View Poll Results: Does Your Engine Have An Engine Lube Oil Cooler ?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Factory Installed Oil Cooler

8 53.33%
  • Factory Installed Thermostatic Controlled Oil Cooler

0 0%
  • No Factory Engine Oil Cooler

2 13.33%
  • Custom-Built Performance Engine Oil Cooler

3 20.00%
  • Custom-Built Performance Engine Thermostatic Controlled Oil Cooler

2 13.33%
  • No Custom Performance Engine Oil Cooler

3 20.00%
  • Oil Coolers Are Unnecessary

0 0%
  • Oil Coolers Cause Oil Condensation Contamination Not To Evaporate

0 0%
  • Oil Coolers Only leak Cooling Water Into Oil When They Fail

1 6.67%
  • Oil Coolers Are More Trouble Than They Are Worth

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: POLL : Engine Lube Oil Coolers ?

POLL : Engine Lube Oil Coolers ?

This poll thread is about engine lubricating oil cooler use on our Donzi performance speedboats.

Included here are~~
    Factory built production marined engines such as Mercruiser, OMC, Holman~Moody, Chris~Craft etc. which may have been originally equipped with a factory installed engine oil cooler .
    &
    Custom-built High Performance Engines~~~ with & without engine oil coolers.

Standard Oil Coolers
    Thermostatically Controlled Oil Coolers
    Power Steering Oil Coolers
    SuperCharger/TurboCharger Oil Coolers
    Power Steering Oil Coolers
    Hydraulic Transmission & V-Drive Gearbox Oil Coolers

You can also leave a post with your comments or opinions, pro or con, on engine lube oil coolers and their usefullness & benefits, or potential weakness.
    Last edited by silverghost; 08-29-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

I'm a bit confused.....
    When you say custom, what comes to my mind is having a shop build a specific cooler to your requirements.
    So, to me, a Revolution Marine 3" X 18" cooler is a stock item good for probably 700 HP and is offered at a good price

on an ongoing basis on eBay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revolution-M...cb7fb7&vxp=mtr

I would have bought one of these (at least eventually) had Michael Brown (Blown Crew Cab) not sent me a cooler from a 350 HP Diesel (continuous rating) at no charge. It's 2.5" in diameter and 15" long, much larger than a stock Merc cooler.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George~
    I should have worded that "Custom Engine Build" not custom oil cooler.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I'm a bit confused.....
    When you say custom, what comes to my mind is having a shop build a specific cooler to your requirements.
    So, to me, a Revolution Marine 3" X 18" cooler is a stock item good for probably 700 HP and is offered at a good price

on an ongoing basis on eBay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revolution-M...cb7fb7&vxp=mtr

I would have bought one of these (at least eventually) had Michael Brown (Blown Crew Cab) not sent me a cooler from a 350 HP Diesel (continuous rating) at no charge. It's 2.5" in diameter and 15" long, much larger than a stock Merc cooler.
    George, how much did your oil capacity increase with the cooler? Do you have any idea of your before and after oil temps? Thanks, John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

John, I think the stock cooler is 1-1/4" dia. X 9" long and is rated by many to be good for 425 HP.......maybe in the cold water at the home of Merc in Wisconsin, but I wouldn't be so confident here in the south.
    I suppose a thermostatically controlled cooler in colder water is a good idea, maybe even essential.
    I suppose the capacity is increased by a pint. I can't address before and after differences since I have never run this boat, in fact it still hasn't run, although it's getting close.
    I did install an oil temp. gauge in the new panel so I'll know what the result is w/this cooler.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Just a bit of info that I picked up in the past. Make sure the oil line inlet and outlet are as big as the hoses you are running to it. More then once I've read where people use a big oil cooler with small fittings and wonder why their oil pressure dropped off.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I did install an oil temp. gauge in the new panel so I'll know what the result is w/this cooler.
    George, where did you install the temp probe?

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Quote Originally Posted by John C in PA View Post
    George, where did you install the temp probe?

