Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 Team Warlock 23 Offshore - The Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Not a fan of the the 28 ZXO?

Forgot about those! Still about 2x my realistic budget... especially the day after tax day.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Bill, when you sort out your (don't forget I have first dibs!) new 23 I have two folks you might want to eyeball. One is running a Spinelli 4 blade and clocking 92mph on a Team Warlock 23 Offshore, and the other is running a stock Bravo 1 wheel and laying down 86mph on GPS with a Team Warlock 24 Euro. Should be interesting to see how your 23 Offshore runs
    I am a little surprised that 4 blade props work best for both of those Warlocks. I will be trying a 3 blade Mirage on my first outing, but I'll change depending on the results.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

We finally got to take out the Warlock this afternoon and it could not have gone any better except for rain in the late afternoon Everything worked perfectly and I saw a top speed of 77MPH at 4900RPM using some port trim tab with the Mirage 25P prop. My wife and I both love the boat! Apparently the boat is a rain magnet since it got rained on the day I got it from Arizona and the first day out in it today - lol. It takes a little port trim tab to level it just like the 28' Warlock, but no big deal with the K planes. Anyway, just wanted to report the first outing results. Here is a short video my wife and I took this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSm218Gavw

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Looks like a great running boat! That has to be the buy of the year.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    We finally got to take out the Warlock this afternoon and I saw a top speed of 77MPH at 4900RPM using some port trim tab with the Mirage 25P prop. It takes a little port trim tab to level it just like the 28' Warlock, but no big deal with the K planes.
    Bill, these hulls do tend to run flatter than expected but you should not have to drag the left tab if she is carrying the bow enough. Some of that very slight "list" might depend on how low the Bravos prop shaft is below the keel. It should be around 4 1/2" below on that set-up I would think.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Looks like a great running boat! That has to be the buy of the year.
    I can't remember ever buying a boat for so little that had so much going for it.

Bill, these hulls do tend to run flatter than expected but you should not have to drag the left tab if she is carrying the bow enough. Some of that very slight "list" might depend on how low the Bravos prop shaft is below the keel. It should be around 4 1/2" below on that set-up I would think.
    I am still in the beginning stages of getting used to it. Next time out I will be sure to raise the tab and see how it performs at the faster speeds. The boat is quiet like the 28' Warlock with cored hull and silencer tips. The K planes sure do corrections quickly - I like a perfectly level boat when I run or I could probably do without using them. The boat gained quite a few MPH with just a flick of the drive trim to raise it very little from my cruising trim. It does some porpoising if you raise the trim too high at cruise. Overall, it feels wonderful and those front seats really hold you in place - an overweight person would be really wedged into them. Great boat!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Greg,
    I just got off the phone thanking Keith again for the Warlock. He confirmed that he custom ordered the gelcoat colors and went with the K plane upgrade after his buddies who raced with Stolarz told him he would end up getting them later if he didn't order them new from the factory when he ordered the boat. I'll be trying the prop he sent after talking to him - it came off his friend's 28' Warlock who had a set custom made and ran until he upgraded the engines. Keith got the right hand one. By the way, Keith told me that cloth material is called yacht cloth and that I could probably still find it. Onwards.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Greg,
    I just got off the phone thanking Keith again for the Warlock. He confirmed that he custom ordered the gelcoat colors and went with the K plane upgrade after his buddies who raced with Stolarz told him he would end up getting them later if he didn't order them new from the factory when he ordered the boat. I'll be trying the prop he sent after talking to him - it came off his friend's 28' Warlock who had a set custom made and ran until he upgraded the engines. Keith got the right hand one. By the way, Keith told me that cloth material is called yacht cloth and that I could probably still find it. Onwards.
    Yep, those are custom gel colors and the massive K plane upgrade is a nice one for sure. These hulls being only 6'8" wide are very sensitive to weight location and distribution as you might imagine. As you get some seat time and figure things out it'll be interesting to see if the list goes away. Depending on the drive depth most guys run 4 blades on these 23 Offshores. One guy even ran an extension box on his which I found interesting. The yacht cloth could probably be sourced thru ARKO if needed. It is really unique stuff. I wonder who made it back in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, those are custom gel colors and the massive K plane upgrade is a nice one for sure. These hulls being only 6'8" wide are very sensitive to weight location and distribution as you might imagine. As you get some seat time and figure things out it'll be interesting to see if the list goes away. Depending on the drive depth most guys run 4 blades on these 23 Offshores. One guy even ran an extension box on his which I found interesting. The yacht cloth could probably be sourced thru ARKO if needed. It is really unique stuff. I wonder who made it back in the day.

Keith told me today that he had tried a 4 blade or two and that they did not work well on his Warlock. With the boat, he included a new Mirage Plus 25P and a Mirage 23P, but he claims the converted OMC 3 blade Raker 24P worked the best for speed and overall characteristics.
    I will try to find some yacht cloth before too much time goes by. He had the engine cover redone about 10 or so years ago at the Warlock plant, but he did not know if it was still available now. I think he was glad to hear how much I like the boat .

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill, these hulls do tend to run flatter than expected but you should not have to drag the left tab if she is carrying the bow enough.
    Sounds like it has a bad bottom. I have $10k waiting for you....
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I forgot to mention that the water pressure gauge read about 8PSI at cruise (0 on the hose), but since I have never had one, I have no idea what would be considered ideal.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Sounds like it has a bad bottom. I have $10k waiting for you....
    Apparently I will need to part it out. I couldn't take advantage of your generous offer, but I really appreciate your trying to bail me out of this floating disaster.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I forgot to mention that the water pressure gauge read about 8PSI at cruise (0 on the hose), but since I have never had one, I have no idea what would be considered ideal.
    Bill, there is only 10 hours on that new mill, correct? I'd be looking at what the water temp gauge is showing when you are cruising at say 4000 rpms and getting 8psi? 8 sounds pretty low. I would check into that and get a couple of opinions. Also, give a quick call to Morgan's. You don't want any surprises.

Bill, there is only 10 hours on that new mill, correct? I'd be looking at what the water temp gauge is showing when you are cruising at say 4000 rpms and getting 8psi? 8 sounds pretty low. I would check into that and get a couple of opinions. Also, give a quick call to Morgan's. You don't want any surprises.
    Good idea Greg. Yes, 12 hours on new engine. Actually, the water temp never came up - at least at cruise. I didn't watch any gauges except the tach, speed, and trim gauges when I punched it only once to full throttle. Oil pressure stayed high, never saw oil temp over 170, and depth gauge was intermittant at cruise. I checked the oil at the end of the day and it was like new clean and full. I might pull a valve cover to see if condensation is building up. Overall, the engine had absolutely no glitches and ran perfect.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Rain??

I am sure you guys will know what I mean when I say it always rains when you get a new boat, bike, motorcycle or go kart. Been that way my whole like. Guess its God saying "OK, you want a go kart? Then it comes with rain" :0

We finally got to take out the Warlock this afternoon and it could not have gone any better except for rain in the late afternoon Everything worked perfectly and I saw a top speed of 77MPH at 4900RPM using some port trim tab with the Mirage 25P prop. My wife and I both love the boat! Apparently the boat is a rain magnet since it got rained on the day I got it from Arizona and the first day out in it today - lol. It takes a little port trim tab to level it just like the 28' Warlock, but no big deal with the K planes. Anyway, just wanted to report the first outing results. Here is a short video my wife and I took this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSm218Gavw
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Thread Information