Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Faded red stripe

Faded red stripe

My 2000 Classic 18 is white with the factory red stripe on the bow and hatch area. The red stripe has faded quite a bit over the last 2 years from sitting out on the boat lift in the intense sun. My options:

1. Wet sand with 2000 grit and machine polish

2. Paint it

3. Find a correct appearing red decal and cut it to match. Where can I buy this?

I have a very good auto/boat detailer who thinks he can bring it back with a wet sand and polish. If that does not work, where can I find the decal OR what is the red paint code/color?

Any experiences you care to share would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

The guys out West do some amazing color sanding to bring back old stuff. If your detailer is a true fiberglass marine detailer I would think the gel is deep enough to bring it back. That said, red is the toughest color to "keep" so there will be elbow grease in your future.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thanks for your reply Greg. I have seen some of my guy's work. He's good. He said he will start on a small area and will have a pretty good idea how successful he's going to be before he keeps going. I don't mind the upkeep and am considering covering the boat while it's sitting on the lift. It's just hard to get a cover over it while it's on the lift. He's coming over next Sunday to work his "magic." We'll see.

Consider vinyl it lasts does not fade and looks great after a bunch of years, two boats back I had large vinyl lettering on the sides. It was 10 years old when I sold it the guy thought I was lying when I told him, there is another post up here about using vinyl.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Consider vinyl it lasts does not fade and looks great after a bunch of years, two boats back I had large vinyl lettering on the sides. It was 10 years old when I sold it the guy thought I was lying when I told him, there is another post up here about using vinyl.

Phil
    Hi Phil, Yes I had done a search before I posed the question and saw that thread. I don't know of anyone around here that does it. Is anyone selling a vinyl stripe just for these boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Capevettes View Post
    Thanks for your reply Greg. I have seen some of my guy's work. He's good. He said he will start on a small area and will have a pretty good idea how successful he's going to be before he keeps going. I don't mind the upkeep and am considering covering the boat while it's sitting on the lift. It's just hard to get a cover over it while it's on the lift. He's coming over next Sunday to work his "magic." We'll see.
    Yep, a small sample area will tell if the gel color is deep enough. You are lucky to have someone who is highly competent close to you. Most are car guys who throw in boats here and there. Should it work out, I'd be interested in what products he uses. One other thought (albeit a little wacky) is that you could have a simple cover sewn just for the stripe. Put a little weight in the V end that would grab the boats bow or lifting ring and then two snaps back at the windscreen. The weighted end would let you toss it out from the cockpit more easily. Then the red stripe would at least be covered and you would not have to deal with the re-fade over the season as much if at all.

I would not bother thinking about paint vinyl etc. yet unless your red gel-cote has already been wet-sanded. If its original, you should be able to start at 1000 or 1200 and then 1500 and 2000 paper. ( Have your guy confirm based on amount of fade) Then use 3m professional combination compound/wax(the purple lable, I forget the name, they changed it). Then fleetwax finish. The key to red is to keep it waxed properly. Have it done right and you should have no issues, don't try it yourself if you have not wet-sanded before.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

i have the same prob with my boat, im going to try heavy compound and the high speed buffer, but im sure there will be swirl marks. Have you gone that route yet?
    FISH HARD

You should be able to bring it back with either compound or wet sand but it will fade in the sun quickly again so either cover it after you compounded or I would do a vinyl wrap
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

When I bought the Minx w/its blue sides and stripe, it was already showing through the substrate, so I painted it.
    If I had the TR to do over, I'd have painted the deck for sure.
    A high end automotive paint will NOT fade, even red. I think paint
    has it all over gel for decks.
    Longer lasting finish
    Paint easily repairable
    Paint provides denser dark colors than gel
    Just plain easier to take care of.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    When I bought the Minx w/its blue sides and stripe, it was already showing through the substrate, so I painted it.
    If I had the TR to do over, I'd have painted the deck for sure.
    A high end automotive paint will NOT fade, even red. I think paint
    has it all over gel for decks.
    Longer lasting finish
    Paint easily repairable
    Paint provides denser dark colors than gel
    Just plain easier to take care of.
    +1 George hit the nail on the head.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I think it will always be pinkish unless you paint them.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to go ahead and see if we can get the color back with a wet sand this Sunday. Then I am going to ask my wife to sew up a cover, as was suggested, to protect the stripe. If it fades again I may just go ahead and paint it.

Thanks, Paul.

I think you will be fine with that "stripe only" cover helping and proper wax. Now if the entire top sides was red that is a different deal. On one of my 16s we decided to use gel on the hull bottom and sides and use paint on the deck and interior for fade reasons. Post up a before and after pic if you wouldn't mind.

Thumbs up

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes on Sunday.

Thread Information