Thread: Gaffrig II speedometer issues

Gaffrig II speedometer issues

After a recent run I noticed that my speedometer was frozen as shown in the picture.

I called Gaffrig and talked to one of their Tech. Support guys. He thought that perhaps the water pick up line was blocked with weeds or ?. He suggested that I disconnect the line from the back of the gauge and blow through it to dislodge the blockage to release the pressure. I did this but the needle stayed at 80 MPH+. Now when I run the boat the needle stays at 80+ until I get to about(I'm guessing 50 MPH)and then the needle goes to the pin just below '20'. When I slow down the needle drops to 80+ and stays there.

Gaffrig no longer make the Gaffrig II series gauges and I sure don't want to buy a gauge cluster.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Dave
    GetAttachment[2].jpg

There're service shops that can repair your speedo. Your speedo is a Bourdon tube instrument, and operates like a pressure gauge. The linkage may be jammed. If it has been pegged, or you've been airborne a lot, it may have been distorted. Good shops that do this work can do marine, automotive, or even aircraft instruments. It may cost a bit.
    You may be able to find a used replacement on eBay.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

FYI. Gaffrig never made them. The Gii's were made by Livorsi.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post
    FYI. Gaffrig never made them. The Gii's were made by Livorsi.
    Hey Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.... I'll call Livorsi to see if they have a dusty old box with a Gaffrig II 80 MPH hanging around.

I saw that Powerquest 100 MPH on Ebay but I'd rather have one without the boat manufacturer reference.

Season is winding down up here(north of Toronto) so I have all winter to find one. Failing that, I can always get it recalibrated.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mc donzi View Post
    Hey Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.... I'll call Livorsi to see if they have a dusty old box with a Gaffrig II 80 MPH hanging around.

I saw that Powerquest 100 MPH on Ebay but I'd rather have one without the boat manufacturer reference.

Season is winding down up here(north of Toronto) so I have all winter to find one. Failing that, I can always get it recalibrated.

Dave
    Livorsi may be able to repair that one for you, as I doubt they have old one lying around. If not, one will show up on ebay eventually. Just set up a search and they will tell you when they get listed.

Good luck.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thread Information