Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are 22 C Hulls Bonded, Screwed Or Both?

Are 22 C Hulls Bonded, Screwed Or Both?

This came up on OSO. Here is what mine looks like under the bow. Obviously there are rub-rail screws visible. Is it bonded also? Mine's an '05.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

You need to ask Ted or Josh to be sure. If it is bonded, I'd suspect something non-permanent. It's good to be able to get the deck off w/o too much trouble.

FWIW, your hull inside is laid up w/the same 0*-90* bi-directional stitched material mine was. The deck inner surface is different. I'd guess your deck was done w/a chopper gun.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    You need to ask Ted or Josh to be sure. If it is bonded, I'd suspect something non-permanent. It's good to be able to get the deck off w/o too much trouble.

FWIW, your hull inside is laid up w/the same 0*-90* bi-directional stitched material mine was. The deck inner surface is different. I'd guess your deck was done w/a chopper gun.
    Good info. I like that the hull is solid glass with no core, even if it is heavier. It has held up to a pounding after the early issues were fixed.

Here's the thread on OSO, they say that mine isn't bonded : http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-together.html

Carl, I'm sure yours would be the same as mine, being you have an 05 and I have an 04.
    When I removed my deck it was screwed to the hull. There was a sealer, which was possibly 4200 or maybe 5200.

When I installed the new deck, I used 4200 and bolted it together.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Carl, I'm sure yours would be the same as mine, being you have an 05 and I have an 04.
    When I removed my deck it was screwed to the hull. There was a sealer, which was possibly 4200 or maybe 5200.

When I installed the new deck, I used 4200 and bolted it together.
    Glen, I'm glad you piped up. I woke up this morning thinking you had changed decks (and Lenny got your old deck).
    No Glen, I don't make a habit of waking up and thinking of you, but it happened today..
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

No water has ever come through the joint that I know of. Does a 4200 sealant qualify as "bonded"? Some of the hulls on OSO are glassed together.

I think they answered my question. There is a big difference between bonded and glassed and most are at least "bonded". The chopper gun glass under the deck seems surprising to some and I've never been happy with the wiring. I've posted this pic before. This is stock wiring.

Does it look like the side of the liner is chopper gunned?

in my mind bonded means chemically joined to become one, so I think it is screwed ,sealed and then bonded. the older classics had small glass tabs to hold the deck to the hull. did they drop that practice in the newer models for a "glued" deck hull joint?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Glen, I'm glad you piped up. I woke up this morning thinking you had changed decks (and Lenny got your old deck).
    No Glen, I don't make a habit of waking up and thinking of you, but it happened today..
    I like you too George........just not in that way.

Carl ,judging from your pics , and past experience your hull is not bonded to the deck , and if it was .......you would not see a gap or void where the hull meets the deck or shoebox fit .

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Carl ,judging from your pics , and past experience your hull is not bonded to the deck , and if it was .......you would not see a gap or void where the hull meets the deck or shoebox fit .
    So the deck will pop right off if I remove the rub rail? It looks like a beefy joint and has held up so I guess it's OK. Does the deck underside look like chopper gun or hand laid mat?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    in my mind bonded means chemically joined to become one, so I think it is screwed ,sealed and then bonded. the older classics had small glass tabs to hold the deck to the hull. did they drop that practice in the newer models for a "glued" deck hull joint?
    Matty brings up a good point. "What is bonded"? To me, bonded is fully glassed together, or an industial adhesive is used. I'm not sure if 5200 be considered "bonded"?

Oh...and Carl...I believe the footwell/front storage tub is chopper glass. At least the one I got with my new deck (in 08?) looked like it.

Carl , quick mention when ever i bond a hull to the deck the gap or void between the hull and deck is filled with a putty made from Cabosil & resin with two staggered pieces of glasss 4 inches wide by two foot in length bonding the hull to the deck which in the long run will provide the boat ( hull & deck ) with more structural integrity.

Carl the underside of the deck is CSM which means Chop Strand Mat which can be applied by a chopper gun or by hand .....................meaning that in the long run hopefully a Laminator ( hand layup - lol ) was there to roll out all the air if any with a laminating roller .

Mine is definately through bolted together.......something over 200 of them.
    However there is RTV in the joint.....just for sealing. But notice, all the visible glass is stitched material.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Matty brings up a good point. "What is bonded"? To me, bonded is fully glassed together, or an industial adhesive is used. I'm not sure if 5200 be considered "bonded"?
    Yeller , personally in my opinion yes bonded means glassed together .

Thread Information