Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Well At Least I Got 4 Years Out Of The XR.. :)

Mercury won't help after 4 years. Red loc-tite is the only kind I ever use; Dis-assembly is still easy enough. How tight is the front spanner nut? I don't have a wrench for that. Maybe I should order that tool and a new nyloc nut and do this myself. I'll always be worried about this now though without a positive lock, like a tab washer or small weld.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Carl,is there any way of drilling the nut and shaft and adding a safety wire? Not knowing exactly how the whole thing is assembled it may not work but I share your concerns about the nut backing off again. Just a thought.

That's so incredibly stupid, there are so many good ways to lock a bearing nut in place and they use a Nyloc nut then reccomend Loctite in a hot oil application. So they have us tabs to lock our props on but not the main bearing preload nut in our drives..... Someone needs to be fired.

Here's who we use for most of our custom bearing/spindle applications.

http://www.whittet-higgins.com/
    RickS-E

planned obsolescence

My mechanic, Brian Orlandi @ Orlandi Performance is comfortable with the loc-tite fix along with 3 additional indentations on the nut. He did not like the safety wire idea and that would be hard to do anyway. He's not crazy about the welding idea either. He said that he has never had a problem with one that he has done his way and he works on lots of big performance boats. I might have to trust him on this. The old nut had backed off to the point that it was barely more than finger tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I don't do drag racing starts and I think this drive would have gone the distance had that nut not backed off.
    Carl you misunderstod me or i was expressing my self bad. what i ment was that one thing that put a tremendeous amount of stress on the drives and could kill them must be air time, going from full grip to no grip and back again over and over. like engage and disengage a clutch at high RPM. I was not implying in any way that the failiure of your upper had anything to do with your handling of the boat. I´m sure it was the nut as you say. I will check my own right away. Good luck with your new upper.

NP, fsys, I never took that the wrong way!

OK, I talked with a gentleman at Victory Marine and he informed me that they are aware of this issue and that normally you would loc-tite the nut and use an inch pound torque wrench to set the bearing pre-load. He told me that even done this way, as the bearings wear in there will be some play and the gear will keep pounding against the nut and loosen it anyway. What they do is pull the input shaft and use shims to set the pre-load so that the nut can be torqued down tight while still using loc-tite. I should be good to go when the drive arrives and it is set to be shipped tomorrow. I will be back on the water next week.

Use green loctite, sleeve and bearing retainer.

Ken

Carl,
    Sorry to hear about your drive. No offence to your 525 but I would think an XR should take everything your engine can dish out, especially in such a light boat. Like FYSIS said, seems like Merc wants them to fail over time. I got my Blackhawk rebuilt before this season and it turned out to be needed ( upper gearset did not have much left) but those are regular bravo gears and I have 600+ hp. Sounds like you got good info on the proper fix. Curious, why the new/rebuilt drive? Did you damage the case? Does the price include exchanging your case? I was considering XR's for my magnum but now I have serious concerns about buying used ones...
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Carl,
    Sorry to hear about your drive. No offence to your 525 but I would think an XR should take everything your engine can dish out, especially in such a light boat. Like FYSIS said, seems like Merc wants them to fail over time. I got my Blackhawk rebuilt before this season and it turned out to be needed ( upper gearset did not have much left) but those are regular bravo gears and I have 600+ hp. Sounds like you got good info on the proper fix. Curious, why the new/rebuilt drive? Did you damage the case? Does the price include exchanging your case? I was considering XR's for my magnum but now I have serious concerns about buying used ones...
    Yes, the case broke. Blow up pic 3 in the first post. About the only thing good is the input shaft and u-joint. A lot of rear-end pinion gears use a collapsible spacer to pre-load bearings. It sounds like the shims work though. I don't doubt Brian's fix but now the drive will come with the mod done and ready to go.

Wow, that really was a blow up, $3,900 seems like a good deal then. Hope you are back and running on schedule.
    And it was "dsparis"s coment of planned obsolesence I was agreeing with.

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Has Scott B. known about this since 2004?
    Attached Images Attached Images

So Carl, here we are a year later. What finally happened?
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    So Carl, here we are a year later. What finally happened?
    Put on a new upper from Victory Marine. They said the input shaft bearings are hard shimmed. I'm going to pull it off when I winterize it to check for any play in the input shaft. So far no more problems though.

Time for a whipple and an SCX...

Thread Information