Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why Are My Seats Deteriorating?

Angry Why Are My Seats Deteriorating?

I started a thread awhile back about my rear seat bottom looking like this after 7 or so years. Now my rear seat backs are cracking and are probably good for one more season. I have had 20 year old boats that weren't taken care of as well but still had original upholstery. The only thing I've done differently with the Donzi is use magic erasers (genuine) and vinyl conditioner. Look at my seats on a 2005 model, garage kept boat . Are they just made out of crappy material or could it be the magic erasers or conditioner? It's not the stitching that failed on the bottom, the vinyl cracked at the seams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

In my neck of the woods that would be due to extreme sun deterioration ,(and we have extreme sun out here) but I'm sure that's not your case.
    As a matter of fact , I doubt it completely .

Maybe it was a dud batch of material. Even using some of the cleaning agents that you mentioned , I'm sure you only use them in certain spots and not all over .

Looks like some new covers are in your immediate future.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Your questions might be best asked to some upholstery professionals. Maybe worth emailing a few of them, with the photos and see what kind of response you get. I would be interested in knowing the answers.

My guess is a cheap grade of vinyl.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Armorall will do that

303 won't
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I use spray nine to clean and if its realy bad I use comet with bleach and spay nine and load it with 303 but let dry then wipe so it can soak in. But I can take my foam out easly so I do to let dry after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    Armorall will do that

303 won't
    Jim , that's very interesting . (trusting your knowledge here)
    I've been using Armorall for only automotive purposes since 1978 . I try to keep that sort of stuff away from the boats no mater who's version it is.
    My friend who had the 28ZXO a while back used 303 and it was outrageously slippery everywhere and on anything it made contact with. Just lethal stuff to have on a performance go fast.

Is there a general consensus that Armorall can do that ? I've never heard of it before and would be very interested to know .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

By the replies here it sounds like this early failure is not normal for my boat. I have never used Armor All but the product that I've been using looks like it might be a generic version. Both claim to be good for vinyl and to provide UV protection. I believe that I've used a Maquires product also. If this is the culprit then is there anything that I could put on the front seats and the new rear seat bottom to stop the damage from getting worse? The front seats look pretty good still.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Jim , that's very interesting . (trusting your knowledge here)
    I've been using Armorall for only automotive purposes since 1978 . I try to keep that sort of stuff away from the boats no mater who's version it is.
    My friend who had the 28ZXO a while back used 303 and it was outrageously slippery everywhere and on anything it made contact with. Just lethal stuff to have on a performance go fast.

Is there a general consensus that Armorall can do that ? I've never heard of it before and would be very interested to know .
    Regular Armorall was notorious for cracking dashboard vinyl. The best protection is a cockpit cover. I don't use any sealer on my vinyl. I do all the tricks mentioned, I find Comet gel works great for cleaning. Acid Rain, freezing temperature, and wetness inside of the cushion are all candidates for cracks. There are not that many vinyl companies out there, so chalking it up to a cheap brand, is highly unlikely the source of the problem. I'm going out on a limb, but I would suspect the protectant you are using may be a contributing factor. Vinyl loves heat, so keep it warm in the winter and don't step or place anything on it when it's cold
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    Regular Armorall was notorious for cracking dashboard vinyl.
    Funny you said that. My first experience with ArmorAll was around 1980. I used it on the interior of my '73 Nova. Two days later, the dash split right up the middle. Man, was I pissed.

Haven't touched the stuff since.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Magic eraser will shorten the life.

My 2 cents
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

No more magic erasers or vinyl conditioner for me. I'll go back to what I did with my other boats and just wash them with normal soapy water. What sucks is that I learned to use these products on boating forums. (not just here)

Carl, I have to assume the vinyl used on your boat is the same as mine and I can tell you it is not a cheap vinyl. Based on how quickly it deteriorated.....and I know you take care of your boat.....I would have to say it is from some type of chemical reaction.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Jim , that's very interesting . 303. Just lethal stuff to have on a performance go fast.
    Please keep in mind that Jim no longer has any performance boats.

Jim owns and belongs to, the deck boat crowd now... all we have are his pictures from the past

jus' say'n ...

at least everything I own runs, every time, and any time, anywhere, more than I can say for some keyboard cowboy's herein

I just can't bring myself to invest 100k into a boat, that'll never be worth 40k when done

now, if you will GIVE me an HP500 for the lounger, it will help me get rid of some of the oar's
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I'll go back to what I did with my other boats and just wash them with normal soapy water.
    Sometimes, the old ways are the best ways.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information