Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: F/S: Benchseat Hornet Sweden ?

F/S: Benchseat Hornet Sweden ?

There is a 64 Benchseat Single Seat Hornet for sale in Sweden.
    Photos, description & price in their advert.
    The boat is a V-Drive , now restored, and the listing said it was bought out of Florida USA just a few years back .

I assume it was a known Bench Seat Hornet survivor ?

Or~~~Could this have been a new discovery ?

Does anyone know anything more about this boat , or it's past ownership history ?

Is this the partially dis-assembled Bench Seat Hornet that was sitting with a group of many other old boats in a Fla. storage warehouse that was once offered for sale here a few years ago ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 08-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

A link to the ad might prove helpful. . . .
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

I have known about this boat for years. It's no secret. I'm personal friends with the owner and know this boat and it's history. If anyone is seriously interested and has the money and not looking for a 4k Hornet you cam PM me.

Man.... This place is getting stupid!

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Take note all. This was aimed at you.

Man.... This place is getting stupid? What's that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post
    I have known about this boat for years. It's no secret. I'm personal friends with the owner and know this boat and it's history. If anyone is seriously interested and has the money and not looking for a 4k Hornet you cam PM me.

I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Yes Bert.... Was It ment for everyone on the board.... Really??????

Give me a break..... Stop sirring things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pearson View Post

Sure does sound pompous
    pomp·ous
    ˈpämpəs
    adjective
    adjective: pompous
    affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important.
    "a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything"
    synonyms: self-important, imperious, overbearing, domineering, magisterial, pontifical, sententious, grandiose, affected, pretentious, puffed up, arrogant, vain, haughty, proud, conceited, egotistic, supercilious, condescending, patronizing

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    A link to the ad might prove helpful. . . .
    The Stockholm Sweden web link was active earlier this week ~~~but for some reason it appears as dead now ~~perhapps the Hornet was sold ?
    Google still has a cashe of five photos of this now blue boat on their images feature however.

http://blocket.se/stockholm/Donzi_Ho...4_46993529.htm

As far as the Hornet in Sweden~~
    I would Never BUY any boat from Stockholm Sweden sight unseen~~~and would Never consider having it shipped overseas from Sweden to the USA .

As a side observation~~
    It appears that ANY,and ALL, information on all these Benchseat Hornets is always considered classified "Top Secret " by several forum members here ! ?

As far as the other comment on being Serious about actually buying a Benchseat Hornet is concerned ~~
    I know for a fact their are more than a few potential serious Benchseat Hornet buyers out there for a completed boat; or a restortion project~~~
    I have talked to a few as a result of my Wanted: Benchseat Hornet thread posts here~~
    As many here already know~~~I am one of those Serious buyers !

BUT~~~
    It woud appear Nobody in the Entire performance or Antique & Classic boating world today is now interested in buying Your engine-less & partially started/completed Benchseat Hornet project ~~~at least not at Your very high asking Prices $$$ for such incomplete and fairly rough projects ! ! ! ? ? ?
    You had the"Ultimate" for sale a number of times~~with NO takers at your unrealistically High asking price~~
    You had it listed on ebay at a reserve auction~~~but the worldwide pool of potential buyers did not, or would not, meet your very high unrealistic reserve price !
    Everyone that might be interested knows full well that it would take at the very least $75.-4100.K to buy it and finish it correctly, re-power it, before all is said and done .
    I know YOU already have invested quite a bit of time & money in your project to date ~~~
    But these sorts of old boat restoration projects are really just a labor of love~~~~not a really a good sound business investment.
    You will NEVER get MOST of the money $$$ , & your time, you already invested out of such a restoration project~~that is now only partially started~~and now sadly abandoned again after almost 10 years of your ownership.

Also~~~
    The boat in Sweden is listed FINISHED & running ready for the water for only around $22,000 US !
    Sounds like a very very cheap SUPER DEAL to me !
    That boat's owner sounds much MORE than realistic in today's tough boat sales market.

In today's sluggish boat sales market, for these sorts of old rough complete boat restoration projects~~~
    YOU have to be very REALISTIC in YOUR Asking pricing if YOU are really a SERIOUS SELLER !
    Restoration project boats are just NOT selling for very much money at all these days~~~rare boat~~or not !
    That is the true market REALITY in this present economic market !
    Last edited by silverghost; 08-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

seems to me serious buyers and serious sellers have agreed and boats have changed hands lately . the value of these projects and condition ranges and the desire and determination can be quite remarkable in the dream quest ~~some just run their mouth~~

so how much does a 22k complete hornet in sweden cost to get back in the states? and without pics and confirming info posted ~~ how do the members of this forum~~ determine conditions of the restoration?

the restoration process and methods vary from minor to major reconstruction, it is not an easy or cheap road. Going to be interesting to see if these projects find a long term loving donzi home or if they are just finished and sold. I have been contacted by members here and also other boat guys about me hornet very easy to see the truly interested and the tire kickers.

no secrets i think most of the info and pics are out there on these bench seat hornets and let me say one thing the money not re couped in a project is usually labor and any over the top paint and motors, but hardware and parts that money always comes back cause the serious projecteer knows the true value of that

they are great boats had a chance to run Pearson and Tammy around my lake today in my benchseat , good day is it for sale? it's a boat! yes it is always for sale but it won't be given away
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Nothing pompous in my post. I would be happy to give people who are interested in the boat the persons contact information. Thats why I said PM me. There are certain people who love to waste others time when the have ZERO intentions on buying an item.

