Thread: Rigging tips please

Rigging tips please

I have a stock 94 Classic 18. Over the winter it will be rigged with a mild 383 stroker (est 325hp)/Thumper exhaust/Alpha SS/Imco hydraulic steering (single ram no helm)/led tab indicators.Any tips on the rigging would be appreciated. Thanks

The only thing that seems like it might need rigging tips, is the hydraulic steering set up.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with that, so I can't help out.

Everything else should be pretty straight forward.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

some help on the meat and potatoes stuff

I purchased the engine side harness and the gauge side harnesses from these guys

and used a standard merc layout

they are a lot cheaper than merc and the quality it great
    I put my own ring eyes on

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/ALL6I/I...anel+Harnesses

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/merc.pdf
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Lightbulb

You can complete the steering using a Brazil valve, Rootsy used that setup and was running over 80. It is very common on bigger express cruisers, it will also save you quite a bit of $$$. You can find Rootsy up on the D.org board for tips.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

If you are adding the IMCO external ram to your existing power steering using their add on system, be sure to tie off your outdrive to the lifting rings when you first fire the engine to make sure it does not kick to one side before equalizing the fluid or it might break the gimbal ring.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Ralph,

I rigged my 18 Corsican with a Bravo and used the Mercruiser internal power steering, the boat gets loose when trimmed out at speed . .ie chine walking . . adding one ram to the outside is wise, but since you have gone that far, adding an internal helm to make it a full power steering set up is worth everything. Control via the cable connection is still loose and sloppy using a brazil valve set up.

Uncertain as to what type of cable helm the 1994 18 Classic used, but I recently adapted a Capilano helm to an original Teleflex dash bezel to retain an original look on my 1968 Magnum 27. It's easy to do and routing the hoses is simple!

And might I ask, 383 Cu In and only 325 HP . . what are the torque numbers . . .I just built 2 377 SBC with over 400 HP and over 400 ft tq on pump gas . . . .

Raise your X dimension unless you don't want to alter the hatch . . . the Alpha SS can run some nice props that work well close to the surface . .

If I can assist, post me direct, I am an IMCO dealer.

Mario L.

The CharLyn helms work with the oe Teleflex Big T bezels as well

Mario I need to argue the point of the brazil setups being sloppy, the drive stays rock solid until the cable moves the valve body to supply oil to one side or the other. When the valve is in the neutral position the system is in a closed locked state, no motion is allowed. Another point with full hydraulic if the system is breached in any way all steering is lost, with the add on you still have get home steering. It may be stiff but you will get there similar to loosing the PS belt.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Mario I need to argue the point of the brazil setups being sloppy, the drive stays rock solid until the cable moves the valve body to supply oil to one side or the other. When the valve is in the neutral position the system is in a closed locked state, no motion is allowed. Another point with full hydraulic if the system is breached in any way all steering is lost, with the add on you still have get home steering. It may be stiff but you will get there similar to loosing the PS belt.
    +1
    My exact thoughts.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Thread Information