Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Love The Classics So Much?

Why Do We Love The Classics So Much?

Seriously. I'm not sure why I have almost 100g into a 22 C when I could have much more boat for the money. Others have more than that in them, like hotshot Mick, Mr. X, the fellow from Norway, Parnell and more. We have to climb the drives to board after a swim, we have no cupholders and not nearly enough storage space. Seats are nothing special. But we like them! For me I think it's because I've always admired them, I can use it on the small lakes and the Great ones so I only need one boat, I love driving it as it takes skill and gives satisfaction and thrills. Now Baja will be selling a 22 Classic alongside a 24 Outlaw. Why would someone choose the Donzi?

Why do we like them so much?

Why do you like yours so much?

Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Even after all these years I LOVE the look of the Classics. IMHO there's still not many boats that look near as nice and none of those are new.

I chose the Donzi Classics for their ability to handle water bigger than their size would indicate and still feel like a sportscar on glass. There is also a piece of mind that I have knowing it's a proven design and stands up.

When the 16 Ski Sporter is finished, I'll be lookin for a 20' - 25' hull for my next project. You can bet it will not be a Chris Craft Stinger...even though I love the new 20' Lancer!
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

let's remember there are more classic donzi than just the 16 18 and 22, some are direct heirs to the legacy of Don and his racing operations, some are the vision of Walt Walters or the Chisholms or the Staples.

In their day the Donzi Brand were the zenith of the market known for quality performance and styling. the allure to me has always been having one of the early boats that were true Aronow boats. The best thing I saw was Walt getting back into one of his designs 40 years later just as it looked the day it rolled out of the factory. I can see for some it's speed or the styling, my addiction is more for the history/legacy/mystique then the styling and speed come in. To know I have a piece of history from the golden era of Thunderboat row the fact that it looks great runs great and handles big water is all gravy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Oozes Sex

I remember a magazine article a long, long time ago that, referring to the Sweet 16, stated "Donzi oozes sex." Yep. 'Enuf said.
    2009 Classic 16
    NW Tampa Bay

The Classics are the foundation of an entire culture in boating.

My reasoning was simple.My good friend Kenny Ross
    inherited 5 million big ones in 1965 and bought a grumble green 16 He also had a Rolex
    Penis envy took over and I had to have them too
    (still have the Rolex)
    Saw a pic of John Chisholm in a Criterion 11
    and it was love at first sight. Never found a 11 for sale
    so I settled on Johns SS ....Ed

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    let's remember there are more classic donzi than just the 16 18 and 22
    I'm definately lovin' the Hornets (I, II & III), the Minx, Critter (and Critter II), GT21 anf F22 ! However, I have only owned and/or driven a C18 and a C16 so, I figured I could comment on them. I'm hoping I'll find a C22, Hornet, Minx or GT21 in need of TLC when I'm ready.

The history is cool but, many Marques have an interesting history. I've done the factory original old Porsche thing and after that I'm all about making whatever I have my own... to suit my purposes. Showroom original is great for those that aspire to it... it's just not for me.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

The historical aspect is cool but I purchased my boat new and don't want to see it become a part of history. It was a current model with current running gear. The upgrades I have done are still up to date. Soon the Classics may be done and soon the 525 EFI may be discontinued. Then I will have an old boat with a great pedigree I guess! I will keep it though mainly because I really enjoy driving it and I can afford to drive it often.

One thing I've learned from these forums is that I never want to restore one! I like driving them, not working on them.

With the Donzi 16 I don't think you can get a hull that will do as well in rough water and still give good speeds. What other performance 16 footers have a 24 degree deadrise?

Then, when you add to that and try a 16 OB Baby, you get a rare 1 of 170 build and you get even better performance. Then, you realize that no one is willing to pay for them and you can get a very clean package for $10k turnkey ready to go that is fast, fun, cheap on fuel, and the best hull out there for rough water under 17'. The topper is the design of the 16's are timeless unlike this guys hair style.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I saw my first Donzis in about 1967 and loved the look and ride - I knew I wanted one from way back then. In 1973 I saw an 18' listed in the Dallas Morning News classifieds - a 1971 18' 2+3 and went to see it after calling the seller. I will never forget that day when he rolled up his garage door - love at first sight!! After 1200 or so hours behind the wheel and lots of great times, I sold it in about 1978. When it resurfaced on Craigslist a few years ago, I bought it again and totally restored it with no plans to ever sell it again. A Donzi rocks! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    The historical aspect is cool but I purchased my boat new and don't want to see it become a part of history. It was a current model with current running gear. The upgrades I have done are still up to date. Soon the Classics may be done and soon the 525 EFI may be discontinued. Then I will have an old boat with a great pedigree I guess! I will keep it though mainly because I really enjoy driving it and I can afford to drive it often.

