Thread: Sweet 16 Where have they all gone?

Question Sweet 16 Where have they all gone?

Is it just me, but it seems of late in the last year , the Sweet 16 with the wrap seat seems to have dropped off the radar. Their seems to be so few of the boats forsale anymore even the twin bucket 16 seems to be in low numbers out there. A lot of 18's for sale.......

what gives..Maybe the lack of new ones and low production numbers since 1964 has caught up with supply and demand...?

cgentile

Looking for a companion for your teal 16?? ..Ed

No... i was toying selling it for a 18 , but I get close to selling then get cold feet. I keep eyeing the 18 but for the cost difference and what im doing with it , still thinking new MPI V8 in a perfect boat my 16
    may be the way to go... its so dam pretty.
    c

How much quicker do you think it will be with a V8 ?, I am considering putting one in my 16, I have the same set up as you , 4.3 Alpha 1

If the V8 is around 260 hp, you MIGHT gain 4 or 5 mph depending on your outdrive.

I boat with a guy who has a 1990 Sweet 16 with the V6 4.3 2 bbl. His boat, with the OMC Cobra outdrive and a 21 stainless prop will run 54-55.

My 1967 Ski-Sporter with a 260 hp SBC running a Volvo 290 with trim, 1.61:1 ratio and an 24 Volvo Ultra Stainless prop ran 57.3 on GPS. I would give you another couple mph if you are using a Merc outdrive, so you might go from 54 up to 59. It takes a lot of hp to get a 16 running 60.

Now my boat, with the same drive, and a Solas 23 prop, and new 430+ hp SBC, I run 65.2 GPS mph. His V6 burns a LOT less gas than my 409 SBC. Sure, I can crush him on acceleration, but for what we do most of the time, which is cruise between 35 and 45, he is WAY more efficient with respect to fuel economy.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thanks for that, my boat is a 1999 16 fitted with 4.3 Alpha 1, with a 22" Mercury 'Enertia' ? Prop, it runs low 50s, just looking for a way of "waking it up" a little, cgentile told me what props he was running when he shot that nice video of his 16, ............what I really need is a 'Magic wand'.........Abra Cadabra...make my boat go a little quicker.............!!......Hmm......I'll have to look on ebay..

The short answer is - only a couple of mph - low/mid 50s to mid/high 50s.

However- your boat will SOUND twice as fast, guaranteed!

Other than that, Bill is spot on.

There is a V6 16 from Winnie that I've run with many times - mostly in the air, it is every bit as fast as my boat.

agreed
    if you are looking to gain speed your efforts would be better spent in a nice small block in an 18 it will be faster , ride better and it will be easier on your passengers.
    don't get me wrong I loved my 16 it is a great boat but I will never own one again I spent years trying to make it faster but it is still only a 16 footer and once you ridden in a larger classic you'll never look back .
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I hear what you say, however, there are a couple of slight problems, One, I'm in the U.K. and mine is the only 16 I have seen over here for over 40 years...!! there may be a few others , but I have never seen or heard of any, and two, have never seen an 18 and I don't think there are any here at all, so I'll have to stick with the 16.

That's fine then go with what Bill said and be okay with adding great sound and only a few mph.

My comment was really more meant for cgentile he was toying with selling the 16 for an 18
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Its super hard to part with a boat that you have a lot of love and sweat into and you know how good it is ... i run a 25 pitch lazer 11 it has been super perfect prop.
    Most of the time its me or one other, agreed 16 and the sweet 16 is not ideal for passengers...

I think my goal is to do the motor with a v8 mpi 260 horse and a 147 gearing with the lazer 11.. drive it until I come across a 18 40th addition.
    Ugh its a sickness this Donzi love affair..lol.

Maybe just have two in the yard and hoist swap... its interesting to hear once 16 owners have gone to the 18 they never look back..

c

Ps .. I do like that comment will sound twice as fast..

Quote Originally Posted by cgentile View Post
    Its super hard to part with a boat that you have a lot of love and sweat into and you know how good it is ...

c

I know been there done that even toyed with idea of buying her back my advice would be if you are going to a v8 to make sure it has 300+ HP that will bring a smile to your face and a ring to your ears
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

It's always tempting to compare the 16 and the 18 (I now own one of each), but it's also a little unfair.

The 16 has more historic significance because it came first and really established "The Look" of the classic Donzi.
    It was a small boat that punched well above its weight and had drop-dead styling and looks. I also read that it was Don A's favorite boat in the line-up.

When I was fortunate enough to meet co-designer Walt Walters several years ago, he was VERY proud of the 16. To him, the 18 was almost an afterthought, they cut a 16 mold in half, added 18" in the middle and faired it back together. To Walt, the 16 was the breakthrough boat and the 18 was just a quick and easy refinement.

Now we all know that the 18 is a little bigger, a little faster and a little better riding, but it's like comparing a Porsche 356 and a 911. The 911 is of course a better car, but both cars get equal respect in the collector market.

The trick is to appreciate each boat for what it is and not to make it into something that it isn't. It's possible to like both chocolate AND vanilla!

I agree , I love both, but at the dock the love and smile a pretty 16 brings to everyone is always fun to watch. love the fact they added 18 inches to the middle, I have never looked in the engine bay of a 18 it must be larger to fit the 350 mag...?

Thread Information