Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a 2006 29' Tiara Open

Going to look at a 2006 29' Tiara Open

I'm keeping the 2+3, forever but it's time I start looking for another boat. I'm interested in a good sized dayboat for Lake Michigan. Something I can take a number of people out, something we can shoot over to Chicago in, go perching and maybe some overnights here and there with my small family of three.
    A friend of a friend has a 2006 2900 Open Classic for sale. I caught him the day he was going to send the brokerage papers over so that was good timing. The boat is supposed to be a real cream puff. The current owner is a persnickety sailer type that wanted a power boat. To me, this is a good thing. The boat was bought new in 2008 and has 240 hours on the 6.0 motors. It's pretty loaded up with the exception of a generator. It has the factory hard top, radar and gps, installed at the factory and the more traditional 2+2 seating on both the helm and passanger side.
    The only problem with the boat is the fridge is dead. He's asking 100k. Any thoughts from you guys?

Thanks!
    DUNESMAN

thats a helluva boat, barely trailerable though.... a good friend of mine has the same boat, and he repowered his with a pair of Duramax diesels
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I love the 29-33' Tiaras and the 31 flybridge in particular is my "ultimate" TN River dayboat or weekender. Diesels would be the bomb, but in this size boat gassers wouldn't scare me a bit. Crawl around in the bilge and look at the rigging that you wouldn't normally see. Bet it's immaculate. Tiara really does things right.

What drives on the boat? Straight inboards, v drives, other? Electronics? Radar would be an awesome option on the Lakes, as it can get a little froggy... A genset would be nice but not a show-stopper on a 29. Inverter powered A/C? Since you're up north that's not as big of a deal as it is down south. Pretty much mandatory down here to be able to overnight in the summer. I wouldn't sweat the fridge on a six figure boat personally, but all the little stuff adds up so maybe a good negotiating tool.

I'm a small boat guy for now, but for something that big, with that many systems, for that much money, I would get a professional survey.

Pictures wouldn't hurt!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

As far as trailering it, she'll stay in the big lake for as long as I keep her. The way I look at it is, I can always sell it and it IS trailerable on a lowboy.
    I'm going to check her out with my family on Thursday, I'll post pics. I'm pretty sure this is the boat for us at this point in our lives. I'm going to get a survey for sure and you're right not to penny pinch on the #. My buddy pulled comps for all freshwater 29's over the past 8 years and the price appears to be in line. I'm excited to check it out!
    DH, she comes equipped with the factory Nav option. Radar, GPS, etc.

Do you think it would look funny if I pulled the 2+3 behind as a dinghy if we ever take her up North?
    DUNESMAN

Quote Originally Posted by pipnit View Post
    Do you think it would look funny if I pulled the 2+3 behind as a dinghy if we ever take her up North?
    Sounds like the perfect dinghy to me! Congrats, hope the survey and everything turn out great. If you pick it up it will be a long winter plotting and buying stuff for the new boat!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

my buddy tows his T2900 diesel with a Chevy 2500 CC Duramax non dually, it sits in his side yard... wide load though..

if he was going to list it with a broker at 100k then you KNOW he has 10-15% room to knock off, right off the bat..

you can't get hurt in the mid-low 80's

I have another customer that took a 90's model 3100 open and repowered from 225hp TAMD41A Volvo's to 315 Yanmar's and added a Northen Lights 8kw genny..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post

I have another customer that took a 90's model 3100 open and repowered from 225hp TAMD41A Volvo's to 315 Yanmar's and added a Northen Lights 8kw genny..
    Bet she's a fricken' hot rod with the 315s! Did he have to use bigger shafts & struts or just drop in with new wheels?
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Congrats! She's beautiful!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Congratulations, great boat. A neighbor on our canal (salt) had one. The hardware, cushions, everything was top quality. I hope you like to fish because that boat loves too.

geez that boat looks clean!
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    geez that boat looks clean!
    +1

Ken

Looks fantastic, congrats!
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

How cool will it be to anchor the Tiara in a cove for the weekend and bomb around in the 18? Sounds absolutely perfect to me.

The cabin is a HUGE bonus for the kids. I suspect it will greatly extend the amount of time you can spend on the water.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

You have done well. You will also appreciate the quality of that boat. I kept my mouth shut prior to this point, wanting other people to chime in with their personal experiences.

I worked at Tiara for three years, and saw first hand the build quality of those boats. Even places people never see are over the top. And for some reason, I'm thinking the 6.0 engine was the high output SBC option. They do very thorough performance evaluations of their boats, and I think the 6.0 performed almost as well as the big blocks, but was appreciably more efficient.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thread Information