Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil change/extractor pump

Oil change/extractor pump

I havn't been on the board in a long time but I wanted to share my experiencce with my recent purchase of a Jabsco oil change pump. First off, it's awesome. I paid $48$ delivered to my door. This is the kind that screws onto the threads at the top of the dipstick tube. I was a bit skeptical at first that it would be able to get as much oil out as the old "tube down the dipstick" type i've used before. I was wrong. It got every bit as much as the other type of pump(a bit over 7 quarts) in a fraction of the time and with almost no mess. After the first gallon it slows down and starts sucking air but it keeps pumping. I wish I would of had the sense to buy this years ago. There are lots of places to buy this. I've attached the amazon link below. Mercruiser makes one too that looks similar but the reviews are no good. This is not an ad, I'm just trying to help some people out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O8...r=8-3&pi=SL500

I have one too and it's a great little device.
    After using the main connection pumpout I then put the long slender hose adaptor on it and slide it down the dipstick tube to get the last remaining few ounces out .

With most marine engine manufacturers switching over to the oil drain tube permanently connected to the oil drain plug on the sump it's a great accessory to own .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I've got one but there are better options.

My marina let me barrow their vacuum system this Fall. It's basically an air tank that has a devise to draw a vacuum using compressed air. Once the system is "charged" you screw the line onto the dip stick tube and release the vacuum. It sucks the oil out in about 5min and makes no mess.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

I used one of those hand pumps for a while. Worked well, but leaked like a sieve. Must have had a bad seal or two. I forked out the extra dough for the electric Jabsco pump on the pail. I will never go back. Oil is out in about minute. Needless to say, you pay for the convenience of it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17850-1.../dp/B001CX0WX4

As far as getting all the oil out, Merc is pretty good at putting the dipstick tube in the right location to grab all the oil. One day, I was curious, so after sucking out the oil, I pulled the drain plug, got nothing.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post
    I used one of those hand pumps for a while. Worked well, but leaked like a sieve. Must have had a bad seal or two. I forked out the extra dough for the electric Jabsco pump on the pail. I will never go back. Oil is out in about minute. Needless to say, you pay for the convenience of it.

As far as getting all the oil out, Merc is pretty good at putting the dipstick tube in the right location to grab all the oil. One day, I was curious, so after sucking out the oil, I pulled the drain plug, got nothing.

B
    I've had one of those battery powered pumps for 25 years or so and it still works perfectly. The one I have will pump in either direction with the flip of the switch and the impeller is replaceable (never had to replace mine yet). I think I had to pay that much or more for mine 25 years ago!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I use one like this pump it up and go onto something else come back in 10 minutes and all oil is out

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pela-...source=baynote
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have one of those hoses that screws onto a fitting in place of the drain plug on the bottom of the pan. Poke the capped end of the hose through the transom drainplug hole, unscrew the cap and voila! No muss, no fuss. If you ever have occasion to have the engine out for any reason, this addition is a no-brainer. Available at Rex Marine.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack View Post
    I have one of those hoses that screws onto a fitting in place of the drain plug on the bottom of the pan. Poke the capped end of the hose through the transom drainplug hole, unscrew the cap and voila! No muss, no fuss. If you ever have occasion to have the engine out for any reason, this addition is a no-brainer. Available at Rex Marine.

Eric
    I have the same one No Muss No Fuss
    Installed it when I had the engine out to paint the bilge..Ed

MOP has one for sale, coincidentally.
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...xtraction-pump

Good price.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    I use one like this pump it up and go onto something else come back in 10 minutes and all oil is out

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pela-...source=baynote
    I have the identical pump. I give it a five star rating. You can use it for other uses like cleaning out your bilge, changing the lawn mower and pressure washer oil, etc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post

B
    Another vote for the Jabsco electric pump. I think I paid around $250 for it. Well worth it. I also use it in my cars for various fluid extractions. It works great.

Correction

I just found this pump which is more like what I bought 20+ years ago. It has a better pump than the previously mentioned battery operated pump on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17800-2...dp/B000O8F562/

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

That is the one I have. I guess I posted a different pump earlier. Didn't realize they have different models of that type of pump.

BTW, I wouldn't pay more than about $150 for one of these. Shop around if you are in the market.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by brwn234 View Post
    I havn't been on the board in a long time but I wanted to share my experiencce with my recent purchase of a Jabsco oil change pump. First off, it's awesome. I paid $48$ delivered to my door. This is the kind that screws onto the threads at the top of the dipstick tube. I was a bit skeptical at first that it would be able to get as much oil out as the old "tube down the dipstick" type i've used before. I was wrong. It got every bit as much as the other type of pump(a bit over 7 quarts) in a fraction of the time and with almost no mess. After the first gallon it slows down and starts sucking air but it keeps pumping. I wish I would of had the sense to buy this years ago. There are lots of places to buy this. I've attached the amazon link below. Mercruiser makes one too that looks similar but the reviews are no good. This is not an ad, I'm just trying to help some people out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O8...r=8-3&pi=SL500
    I bought that same hand pump not too long ago to replace a drill driven Jabsco pump that took forever to drain my 8 quart sump. Unfortunately, the Jabsco hand pump still took forever to drain the sump (my OMC/Ford has no dipstick threads so I still had to use a tube down the dipstick tube). I expect I'll try an electric pump next October.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

I had used the handheld and the drill pump on the 16 both took as squints paldoris would say 4 EVER. We had the 20 cig rigged with the drain hose thru the drain plug it still took forever I think that may have been the flat angle it was on the trailer not sure.

the vacuum canister pump i use has the tubes and I just get it to the bottom of the pan thru the dipstick pump it like 7 times and walk away in 10-15 minutes it is done . no mess don't have to sit there and watch and no worries about the oil spilling .
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information