One thing I've learned from these forums is that I never want to restore one! I like driving them, not working on them.
    Carl actually you bought a new old boat and that was part of the problem it is a 40 yr old design and with the tight market and newer technologies the design needed to change a bit with the times. as far a resto work more glass work has been done to your 10 yr old boat then my 46 yr old boat that was another part of the problem when they did change things they made the boat weaker. but the big part of the problem is the market you must be many things to many people money is tight so in the small sport boat market the one who does the most wins . the boat must be capable of water sports , carry people and stuff and perform well. Not to mention that buyers are mostly cash now, gone is the 1000 down pay a 100 a month til the cows come home. So the used and resto project market are stout. Just look at all the projects going on donzi magnums cigs on this and any other forum.

the writing was on the wall once Staples sold to the corp world redundant offerings from other companies that's when Donzi lost it's way a bit AMH did re-capture some of it's past glory winning races and updating the designs in the ZX ZR range but they never really gave any attention to the classic line except for graphics.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Well said, Matty... for me it is the history. Looking down that shiny gelcoat bow, just like the original owner did in 1970.The sounds are the same, the thrill is the same...That is why I own a Donzi!
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Carl actually you bought a new old boat and that was part of the problem it is a 40 yr old design and with the tight market and newer technologies the design needed to change a bit with the times. as far a resto work more glass work has been done to your 10 yr old boat then my 46 yr old boat that was another part of the problem when they did change things they made the boat weaker. but the big part of the problem is the market you must be many things to many people money is tight so in the small sport boat market the one who does the most wins . the boat must be capable of water sports , carry people and stuff and perform well. Not to mention that buyers are mostly cash now, gone is the 1000 down pay a 100 a month til the cows come home. So the used and resto project market are stout. Just look at all the projects going on donzi magnums cigs on this and any other forum.

the writing was on the wall once Staples sold to the corp world redundant offerings from other companies that's when Donzi lost it's way a bit AMH did re-capture some of it's past glory winning races and updating the designs in the ZX ZR range but they never really gave any attention to the classic line except for graphics.
    But it is a 40 year old design that WORKS! It's not the fastest. A pad would make it faster but would diminish the rough water capability and leaning in turns. Steps would make it faster but would totally change the handling and some say that steps aren't needed because at top speed you are only running on the last two feet of hull. Bigger go-fasts still use the 24* deadrise. Mine has a solid glass hull with no wood coring to worry about. Transom is composite. Stringers might be also. The running gear and rigging has kept up with the times. Some method of boarding without adding a swim platform would be nice. More storage up in the front would be nice; I fixed that issue with mine and I guess that is part of the glass work you mention. The engine room had a factory engineered strengthening system glassed in and I did further strengthening when I powered up to get it to run in the 80s which was where I needed to be to make the boat fun. Yes, mine has had glass work but it was only down for short periods. I don't want cup holders. Everyone finishes their drink before we plane out. You are right on the financing. I paid zero down. My boat was delivered from Pier 57 and my old Hydrostream picked up as trade in to cover down payment. I have a 15 year loan on it! And I'm going to be very upset if Baja offers a wakeboard tower as an option on any Classic.

Simple, Looks, The way they handle, I've thrown my 18 around in some nasty slop at LOTO's and always get complments at the docks at how cool it is. Most importantly the way they handle and ride!
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Quote Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
    Simple, Looks, The way they handle, I've thrown my 18 around in some nasty slop at LOTO's and always get complments at the docks at how cool it is. Most importantly the way they handle and ride!
    Agree, and also the fact that you can have a choice of 16, 18, and 22 all offering the same "look" and timelessness. I'm actually now wondering what other builder over the decades has offered 3 models so closely related in looks in a high performance boat line.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information