Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bertram 28' Baron

Bertram 28' Baron

Some my have seen this on Oso but Mr Bill & I bought this Bertram Baron & finally brought her back home to Michigan yesterday. It took years to track this Baron down, I found it by using Google & MapQuest satellite maps were I looked for a shapes of hulls that could be the Baron. We found her in a marina in Canada last January after driving with Mr Bill to many marinas in Ontario Canada. Next to a Magnum sport I have always had a love for this hull as I use to see it's owner Jerry Miller racing the SUPER MOTH on Lake St Clair back in the early 70's, I even raced against it back then. The only noticeable changes to her is the lowered windshield & life line. This Baron last raced in the 80's when my old friend Dave Balcovson raised the Volvo drives 5" and put in 400+cu Chevy small blocks for power, it rocked. I don't know when Bill & I will start this project as we both have many restorations in the works now but we knew we had to save her & bring her back home to Michigan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Key's???

Better take the keys our before some steals it
    nice save Guy's!!
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Chip Miller just past me these great pic's of the Baron, it was his Dads race boat back in the day.

That is some very cool history that fortunately has been preserved, both in pictures, and in fiberglass
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Mark,

There's a few interesting sub-plots that you had to overcome (background on OSO) in all out pursuit of the 28' Baron.
    I thought I was a good detective in finding Jim's "Plum Crazy" a few yrs back, but you get the gold shield on this one!
    I'm not up on my Google searches, but having to identify shapes in mariners??..........I mean, just total perseverance
    in finding her.. you weren't going to be denied!...............I think that boat is very lucky to have you.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Love to see these significant old ones saved .

Once you get started I think it'll keep you busy for a while .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Mark,

There's a few interesting sub-plots that you had to overcome (background on OSO) in all out pursuit of the 28' Baron.
    I thought I was a good detective in finding Jim's "Plum Crazy" a few yrs back, but you get the gold shield on this one!
    I'm not up on my Google searches, but having to identify shapes in mariners??..........I mean, just total perseverance
    in finding her.. you weren't going to be denied!...............I think that boat is very lucky to have you.

Pete I hate to slam anyone that's why I did not Id him personally but these sites are all about sharing info. That same guy had my friends perfect Magnum & he found ways of screwing it up, now that he has that abandoned Florida Mag, a restoration I would think twice about, good luck. Last year when I told Bill that I was on the hunt for the Baron & how I was looking for it, he was in. Last January when it was 20 degrees out we went to Canada looking for a old Merc & Kendal oil sign [ a clue in a pic of the Baron that the guy had posted] that was in the boat yard next by the Baron. After a few hours we found her, & as they say the rest is history. As of now I have 3 race boats from that era [Donzi Doral HEAT WAVE, Cobra SMIDGEN TOO & this Baron SUPER MOTH ] not including my two Magnums, & X-18 Donzi how many more projects,, & boats do I need.
    If Bill & I don't take on this project Chip Miller is the one we feel that would do his dads old race boat justice. Here are the pic's I used to find the Baron. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Here are the pic's I used to find the Baron. Mark
    Is that first one A satellite shot ? If so ,that took a lot of determination and searching on your part.

Now I'm thinking twice about my skinny dipping and nude sunbathing activities ..
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I live for this Mark...
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Is that first one A satellite shot ? If so ,that took a lot of determination and searching on your part.

Now I'm thinking twice about my skinny dipping and nude sunbathing activities ..
    That was a satellite shot from Google, don't worry about skinny dipping they dont have that much clarity.

Mark,
    it is a shame that some of the people on these sites are the way they are.. No names have to be told.
    I always thought that we were all here to enjoy this great sport and to support each other and share when ever we can.

That said,, you sure did some high level technology searching to find the Baron.. Neat ,, Pete Found the Plum Crazy the old fashion way.
    you will have us all looking for Sport boats using google maps and Sat now
    Am sure you and Bill will bring her back to her great racing days
    Thank you
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by damm-magnum1 View Post
    Mark,
    it is a shame that some of the people on these sites are the way they are.. No names have to be told.
    I always thought that we were all here to enjoy this great sport and to support each other and share when ever we can.

That said,, you sure did some high level technology searching to find the Baron.. Neat ,, Pete Found the Plum Crazy the old fashion way.
    you will have us all looking for Sport boats using google maps and Sat now
    Am sure you and Bill will bring her back to her great racing days
    Thank you
    Jim
    Jim also the weather channel has some good pic's too, just zoom in.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/i...animation=true

Smidgen Too, I wished I had known you were looking for your old boat. When someone on OSO posted they were looking for the history of "Power Hungry"-I knew it's history as previous race boats. It's a shame that the person who bought it isn't going to restore it-and wants alot of money for it. I'm sure you read the fiasco about him paying for it and picking it up down in Florida.
    Sharing information is what sites like this are all about. A few years ago someone posted pics of a blue 1970's 38 Bertram race boat. I knew immmediately that this was the old "Needle Nose" race boat. This information helped the new owner track down pics and its history. I also helped Pete (Scippy) find the "Plum Crazy" boat. To me, this is web-site information at its best. I hope someday you can get the 27 Magnum "Lil' Smidgen" back, and do a restoration it deserves! Please keep us posted on the restoration of the Barron!
    Good Luck!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts 1 View Post
    Smidgen Too, I wished I had known you were looking for your old boat. When someone on OSO posted they were looking for the history of "Power Hungry"-I knew it's history as previous race boats. It's a shame that the person who bought it isn't going to restore it-and wants alot of money for it. I'm sure you read the fiasco about him paying for it and picking it up down in Florida.
    Sharing information is what sites like this are all about. A few years ago someone posted pics of a blue 1970's 38 Bertram race boat. I knew immmediately that this was the old "Needle Nose" race boat. This information helped the new owner track down pics and its history. I also helped Pete (Scippy) find the "Plum Crazy" boat. To me, this is web-site information at its best. I hope someday you can get the 27 Magnum "Lil' Smidgen" back, and do a restoration it deserves! Please keep us posted on the restoration of the Barron!
    Good Luck!
    Bob
    Hi Bob the SMIDGEN was not my Mag, I had it's sister Mag the DAMN YANKEE, SHOWDOWN, COME AGAIN sport & as I raced it as the P-88 BELIEVE It, it looked just like the SMIDGEN, SPIRIT Mag as many thought it was the same sport. I think it's now out of the country. It's a shame that the Smidgen , Power Hungry went to that guy as it's a restoration not for the a amateur . I dont have a problem with making a buck on a find but the stories this guy has spun & what he has done in the past all ads to it. I was trying to get the SPIRIT back to Danny P who raced it as the SPIRIT but now it out of reach for him. As I have said if Bill & I dont see us restoring this classic Chip Miller is the one we will talk to as it was his dads old race boat, & now it back in Michigan & not lost & forgotten. . Mark

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Jim also the weather channel has some good pic's too, just zoom in.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/i...animation=true
    Mark,,
    Thank you ,, is pretty neat, never thought of using www.weather.com
    Jim

Thread Information