Thread: New Donzi 22 owner

New Donzi 22 owner

Hello there. Just purchased a 1995 Donzi 22 Classic. She has a 454 385hp motor swinging a mirage+ 14.625 by 23 inch prop. What a thrilling ride. I, like most new owners, have found that this is a different boat to master. I am getting my "seat" time. I would however like to try a Turbo 1 prop. Problem is I call Turbo and get some guy that just wants to talk about Yamaha. He actually asked "What's a Donzi?". Does anyone out there have a contact that I can discuss the boat, what it's doing and recommend the "Best Guess" Turbo to start with? I boat on the Chesapeake and live outside of West Chester PA.

Thanks Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Redink View Post
    Hello there. Just purchased a 1995 Donzi 22 Classic. She has a 454 385hp motor swinging a mirage+ 14.625 by 23 inch prop. What a thrilling ride. I, like most new owners, have found that this is a different boat to master. I am getting my "seat" time. I would however like to try a Turbo 1 prop. Problem is I call Turbo and get some guy that just wants to talk about Yamaha. He actually asked "What's a Donzi?". Does anyone out there have a contact that I can discuss the boat, what it's doing and recommend the "Best Guess" Turbo to start with? I boat on the Chesapeake and live outside of West Chester PA.

Thanks Ken
    Ken,

This just doesn't read quite right to me. Yes, Precision did recently become a unit of Yamaha. But, these guys have been big supporters of the Donzi community for over a decade now, including being a consistent sponsor of the Awakening of the Horses at Lake Cumberland, Kentucky. I am pretty sure they know what a Donzi is. Perhaps you just talked to the wrong guy. I would call back and ask for Chris Booe. If it was Chris that you talked to, and you two didn't hit it off for whatever reason, BBlades is also a Precison prop dealer. Good luck with your testing.

Yep, agreed it does not seem right. I will again call the number under the "contact" page of their website. I will ask for either of the two people you have reffered and post what I find. This will be my third call in three days.

OK, Just called Turbo-Prop at the contact number on their website. The gentleman remembered me from this morning. He said he "sent" a picture of a Donzi to the shop in case they did not know what a Donzi was. He said he passed my contact info to them and was surpised they had not called. He did not recognise either name you gave me. He then put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back on and said someone will call me back. He did mention that there was no way to contact the "Prop Shop" directly, that I had to go through the number I was calling.

Just talked to Chris. Super terrrifc, knowledable guy. 14.25 25pitch Turbo1 prop is the correct one to start with. He also said get "Seat Time"! Asked me to PLEASE call back if and when I had ANY questions. He also said That I should hook up with "RoadTrip" for some tips and pointers.

I have a 2001 22C with the 454 MPI MAG with 385hp and with the Turbo1 25 pitch prop I turn around 46-4700rpm WOT, with a supposed 24 pitch Turbo1 prop I'm hitting the rev limiter at 5150ish so I am not too sure the 24 pitch is 24 pitch, so I would venture to say you might want to try a Turbo1 prop somewhere from 23 to 25 pitch and see which one works for your boat. Good luck but the Turbo1 definitely made a major difference in the way the boat performed and handled with both props I have and it was all for the BETTER.....

Steve

I have a 94 with a 330/310hp 454 and swing a 23 Mirage to 4600+. I just tried my friends 25 Mirage and it did exactly what it should and dropped me to 4200+. I would suggest if you to try a 25 mirage before you spend the $$ as a used 25 mirage used is easy to come by for say $200.

PS...yes you need a LOT of seat time in one of these, even at 35mph they are "different".
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

I agree about the seat time when the Mirage + prop is involved as that was the prop I started with it was a 23 pitch and was very scarey to drive at or close to WOT and it would porpise at lower speeds. Now with my Turbo 1 props its get in and go no seat time needed it is very stable and safe to enjoy at all speeds. I also have a Turbo 2+2 and it is also a stable prop but I like and enjoy the Turbo 1 the best. This is just my experience I will never put the Mirage + prop back on my boat. I also tried many props at Big Grizzly's place a few years ago, he was the greatest guy to hang with and he will always be missed and remembered, we spent the day changing out props and they were all Turbo Props and all were very stable props again compared to the Mirage +, the only Turbo prop I tested and did not like was the Turbo Vector at speed it wanted to torque the steering wheel out off your hand. So there you have some info use it as you see fit.

Steve

props I've run.

I've got about 25hours behind the wheel of my 96 22C powered by a carb'd 502 mag b1 drive. The boat came with the original factory installed 25p Merc mirage non-plus. I've had the prop checked and returned to original. The boat runs well with the mirage topping out at 70-71 @ 4800. I've tested a 25p Turbo 1 and it is a good prop with similar performance across the board vs. the mirage. The $285 price tag is attractive vs Merc props at $450 plus. I also test a 25p 4blade Merc rev 4. This prop is the best performing of the 3 with mid range speeds 4-5 mph faster vs a 3blade and the boat is also more stable. The top end speed is only down about 1mph; I saw 69.5 @ 4800rpm. I'd be running a rev 4 if for not the $580 price tag.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Weather was gorgeouson the Chesapeake this past weekend so I had some quality time with the Donzi.Now I understand about the "Trim" and the role it plays in the attitudeof the boat. I purposely did not play with the tabs at all. Left them both up.I am feeling a bit more confident with her. She does porpoise around 3300-4000rpm, above that and she smoothes out. I have not tried the Turbo 1 prop yet.Thanks much to all on this site!

Finally purchased the Turbo 25P prop from Bblades. What a difference and all for the best! No more porpoising, better handling, turns are smoother, etc. The whole boat is running at a better attitude. Have not had it at WOT yet as we are still breaking in the new 502.

Thread Information