John C
    John, it's located in the pan. It's screwed into a Tee that also accommodates the oil drain hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

John, it's located in the pan. It's screwed into a Tee that also accommodates the oil drain hose.
    George,
    I believe you will get a lot cooler reading with the sender in the T rather than in the pan or some place where there is a flow. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Bill, I've been kicking this idea around for a long time (over a year) and I believe the entire assembly will reach the same temperature (i.e., the pan, Tee, and probe all come to the ambient temperature once the engine reaches operating temperature). The probe is somewhat long and extends well into the Tee. I believe the probe end is within 3/4" of the end of the Tee and the actual oil of the pan is flooding the Tee. I really don't think you would see any discernable Delta T whether the probe was screwed directly into the pan, or if it was in the same oil but 3/4" away. Also, the oil in the pan is somewhat turbulent and constantly moving. Over time, I came to the conclusion that this is a good workable location..........once it reached operating temp. I think initially though, you're correct.
    I also thought about locating it in the cooler inlet, but then it really a long way from the engine.
    What WOULD be interesting is to put one in the pan, one in the filter head, and one each before and after the cooler.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    George,
    I believe you will get a lot cooler reading with the sender in the T rather than in the pan or some place where there is a flow. Bill
    In my 302 Ford, the hard pipe from the motor to the pressure sender was 1/4". The oil temp sender I was going to install was 1/4" diameter so I added a T(so I could keep the pressure guage) and bushed the temp side up to 3/8" to allow the sender to be surrounded by oil. I ran on the hose and although I got a normal oil pressure reading I didn't get an temp readings after 10 minutes (it was a 110-240 degree guage). I removed the T and reverted back to a pressure switch only. Yes, I chacked the guage and it worked fine.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Bill, I've been kicking this idea around for a long time (over a year) and I believe the entire assembly will reach the same temperature (i.e., the pan, Tee, and probe all come to the ambient temperature once the engine reaches operating temperature). The probe is somewhat long and extends well into the Tee. I believe the probe end is within 3/4" of the end of the Tee and the actual oil of the pan is flooding the Tee. I really don't think you would see any discernable Delta T whether the probe was screwed directly into the pan, or if it was in the same oil but 3/4" away. Also, the oil in the pan is somewhat turbulent and constantly moving. Over time, I came to the conclusion that this is a good workable location.
    I also thought about locating it in the cooler inlet, but then it really a long way from the engine.
    What WOULD be interesting is to put one in the pan, one in the filter head, and one each before and after the cooler.
    FWIW, if my motor was on a stand I would have had a bushing welded into the bottom of the oil pan and take my oil temp there. Its not too late George.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Brad, it is interesting that you started this poll.

I was going to put up a post about oil temp after a good run last weekend.

First some background info.

1999 22 Classic with a internally stock 454, externally I have EMI headers.

Thermostat is a 160 and I think it holds 7 quarts of oil, it's 20w50 semi-synthetic.

Boat runs ALL the time 160-162 water temp.

Cruising around 3K or so, oil temp is 190.

I grab the temp from the mounting plate of the filter.

So, heading back to camp from A-Bay, approx 15 miles, I started to push the stick.

I cruised 8-10 miles of the return trip at 50-60 MPH.

The last 5 or so miles I opened it up and was running 72-74 at 4900-5000.

Water temp was dead nuts at 160-162, oil temp rose to and held at 260-265.

River water temp was high 60's to low 70's.

I lifted about a third of a mile from my boat house and idled in.

With the oil temp still 260 or so, my oil pressure was 20-22 at 600 RPM.

Before I made it to the boat house oil temp returned to normal, 190. Stupid me, I didn't check the oil pressure.

I would have to think in the above scenario my cooler is properly sized to this engines performance.

I do not know how these number would play out in Florida in August

I would think, if I was pushing more horsepower, a larger cooler would be necessary.

Ken

One thing to keep in mind John, this Tee isn't 1/4", or 3/8", but 1/2" pipe which is 1/2" inside diameter.....it does make a difference. Also, the distance is pretty short.
    The pan's not coming back off!!!!!! so here's the other option:
    The Dart block has some features on the back that're different from GM blocks. If you look at the manual page, you'll see a 1/2" NPT port for oil supply for a dry sump system (I think). I could mount it there, but the oil would be from the cooler and wouldn't be indicative of the actual operating conditions, also the distance from the port down to the gallery is pretty long, so the same problem (if it is a problem) would exist.
    Here's also a picture showing the 1/2" port (If you look closely) just on the other side of the plumbing for the oil pressure sender and the Holley fuel pump safety switch.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I agree your T is a lot larger diameter than the one I used so the oil should flood the sender much easier. My comment was just to provide my experience with a 6" long 1/4" pipe bushed up to a 3/8" T. Considering the location of your sender you should get a reading right away. Due to the laughable access to my oil pan drain plug I don't know how I can install a sender short of pulling the motor.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Thread Information