Thread: Any ZX owners ever seen this?

Any ZX owners ever seen this?

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Ever since I purchased my 01 22ZX in 2005, there has been something on the inside of my fairing on both sides of the boat. It looks like some kind of adhesive backing that was left behind, possibly from the factory(?). The inside surface of the fairing has a non-slip type of surface and this stuff is partially covering it as the photo below shows. Whatever this stuff is won't come off and is pretty heavy duty, it's starting to look pretty crappy as well. Have any ZX owners ever seen anything like this or does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be from? I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

2001 22ZX MX6.2 MPI
    EMI Exhaust

I don't know what it is but if it is a residue, what have you done to remove it?

Some options, if you haven't tried already.... Goo-Gone, WD-40, heat, or acetone. Whatever you use, let it soak on there for a while and see what happens. Try the WD-40 first, probably the safest.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

You could also try lacquer thinner if all else fails.
    Be careful, and try it in a spot that's not too obvious.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Before any of the serious options I would try goo-gone and some rigorous scrubbing and/or brushing with a brush that won't damage the gel. I replaced the weather stripping under my windshield this winter (it wasn't a straight line across the front, it was bugging me) and I used goo gone and a LOT of scrubbing to get the old adhesive off. It took a while, but the result was great.
    By the way, I've seen you a few times on the lake before, where are you on the lake?

Good luck!
    Donzi 22' Classic

I would try the acetone last. Any solvent you try, soak it on a bath towel so it sits on the glue. It wont evaporate as fast. Try finger nail remover (Clear NOT colored),,, its water down acetone before full strength acetone. Take a wooden paint stick and work in what ever you use, to loosen that glue up. And by all means PROTECT that vinyl NEXT to it with something so you dont get anything on it. Especially acetone ........

Window glazing . spray it with bleach to kill the mold and live with it
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Thanks for the input guys, we'll see if I can get this stuff off. Rocky, I'm in Warner Bay. Wasn't on the lake this summer unfortunately but hopefully I'll be back next year.

2001 22ZX MX6.2 MPI
    EMI Exhaust

Thread Information