Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The beginning of the end

The beginning of the end

I'm afraid that unless there is someone else working the site, we are at the beginning of the end.

Scot used to deal with the spammers periodically. Without someone actively running the site, there is no one dealing with the issue, and I'm afraid it will just get worse until the site is no longer usable.

Ideas?
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

I agree. This is not good. I hope it gets addressed.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Scott,

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there is no one else "running/administrating" the site.

It has actually run longer than I thought it would before we encountered an issue. I don't know what is involved with owning/running a website, but I'm sure there are services that must be paid for. At some point, additional payments will be requested and not made, and things could snowball down hill.

There is a tremendous amount of good information on the site, so I hope there are some "people in the know" who are pursuing a way to keep the site functional into the future.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Maybe someone should contact Scot's wife and make an offer. The site isn't worth a whole lot of money. I wouldn't have a clue how to run it either. Apparently Scot has it set up pretty secure since it hasn't been hacked. Just ignore the spammers. I'm proud at how everyone has been cordial and self moderating since Scot's demise.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I'm sure it had to cross Scot's mind in the event he were gone what would happen to the site?......it's hard to believe there wouldn't be a backup.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Are there no active moderators left who can eliminate these junk posts ?
    I mean , everyone knows 5mg viagara isn't going to cut it ..
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post

Ideas?

don't wish them happy birthday

Lightbulb

We need a post saying lets save the site. We need someone who computer savvy with too much time on there hands willing to give it a try.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I've worked with vBulletin in the past, and I'd be happy to lend a hand where help is needed. Unfortunately if there is no other person with full administrative privileges like Scot, gaining full control of the site so someone can take over the job is going to be difficult. Maybe we could contact Scot's wife as Carl mentioned and see if he has his password written down anywhere? We could make the necessary updates to fix the spam and assess the payment situation... The server isn't free.
    Donzi 22' Classic

I don't understand the technology but would be happy to make a large financial contribution. Seeing this coming, I transferred my entire Surface Tension thread onto CD and then had that printed out onto hard copy as well. I'm going to have to do the same with the OB thread. It takes a lot of time.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I don't understand the technology but would be happy to make a large financial contribution. Seeing this coming, I transferred my entire Surface Tension thread onto CD and then had that printed out onto hard copy as well. I'm going to have to do the same with the OB thread. It takes a lot of time.
    I don't think it will die. All of the great stuff here by Big Griz, Brownie and so many others has to be saved. Someone will keep it going.

Isn't the asset owned by Victory Marine
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Maybe someone should contact Scot's wife and make an offer. The site isn't worth a whole lot of money. I wouldn't have a clue how to run it either. Apparently Scot has it set up pretty secure since it hasn't been hacked. Just ignore the spammers. I'm proud at how everyone has been cordial and self moderating since Scot's demise.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that Carl....

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure of that Carl....
    It's really difficult to determine the cash value of a web site. Yes, the $20 figure that came up is too low. Some say that the value is equal to the revenue that the site generates in two years. An older site like this one is worth more. I agree that the $20 is incorrect. It really depends on what kind of revenue is coming in and what potential buyers are willing to pay. The data stored on this site is priceless but what would it sell for and how would you go about marketing an established web site? Maybe new ownership has already been established. I guess we will find out in time. I concede that the $20 is ridiculously low. It's the number that came up on a web site value calculator. I know now that it's not that easy.

I hope something positive happens with the administration of this site soon. Donzi.org HAS active moderation and administration and still it got hacked today and Avast notified me there is malware on the site. Also, I was notified today that my subscription to this site expires in a few days. I sure hope that my contribution will be used to save the Registry.

John C in PA
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Thread Information