Thread: Original 2005 Batteries Still Test Good!

Original 2005 Batteries Still Test Good!

Yep, I just load tested both of my original batteries and they are fine! They have 9 seasons on them. I bring them indoors every winter and keep them charged.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Yep, I just load tested both of my original batteries and they are fine! They have 9 seasons on them. I bring them indoors every winter and keep them charged.

I also have a 22C with dual batteries and have been taking them out every fall, storing them in my basement and putting them back in in the spring.

Each year it gets harder to remove and replace them because of the weight and the placement of the gas shocks for hatch.

I just purchased a Deltran Battery Tender 2-Bank Management System(charges 2 batteries simutaneously). It fully charges and maintains the batteries at proper storage voltage. It came with 2 sets of fused alligator clips and 2 sets of fused ring terminals.

My plan is to use the ring terminals and run the wires up through the rear bilge vents and connect them to the charging unit for the winter months.

Cost was around $85.

I use a Deltran 1-Bank on my street rod for the winter and run it through a timer(3 hours in a 24 hour period). It fired right last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mc donzi View Post
    I also have a 22C with dual batteries and have been taking them out every fall, storing them in my basement and putting them back in in the spring.

Each year it gets harder to remove and replace them because of the weight and the placement of the gas shocks for hatch.

I just purchased a Deltran Battery Tender 2-Bank Management System(charges 2 batteries simutaneously). It fully charges and maintains the batteries at proper storage voltage. It came with 2 sets of fused alligator clips and 2 sets of fused ring terminals.

My plan is to use the ring terminals and run the wires up through the rear bilge vents and connect them to the charging unit for the winter months.

Cost was around $85.

I use a Deltran 1-Bank on my street rod for the winter and run it through a timer(3 hours in a 24 hour period). It fired right last spring.
    The cold still has to take a toll on them. Especially this brutal winter. Even though everything is stored in garages I remove the batteries from the boat, Mustangs and lawn tractor every year and keep them in the basement. It seems to be paying off. I'm especially impressed with the durability of the cheap original boat batteries and the pounding that they take!

are they maintaince free batteries carl? I just dont have much luck with batteries...
    in the camper or the boat. I had the m/f battery blow up in the boat last fall whaile i had the charger on it
    I was at the helm when the dam thing blew up,,, i thought right away that the boat was done, it blew the top
    off of it damaged the hatch edge a little bit,,, the battery seemed dry, the inside was actually dusty. there was
    some acid in it, it stained the chrome exhaust
    FISH HARD

I have an Optima Blue that was eight years old, a few years ago. Still going strong. Batteryminder helps tremendously.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

9 years: awesome.

announcing 9 years: guarantees 10 won't happen.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    are they maintaince free batteries carl? I just dont have much luck with batteries...
    in the camper or the boat. I had the m/f battery blow up in the boat last fall whaile i had the charger on it
    I was at the helm when the dam thing blew up,,, i thought right away that the boat was done, it blew the top
    off of it damaged the hatch edge a little bit,,, the battery seemed dry, the inside was actually dusty. there was
    some acid in it, it stained the chrome exhaust
    They need water & maintenance. They're just cheap Excide batteries & that's what's so amazing! I saw a battery explode once.

well i'm gonna start this season with two new batteries, i think i will call the excide dealer and
    go from there,,,
    FISH HARD

I worked next to an Exide battery company in Hollis NH. They maintained locomotive train batteries. The owner told me that the worst thing for a battery is to die and be recharged over and over. They become porous and the lead flakes off and a sediment builds up at the bottom of the battery shorting out the plates Perhaps one of those battery tenders will be on my need to buy list
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Nothing kills a battery faster than over charging. Be careful with the tenders. I had one once and it never turned off. It was a "battery tender" brand that i would not recommend. The battery never got to the point where the tender would decide to shut off so it destroyed the battery in no time. Watch it the first time.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Lead acid batteries have a normal, slow drain rate while sitting. I just charge mine a couple times a season with a 2/10 amp charger. I put one battery in the boat today.

I think there is a member here that had a garage fire due to a battery tender or charger overheating... took out the whole garage and his Ducati if I remember right
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    I think there is a member here that had a garage fire due to a battery tender or charger overheating... took out the whole garage and his Ducati if I remember right
    It was a Buell M2. Saved the garage, 2/10 amp sears charger

Thread Information