I certainly don’t know everything and I am more than happyto help someone out who is truly interested in a boat.

On another note…I can assure YOU…you will not find a Benchseat Hornet “unrestored original boat, or older restoration project” for 5K.The last one that sold was 11K and needed a TON of work. The one before thatwas 9.5K and that needed another 8K just to get it in the water.

As far as no one wanting my Bench Seat…I can also assure youthat I have lots of interested people. People who are serious and know what ittakes to bring one of these back the right way. And as far as it being abandoned…Idon’t think so. I continue to work on this project with the others. I did notby this boat for an investment. If that’s what YOU are looking to do you bettertake up another hobby.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

The Hornet boat in SC had a ready to go newly rebuilt & rare period correct Ford Holman~Moody FE Big Block engine that came along with the newly rebuilt deck structure & repaired hull.
    The rare engine alone was worth the eventual $11,000 selling price~~~

The MD rough project Hornet sold to Bert for around $5000. I believe. It was offered to me two years before for a crazy $13,000. price and I passed at that price.
    Bert got a fair deal for this project in it's rough condition . I would have paid what he eventually paid in a heart-beat~~~I missed buying it by only several hours.
    I am glad Bert got the project as he will do a proper job bringing this Benchseat Hornet back to life~~~It looks now like the restoration is well underway~~~Let's hope it soon hits the water again in 2014 !

Again~~~These selling prices are market REALITY !
    Last edited by silverghost; 08-25-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Far from completed...

Don't have the photos of the Hornet accessible now, they are in a stored hard drive. This photo is one of the cache pictures from before the start of the resto. The restoration so far was the completed structural work to hull and deck. Divinycell used throughout and all glass work well done. Re-chromed hardware and original v-drive, rudder in decent shape included. That's it. No interior, no motor, no electrical included etc. Don't believe the gages were looked over yet but at least part of the deal. Not gelcoated yet. Seller dropped asking price a couple of months ago from $35,000 to $22,500 and I believe it now has found a new owner, but haven't verified that. If bought at say $20k, one would have been into it at just about $30k titled back in say NY. Too many interesting rare boat projects for this kind of money available at this side of the pond in my opinion, but if one had deep pockets this is the kind of boat that an open check book could be justifiably applied towards. It will most likely have found a good home in Sweden now though, so at least it won't go to waste.

image.jpg
    LARS THE SWEDE

Lightbulb

Thank's Lars~~~

I believe the on-line advert I read from Sweden said this Hornet came with an original Ford 427 Holman~Moody engine ?
    Perhapps the engine is out of the hull~but comes along with this Hornet ?
    I believe the last USA/Florida owner said he had the original Holman~Moody Ford 427 that would go along with the boat deal.

The text of the online advert gave me the impression that this Hornet was freshly restored ~~~
    Perhapps they were only speaking about the Hull & Deck fiberglass work + new blue color paintwork ?

If you have some time would you please post some of the additional photos, and advert description of this Hornet from your Hard Drive for everyone on the Donzi site to see & inspect.

Thank's
    BRAD~
    Last edited by silverghost; 08-26-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    24' American Skier

Brad Hunter
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

If 427 FE motors were bringing 11k then I am sure someone would have already bought up the 66 DONZI barrel back v-drive or the person who owns this boat would have parted it out. Thats a true HM motor with two fours.

These engines are not bringing that sort of money any more. And it's even harder to get rid of a marine engine. These marine motors are not sought after by the car guys. There is just to many " what ifs".

Lars,

Thanks for posting ~~accurate~~ info. So basically we have two hulls, same price ballpark at the same point full hull resto, no paint , no motor the big difference would be the assembled parts one has everything new original equipment including a bilt rite interior and is on this side of the pond the other has only some parts assembled and will cost more to get it here. all facts an interested serious buyer with cash in hand would take in mind.

What I have seen is when someone really wants one of these boats they become a student of them ,they track them, keep pictures. they jump thru flaming hoops and any hurdles in the way.

The big issue when looking at value in a project boils down to- does it have it and if not what will it cost to get it. Looking at some of the projects that are underway now some projecteers are looking for integral parts that a hard to find if at all and costly to reproduced. Amazing how getting the small stuff may out price the big stuff getting stuff custom made like interiors and windshields or deck hardware when added up can out weigh the price for a motor or drive system

one would be hard pressed to find a donzi built as stout as "the Ultimate" the fully properly cored hull and deck will make it a solid quiet wave crusher will take a lot of power to get it moving. The other key is the ultimate has all the knowledge of the sting build so any issues that came up were addressed from the get go.

I don't know what member said it I think it was George Carter or maybe Bill " buy the best boat you can afford" which will lead you to spending less on overall ownership.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

The problem with buying a boat from outside of the US with the intentions of bringing it back 'home' is that it will have more than likely had a massive import tax paid on it when it arrived in the 'overseas port'.
    Sellers factor that into their asking price so in the end the boat in question is really only marketable in the seller's country.

And don't even talk about the reverse freight.

As an example , our current import tax on boats is 33% . It was at 55% for about 15 years a while back but went back 'down'.
    Freight for a 20 footer from Fernandina Beach or New Jersey is about $6000

Anyone who advertises their boat here for sale and says that they will only go down to 'x price' and if it doesn't go , will send it back to the US is delirious. They may as well just lower the price until it goes. No-one in the US is going to want to absorb our import tax or freight charges x2.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information