Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hornet 19' V Drive help

Hornet 19' V Drive help

OK, so Ive decided to go ahead with the restoration on my Benchseat Hornet.
    I have found some very good threads here on this site. I love coming here and dreaming about I can eventually have.

Anyway, My hornet has no running gear, so I am trying to track down the proper parts.

It is a mid 60's V drive hornet. I am planning to drop in a Crusader 454 that I already have(good idea or bad? and why)
    My main question is what Vdrive am I looking to get for a 19' Hornet? What angle and what gear ratio? I believe Donzi used Casale Vdrives, but I do not know.

Also, does anybody know where I can get a transom mounted rudder?

Finally, I cannot seem to find any numbers identifying this Benchseat. Anybody have any places that I should look? The deck will be coming off and I would love to find it somewhere.

Thanks for all your help

Scott Pearson has 2 V drive Hornets He is going to be the go to guy for the V drive info. Mattyboy also knows a thing or two and where to look for the HIN. Can't go wrong with a 454 and a Crusader is good inboard motor, even better when you already have one
    Don't be afraid to PM them
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Donzi used Casale and Crusader. My one Hornet has a Crusader and so does my Corsican. My other Hornet has a Casale. They are 1 :1.28 driven.

As far as finding the hull Numbers...On the Bench Seat Hornets the numbers are written directly under the deck in front of the helm in Black magic marker with a layer of glass over it. Depending on the year it should read like 19H-23. If its a later Bench Seat they might have written it on the bow eye wood plate.

What does the deck on your Hornet look like around the vent areas? Is it raised or flat? What does the dash look like? Do you know the original Gel color or does it have the original V-Drive that you can get a number off of.

Let us know.
    Thanks!

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thank you for getting back with me
    It is the original gel coat and it's dark green.
    The vents are raised.
    Going by those 2, I am assuming that its an older model.

Forgive me for not knowing much about Vdrives, but what angle should I be getting? Also is that the only gearing that I want for this model, or will others work well also?

I have looked, but found nothing under the deck anywhere. When I pull the deck off, I am hoping to find the numbers.

I will be pulling it out of storage today and I can take pics of whatever if you'd like.

Also, can I mate up a Crusader engine with a casale drive if I cannot rundown a crusader Vdrive?

I am not 100% using the 454 as I have a 35' HackerCraft that is suppost to house 2 of them.

Anybody want a 35' Hacker?

Yes, Sounds like an older hull. Is there 1/2 balsa core through the entire hull? (See Picture) Not the deck...just the hull. Does it have a 4" fuel filler or 3"?

As far as the angle of the shft log. It could be 8, 10 or 12 Degrees. Depending on the set-up that it originaly had. If its a Gleenwood Shaft log I would say most likely 10 Degrees.

You can mate anything to a v-drive...Its just a drive shaft that goes to the transmission. What you need to have is a bell housing for motor you will be running that the Borg Warner trans bolts to.

Take some pictures and post them so we can get a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Scott,
    Awesome replies and help. Thank you.

OK, so here's some new info

The fill hole is 4"
    The shaft log is Glenwood
    The hull is glassed over wood. Not sure what kink of wood. The hull is very solid.

I was still unable to find any identification numbers anywhere. Under the seat there was some writing that I am unable to figure out. Maybe someone else can figure it out.20140122_145515_resized.jpg20140122_150124_resized.jpg20140122_151443_resized.jpg20140122_151101_resized.jpg20140122_152606_resized.jpg20140122_151045_resized.jpg

Did you look under the deck in front of the helm? It will look like what you put a picture up of...same writing and glassed over.

Are the air vents on the raised areas clam shells or flat loovers?

Also it looks like this has a twin cable helm.

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

I could not find any more writing on the underside at all except on the stbd side under the deck about where the windshield goes, it said "front"
    Under the Carpet, there was a name that said "Sierra Moonlight"

There was no deck hardware when I got the boat, but my guess would be louvred as there are 6 screw holes.

Yes it is a twin cabled helm. Is that good, bad, or whatever?

More pics
    Plus more tomorrow if needed as I am going to be cleaning out the bilge etc...20131008_172633_resized.jpg20131008_171758_resized.jpg20131008_171657_resized.jpg

Is it raw fiberglass under the deck or was it painted at sometime? Yes...6 screw holes would have been loovered SS plates.

I have only seen a few twin push/pull helms on Donzis and only on BB powered boats. Maybe this is something the did every now and then, not sure.

So are the sides cored? You said the hull is glasses over wood...is that on the sides and bottom? Easy quick way to tell is pull the thru hull fitting off for the V-Drive water outlet and see how thick it is and if you see coring.

What happened to all the deck hardware? Is your plan to put it back to the original? If so your going to have to have alot of it cast. The original lift hatch catch rings you will not find anywhere. I have my originals and some new ones in raw casting. The deck vents and transome vent you will have to have a machine shop make.

I have all my original hardware that I can help you do that with if thats the route you want to take.

Does it still have the original prop shift strut on the bottom of the hull? If so is that where the raw water is pulled from or is there a different location?

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

being an all GG color I would think a quick card search would discover the number history...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

like the early 16s all being white with a colored stripe, the early hornets were all grumble green with a white stripe " The Green Hornet"

the raised vents is hull 33 or earlier .

is the original fuel tank still in place?? that would have a mfg'r date that will lead to a general date of the build.

unusual it has the 16 dash plate cut out? so I would think it is not a turbo boat and it didn't have the later hornet dash plate this may be a very early one before the records
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

the extra large shifter hole is interesting..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

nothing interesting about the shifter cutout looks to be the standard cutout for the white recessed shifter housing seen on many donzi of that era
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

This is to early of a hull with no line card available for it. I would think it's even earlier then mine being that's it's all green like Matty states. Hope a number is found so we can varifiy this.

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information