Thread: feders

fenders

Going to the Toronto boat show on sunday and I am looking for boat fenders for my 18.I just have the side rail to tie up the fenders to and they never seem to hold in the right place.So what is everyone using I like picks if possible thanks craig.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    Going to the Toronto boat show on sunday and I am looking for boat fenders for my 18.I just have the side rail to tie up the fenders to and they never seem to hold in the right place.So what is everyone using I like picks if possible thanks craig.
    One thing to consider in crafting the recipe: shock cord. Fenders, fender mounts, and paint/gel all get a lot less stress when the fenders are hung with shock cord. Once brutal forces are reduced to a mere tug. FWIW.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    One thing to consider in crafting the recipe: shock cord. Fenders, fender mounts, and paint/gel all get a lot less stress when the fenders are hung with shock cord. Once brutal forces are reduced to a mere tug. FWIW.
    +1, the shock absorber cord is a must.
    Donzi 22' Classic

These on the 18's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-...orcev4exp=true

a few colours too. No issues in 7 years, nor marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-...orcev4exp=true

a few colours too. No issues in 7 years, nor marks.
    No, those will rub the side. There is a reason fenders are round. They roll and do not scrape.

I have been using a low freeboard fender and they work great.

I can't download a photo as my laptop is "acting up". Ken

I use the "L" shape to on the 19 because the flat deck would always end up under something.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Smile

My first post got screwed up I recommend the round balls, I had them and use to float them they never ride up.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

My boat is always trailered and you never what kind of docks you come up to. How do tie the l shape fenders to the rail thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wwahl View Post
    No, those will rub the side. There is a reason fenders are round. They roll and do not scrape.

I've been using the exact same ones on Lake Michigan since 2002, never had an issue, no rolling no scraping but I tie my ride up properly and since we're on Lake Michigan, I don't have to deal with tides.
    DUNESMAN

Not sure what wwahl is talking about. I used the type Lenny posted for years without any problem. I highly recommend them. With the Classics, you have to have a fender that will protect the deck (as well as the hull). They make 2 sizes: 5 x 14 and 7 x 23. The 14" ones are fine for the back of the boat, but I found they were too short for the front when used on a lot of floating docks.

I was going to purchase the 7x23 for the front but went with the Kwik Tek flat fender instead:
    http://www.wholesalemarine.com/kwik-...at-fender.html

For the most part, I prefer these over the Taylor. They are less expensive, lighter, and easier to store. The only issue I have with them (and it's making me consider going back to the Taylors) is the cover is folded at the ends and not heat-sealed. So if the fender hangs into the water, it gets inside the fender. It drains out easy enough, but I find it bothersome to have to drain the fender every time I take them off.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information