Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help with supercharger

need help with supercharger

Attachment 78375Attachment 78374I just got back from the shop and have a few Q.How do I hook up the water to the whipple do I tie into the motor cooling system.I bought a adjustable water pick up and also a new sea strainer that I thought I needed,but whipple instructions say tie into the cooling sys.I think that the pick up is for the whipple.Also do I get rid of the cool fuel that came with the motor or get something else.Please I really need help.asure if you chime in that would be great.thanks craig

Looks good!

It is a long winter in Canada, isn't it.

Looks real cool.

Ken

Bravo drive?

My guess is that a standard Bravo drive pickup and belt driven raw water pump would supply plenty of water. I would think the intercooler could be plumbed in line with the power steering cooler and cool fuel. Give Dustin at Whipple a call...
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Yes it is a very long winter, I just don't want what happened last year I want the boat to be ready by may 1st so that boat is sitting in the lot of mod fathers to put the program in for the whipple and test the engine.How do find old post.I cant find the post on my supercharger with some good info.so if anyone can help please.thanks craig

I tied mine into the cooling hose after the raw water pump.

With my 496HO/procharger, the stock fuel cooler was used. I didn't have a problem, but I also didn't run high rpms for more than a few seconds at a time. A lot of guys toasted procharger engines due to leaning out. Was it because of too small injectors....no ecu change...or was it the restrictions caused by the stock fuel lines (and cooler). I don't know the difinitive answer, but I increased my line size.....and trashed the stock fuel cooler for my new engine.

In my opinion, if you plan on running 4500 or more rpm for any length of time, I'd dump the fuel cooler. BUT, if you still have it installed, then my guess is your entire deliver system from tank pickup all the way through is too small.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Seperate fuel cooler We took off the factory cool/fuel and added an in line cooler. I T-ed the intercooler off the seawater pump and had too low of water pressure, due to the fact there is a fuel cooler, power steering cooler, oil cooler along with trying to cool the engine Dustin thought it was best to take the intercooler off the seawater pump so, I took the intercooler off the seawater pump and ran a separate transom pick up which is force fed to the intercooler thru a sand/sea strainer and worked better, at idle there's no water thru the intercooler which can cause rich and fouling plugs, make sure you run a medium duty oil cooler, how much boost and what's your compression ratio? Did you dyno tune it? If so what kinda HP and TQ #'s you get? What ECM?

I'm surprised you didn't have enough water pressure through the cooler. I had really good water flow through mine.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thanks asur866 for answering some q's. I never got the boat out last year. I did buy a pick up which is adjustable and I also have a 4 port sea strainer which I hope to use for the engine and the whipple. We were talking of getting rid of the cool fuel pump and going with something else anyways so I will do that. I never got the motor dynode and I am running a 555 ecu also I bought a msg ignition coil that I think I need but not sure. I had to change everything on the motor as I changed from carb to EFI engine.I had to change the stainless marine risers to custom and the manifolds.We had bowls welded into the risers so that we can put sensors in to watch the exhaust for running to rich I think that's the right terminology for these things.What do you do from fouling.

Yeller I think my fuel lines are3/4 what should they be thanks.

In the first picture you can see the oil cooler its huge.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't have enough water pressure through the cooler. I had really good water flow through mine.
    Whipple Vs. Procharger different animal. I only had 13psi when the intercooler was plumbed in at 75 mph it's not only psi but flow, my intercooler sees 30-35 psi at 85 mph with plenty of flow
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

What should I do with the cool fuel.do I need to keep it cool for the whipple or can I get a normal high volume pump with a cooler in it or not.asur888 what kind of fuel pump are u running.thanks craig

Quote Originally Posted by craigdskilling View Post
    What should I do with the cool fuel.do I need to keep it cool for the whipple or can I get a normal high volume pump with a cooler in it or not.asur888 what kind of fuel pump are u running.thanks craig
    Running a Areomotive A1000, did you buy this as a kit from Whipple? I bought a whole kit from Whipple and it was included, who's gonna tune your ECM 555?? If you haven't talked to Dustin @ Whipple I strongly suggest you do, he can point you in the right direction and tune your ECM 555, mine went back to him 2 times after the first tune he did based on A/F ratios. I have had ZERO issues with the tune of my engine, it purrs like a little kitten at idle and full boost comes in at 4,800 and feels like someone hit the N2O button pulls all the way to the limiter at 6,042 Rpms. Dustin is about the only one that can tune the Emc555 to my knowledge, to get it right a dyno tune and giving Dustin the A/F ratios is really the way to get it right, he can also point you in the right direction on fuel pump and coolers. I changed to the bigger valve alumium heads a 7qt oil pan medium size oil cooler and fuel cooler to ensure I don't melt down the internals, went with fordged dished blower pistons that dropped compression to 8.8:1 running a total of 6 psi of boost that comes all in at 4,800 rpm. What have you done to the engine? Is it stock?
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

He changed the piston also deep dish and a larger cam to bring the comp down also keeping the stock vorteck heads for now they are both brand new with the motor.so back to the fuel pump I have to get a separate cooler for that or can I use anything from the old system.thanks trying to call dustin keep missing him busy man.what kind of heads should I go with if I change them.thanks guys.

Thread Information