Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windshield old style/ new style 22C

Windshield old style/ new style 22C

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm from sweden so please be aware that my spelling is far from perfect

I just bought my first donzi, an -98 22 classic with the stainless windshield frame. Now I'm a big fan of the new style windshield without the frame and was wondering if they would pretty much look the same if I removed the top stainless frame from my old windshield, painted the frame black and mounted some new fresh acrylic windshields.Would this be possible?

This is how my Windshield looks: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/22274
    this is the look that I'm after: http://www.donzimarine.com/Boats/Classic_22.html

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the board! You might want to also consider powder coating it.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Yes, powdercoating works well.
    Here's a couple of shots of my '88 22C Testa Rossa.
    I powdercoated almost all my deck equipment including the rail.
    This is a very shiny platinum color called "Crushed Silver". It's pretty impressive in the sun shine.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

The aluminum fairing is another option. My boat came from the factory with it but you can buy them through Donzi Direct. Clamp on wind deflectors work well on them also for the cooler days.

Welcome to Donziland.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

thanks for the answer guys!Maybe I did'nt make myself clear enough

My plan is to remove only the upper bit of the frame, the long piece that is connected to the hull (a foot further back then the rest of the windshield) To make it look like the new type of windshield that doesnt have this piece at all.

this is the piece i'm thinking of removing:

So my question is: is the other parts, angels and bends the same as on the new type windshield? has anyone tried this before?

cheers!

Your windshield will be thinner than the new ones and may not be stable without the frame. The frameless windshields are much thicker. Yours is probably about 9mm and the newer ones will be at least 12mm.

A lot of people want what you have. Advertise here and on donzi.org to swap with someone that has the newer style.

I'd do you a straight swap in a heartbeat, but my windshield isn't in the best shape.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

100% agree with yeller, it will be a mistake to remove the frame support as you would be inviting a problem. I might do it in steps, powdercoat it first and use it that way for a season. Then make a next decision. Powder coat is not expensive. If you are running in freshwater than just about any powder coat shop can do the work. If you are running in salt you will want to research the shop to ensure they have the best bonding technology and have done salt with a good track record. Good luck.

Heck, if you really want the newer style windshield I'd probably sell your current windshield, complete and buy a new style one. I bet you'd be money ahead in the end. The older style stainless windshields haven't been available for a while and you should be able to get a fair amount of money for it.

Otherwise, yes don't take the top frame members off and expect to have a stout windshield. The plexi in the factory stainless windshields was typically 3/16" think and not very strong on its own. The newer frameless windshields were 3/8" thick.
    RickS-E

Something else to consider is the windshield mounting screws down the side of the cockpit are not through bolted through the glass (at least mine weren't, and the underside isn't accessible). Obviously, the side pieces aren't very strong, regardless of thickness. While my deck was off, I through bolted the frame. I guess that makes mine non-serviceable but stronger.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

thanks for all the great advices!

Yes, sell the frame and buy a new style one would definetly be the best solution. the problem is that I live in sweden and there are not many 22C owners around here. Shipping the windshield would probably be possible, but probably a pain in the ass.

anyhow, if someone on here is interested in swapping windshield, or know anyone who is= let me know!

and just for curiosity, is it only the thickness fo the windshield thats different from the new style windshield? is the "curves, bends and size" the same as the new style?

thanks again guys!

Also, your picture of the newer windshield shows front corner pieces similar to your existing corners.
    If you're really interested in proceeding, disassemble your windshield, use the existing plastic pieces for templates for thicker replacements.
    Cut the front corner pieces down in height to eliminate the extra height that exists where the corner tops are inserted into the upper frame corner pieces. The inside studs on the front corner pieces may not be long enough to go through both the new thicker plastic pieces and the inner corner pieces. You might even consider having a sheet metal shop fabricate some new front corner pieces so the original corner pieces are still available.
    The same sheet metal or fabrication shop can re-create the new lower side, bottom reinforcement stainless pieces, ditto for the front lower reinforcement.
    The really hard part will be through bolting the side pieces through the cockpit sides.
    Good luck!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I wish you well.
    Here's a link to my own efforts at windshield building:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...eld&highlight=
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

not sure youve seen this style, seems pretty rare. maybe this is more favorable? built in wind deflectors

Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250
    MTI TA trailer thanks to Dr Dan!

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

Some one had that built from scratch with the built in high windscreens

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Some one had that built from scratch with the built in high windscreens
    Nope, actually it was the standard mid '80's 22C windshield. The hard/expensive part of that windshield was the turn around the front corners. It suffered from the same problems the Minx windshield did, a high rejection rate from the fabricator.
    Bud Staples told me they only accepted about six out of ten windshields as the rest didn't fit.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information