Thread: 5.7 mag bravo mpi high performance?

5.7 mag bravo mpi high performance?

I recently purchased a 5.7 mpi for my 18, it is a bravo setup with a factory tunnel ram intake. I am under the impression that they were special order high perf engines from Mercury. Engine is at shop and didn't think of writing numbers down.It came out of a Scarab with twins,haven't seen any different performance figures looking around....anyone know?

very common engine, 300hp, it's not a *tunnel ram*, nothing high performance about them, low compression, 87 octane and go, I have one, runs great...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I have one but put a whipple on top.

Looks like a procharger candidate to me. Fuel system looks easily upgradeable.

The Bravo boat 18's with same HP will be 1-2 MPH slower, however, put a -2" shorty on it add some HP and hydraulic steering and hang on, or just put fuel in it and be assured you should never have a drive issue with the stock HP, best thing is you have options with the Bravo drive should you decide to go down that path, some of us have, full disclosure, once you start down that path it's an addiction, good luck in whatever fork you take. I'd also vote for the Whipple, I've been very happy with my set up, an EFI Whipple IMO is the only way to go.
    Steve

If it says Mag then it is high performance for a 5.7 It's just not a race engine "Yet"
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Just needs a fordged crank, bigger valvue alumium heads, forged pistons, bigger cam, a little forced induction, high volume fuel pump, oil pump, 8 qt. oil pan, medium duty oil cooler, -2" shorty, 30ish 3 blade tweeted prop, sea/sand strainer for the inter cooler and 25kish $$ later a solid 90 mph 18 and your golden with a reinforced engine compartment and hydrlic steering, but if you do you will have 1 hell of a ride, been there don it, if you do just wear a really good life jacket and wear your LAN yard cuz you will scare yourself, the rush and acceleration is off the hook!!! 55-85 happens in a heartbeat no BS it will soil the pants of the weak of heart!! Fastest I've been in my 18 was 92 and honestly I went there once and I was shaking when I got to the dock, 1 of a rush and 2nd of fear of OMG it was off the hook, I have no desire to donor again 89-90 I'm cool with bit the last 2 MPH, yeah REAL respect for those last 2 MPH, theory is more HP but that a whole other thread I'm out back to lurking for awhile.
    Steve

Hey Steve I will have mine out by May should be interesting. Its been year and a half yes lots of $$$$$.But it will be crazy..Steve where are you located.Craig

Kansas City, Missouri
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Quote Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
    Just needs a fordged crank, bigger valvue alumium heads, forged pistons,
    Steve
    I thought the mags came with forged crank , rods and pistons .. unless it's only the 502 mags ?
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Some 350 Mags had the forged cranks and some did not, the newer ones don't, not sure on when the change occurred, as far as the positons go, pretty sure all of the later ones have the hyper pistons

Thread Information