up out of norwal onto the road to the sagamore then up into bolton landing. the law doesn't really effect locals nor will it effect boat rentals in fact it may add a boom to that segement of the market. There are 10s of thousands who go to the lake each year most of which never get out on the water. The impact on marinas and ramp owners is not known. The ramp will become a cost center for motels that have them , they will need to record and expend man power to operate the ramp.

one clarification i got was the lash is a one time thing once locked when it is opened it is done the ramp owner will have to attach a new lash. this sounds expensive to me and feel the "free" on this mandate is very short lived. NY state is great for creating mandates and creating agencies without creating funding for them . i just spent two years in a grass root movement to have a law for user fees on my lake overturned. The commision needed users fees to be funded. The commission on my lake used the Lake George Park Commision as their benchmark and template once locals saw how encompassing their authority was in the area it was a political hot potatoe local elected officials ducked for cover during the process. The law hit it's sunshine date and was never enforced.

I also feel that when people look at these things they just assume hey they have a boat they can afford it and we will target them with fees and taxes. This mandate is incomplete and should be for all vessels that use the lake including car-top boats . Joe Schmoe can take his canoe asian clamming throw it on his car when done drive to any lakeside place and flip the canoe into the water no questions asked?

It will be an interesting start to the season
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I just went through the inspection procedure for the Dustoff. It was fine. Took 15 min. They were friendly and cordial, and there was no charge.
    That being said, I wouldn't want to wait in a long line for it on a holiday weekend.

Eric

I never even knew that there was a 45mph speed limit on a lake the size of Lake George. That's of no interest to me although I'm sure a lot of folks agree with it and appreciate it. There was no speed limit this past Saturday for the New York Hudson River Poker Run. Made for a quick trip to West Point and back for the big dawgs like this OL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg-

We're talking boat inspections here, not speed limits.

I've been to two other "nice" north east lakes in the past year and they were both MAJOR disappointments in terms of water quality.

Although I was sailing at both lakes, I wouldn't even put my Donzi INTO either one of them - that bad.......
    LG is just too precious a resource to not take every opportunity to make a difference. And there's no point in being bitter and cynical about what should've been done 20 years ago or to complain about BIG Government. It is what it is and it's pretty much all hands on deck to keep the lake nice. That said - you either get it or you don't. But people at the ramps were very polite and very efficient and boaters did not seem to mind the inconvenience.

As far as speed limits go, the LG are realistic and much more likely to come down on reckless operators. We ran all weekend without a ticket for either noise or speed. We did get one polite chit chat for running 66 in the narrows - but no ticket.

The Lake ran a successful race boat demonstration in May and certainly no one gave the big Skater (trailer plate below) that blew by us on Saturday a ticket. Either of your 16s would've been a blast this weekend. I hope you join us one day.

IMG_3754.JPG

Thread Information