Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fall Special...1996 22' Donzi Classic

Congratulations on the sale Tony. Keep some tissues close by when you see it pull away from your drive. How is your son doing with his guitars?
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Eller View Post
    Congratulations on the sale Tony. Keep some tissues close by when you see it pull away from your drive. How is your son doing with his guitars?
    Yes, it was a sad event, but made better knowing the boat is going to a good home. The new owner has a storied history with watercraft - and I'm confident he will appreciate his new Donzi as much as we all do (did) ours.

Thanks for asking about my son, Barry, you've got a good memory! He has relocated to Seattle and still enjoys both his acoustic guitar as well as his hollow-body electric. We were out there for the first time over Thanksgiving, and marveled at the impressive topography.

From Michigan to South Carolina:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	750.8 KB 
ID:	78529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	691.4 KB 
ID:	78530

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Smile

Picked up Tony's 22 two days ago. He should be nominated for 'Best Donzi Caretaker of the Year'. The condition of his boat is a testament to his commitment to the brand. Hope I can do half the job he has done.

I currently own a 1973 56' Matthews, a 1989 11' Whaler, a 1974 44' Trojan, a 1979 22' Chris Craft Dory, a 1986 Donzi Minx, and of course, Tony's 22' Classic. I love them all and try to maintain them as best I can............................. "So many boats, so little time."

(The signature line below is out of date by six years, too busy working on boats)
    Dauntless Dan's:
    Current Fleet:

44' 1974 Trojan Motoryacht 2 - 440 Chryslers
    40' 1981 Trojan Motoryacht 2 - 671 DD Naturals
    20' 1986 Donzi Minx 350 Chev.
    13' 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 50 HP Mercury
    10' 1988 Bauer Dinghy, 4HP Mercury
    19' 1999 Wherry Rowing Scull, 1 - 66 year old hand power

Congratulations!

I'm guessing you're single. . . . .
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

hey tony, just curious but what gear ratio were you running in that Volvo dpx? my dad and I are in the process of starting a 22 Blackhawk project, which includes flattening the hull of course. however we have vast experience with the duoprop setup and love the performance of them. we want to use a bravo 3 lower but we are debating what gear ratio to use. your boat sounds like exactly what we are shooting to accomplish. were more concerned with a fun boat to run at mid 70 than all all out speed kind of boat. we have a 454 ready for itbut want to almost build a clone of what you had but with the bravo 3 package. thank you for any input you can offer, or to anyone who reads this and has some experience with this boat/power setup.

I believe the gear ratio on my former Volvo DPX was 1.78:1

With that said, though, the B3 is apparently quite different from the DPX. The DPX was designed for high speed performance, with a streamlined composite body and high-quality internals.

Good luck with your project!

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Lightbulb

IMO try to hunt down a BIII XR and the HP transom shield, the BIII is some heavy and will stress a standard shield running the way we do. I think you will be better off in the long run!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

While I like the DPX better than either as a design, not sure the BIII is any worse than a B1 hydrodynamically. I thought the case was nearly identical on both, FWIW. The specs always said the BIII was suitable for speeds to 65 where the B1 was for speeds maybe 90+. I did some math on this and I think it was actually due to the available gears and props for the BIII. Those have changed, and I've heard of some folks running BIIIs 85 and higher, and loving the stability.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I believe the gear ratio on my former Volvo DPX was 1.78:1

With that said, though, the B3 is apparently quite different from the DPX. The DPX was designed for high speed performance, with a streamlined composite body and high-quality internals.

Good luck with your project!

With the 1.78:1 gearing what props did you run?

I have a pair of 1.59:1 units and a set of E3's and E4's planning to run one of them on a 20' Kona hull. and wonder what prop set to run or if I will need E2's. I will be pairing it with a Ford 472 (460) that is around 500hp.

I thought about rigging my 99 22 Classic the same way with a BBF if I don't sell it.

Thread Information