Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost a blade...

Lost a blade...

Hi Guys,

I took part in my first Poker Run here in Finland with my Classic 22 Don Aronow edition (496 HO) which I purchased from the US this winter with lots of help from Buizilla to get it sorted. It has been running great with 78mph@5300rpm on the GPS! I can tell you a few guys were blown away when we passed them. We were consistently in 5th place (out of 40 boats) with only a couple of large 90mph+ Fountains in front of us as well as two cats, the rest of the guys were behind us. We were blessed with awesome weather and pretty flat seas.

I drove pretty hard and all I can say is that I am really happy with the way this boat drives! The dual ram steering is just perfect!

Sadly during the last leg of the route we lost a blade on our 4 blade Bravo 1. I don't think we hit anything as all the other blades are fine so my best guess is fatigue at this stage. Having said this I do not know the propellers history... Its a 4 Blade Bravo 1 28P which looks like its had some work done on it based on the sharpness of the leading edge.

Now I need to purchase 1 or 2 new propellers and the question is do I go with a Bravo 1 again or try something else. A 25" Turbo 1 has been suggested as an option.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Serge
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are people on this board that have very precise experience with your set-up who will chime in on possible prop options. That said, are you looking for the best prop for top speed or the best prop for all around speed, handling and control?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Those are pretty solid numbers for that boat and engine combo. I would stick with what works and go Bravo One again. There are a lot of guys here running them as their go to prop.

A good source that I have used here at this address....

http://www.propgods.com/Content2/Default.aspx

Hi Serge..... I felt all along that prop had been tweaked beyond it's limits, and you just found it apparently.. 78@5300 with a std X setting really doesn't make sense... but that prop had been severely thinned and the blade breakage now is a result... I don't know anyone with a stock 496 HO that has run larger than a 25 Turbo or a 24 or 26 Bravo 1.... I wouldn't settle for a 28 B1 again for absolutely sure, i'll look in our stash tomorrow and see what we have.

Jim
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I ran with this boat a few years back at Lake Eufala. It had the porpise and tab dependency that a lot of the later Classic 22s have. Beautiful boat and the owner had worked out how to manage it very well. I agree with Buiz that a Bravo One 28 in stock form is way too much prop for this boat, but I still suggest sticking with a smaller Bravo One or even a Hydro Q4, because I predict that a three blade will accent the handling "opportunties" that I saw with this boat while running next to it. Like I said, those are good numbers for that package, and it probably means you were comfortable with the handling running at that speed, so I would stick with it. If not, time to start testing. FWIW, Ken at Prop Gods, will will allow you to test different pitches of the Bravo One.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Ken at Prop Gods, will will allow you to test different pitches of the Bravo One.
    Todd, did you notice Serge is in Finland???????????
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Todd, did you notice Serge is in Finland???????????
    Yep. Is a Bravo One different in Finland or something? Who knows if Ken would be as flexible with a Fin, but it can't hurt to ask.

I have a 05 22 496HO and run a labbed Bravo I 26P 73mph @ 5100 RPM its my go to prop boat handles great in the slop and decent top end and less tab is needed with this prop...stock X dim. also

I would also try a stock hydro Q4 and turbo fusion (4blade) 25P range...I tied both on my rig and did not like the Hydro but the Fusion is a nice prop (handles well also just not quite as good as the bravo), I use that as my back up four blader. I have also tried a 26P Turbo TXP prop (3 Blade) stock its the fastest prop for me 75MPH 5100 RPM but handling suffers some...

78 MPH @ 5300 seems off to me as your rev limiter is 5150 (I think) and you have reg. X dim and spinning a 4 blade prop (normally is a loss of 2-3 mph top end). Test a few props and see what works well with your boat because in my experience every 22 classic is different....

Good luck keep us posted...

Undertaker

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Yep. Is a Bravo One different in Finland or something? Who knows if Ken would be as flexible with a Fin, but it can't hurt to ask.

It aint easy not being located in the continental US.
    I once did a prop test with Big Grizz in an attempt to rectify my awful handling problems after I finished the St T.

We started out with what he thought was the very best prop for the job. No improvement at all and the entire exercise cost me about $500.

Unless Serge has access to unlimited $$ he's best off to a) try an find a local shop that he can test props with. b) replace like with like , or c) trust the word of someone here with the guarantee that what they recommend will be the absolute best thing .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    It aint easy not being located in the continental US.
    I once did a prop test with Big Grizz in an attempt to rectify my awful handling problems after I finished the St T.

We started out with what he thought was the very best prop for the job. No improvement at all and the entire exercise cost me about $500.

Unless Serge has access to unlimited $$ he's best off to a) try an find a local shop that he can test props with. b) replace like with like , or c) trust the word of someone here with the guarantee that what they recommend will be the absolute best thing .
    This is what I meant.
    Well stated Steve.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thanks guys for all your replies so far, seems I am not getting email notifications when members post. I need to check my spam box.

Here goes.

The boat clearly porpoises up till about 40 mph and engine trim neutral or below, the solution is to use the tabs. However once I start trimming the engine up the boat starts to fly nicely :-) and no tabs were required. We were the fastest boat at the start to hit 60mph and over which meant we pretty much stuck to the pace boat and then hit it when the flag dropped, it took a minute or more before the big guys started passing us.

Regarding some of the comments, as far as I am aware this boat sports a raised X and not a standard X height, someone mentioned a rev limiter set at 5150 but I have certainly not found it.

I do not have the full history on this boat. I found it to be very drivable (for my style) and liked the handling and direct response to steering. Its very sensitive on the chine but does not chine walk and responds quickly to corrections.

I have some video from my onboard GoPro as well as some stuff sent from others I will try and post when I get a half way decent internet connection.

Here is a link of a video shot by one of the spectators during our speed run

I will also repost my numbers again since I am confident about this. We hit 73.7mph on the speed run according to the radar gun and GPS speedo with a FULL tank and two people. As of roughly half a tank of fuel we were hitting 77.1mph according to speedo and GPS map unit. My best personal speed has been 78mph driving alone with roughly half a tank and its repeatable.

I have emailed bblades about the propeller but nothing back from Brad yet, I will also lookup Ken at Prop Gods.

Finding a few propellers to try around here is not easy getting them "finished" is even harder :-)

Best,
    Serge

It looks like Finland is really into boats. That's a good turn out for such an event.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George,

Many of us live on islands during the summer, a boat is not optional :-)

Serge

I'm surprised you got those numbers with the 28P Bravo...
    I had the same power as you on my 22, and with a labbed 26P Bravo my personal best was 78mph as well and the prop was perfect RPM wise (5200RPM). I have the raised X dim as well.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Hi,

I agree but again I have no idea how much this prop was modified and I don't have another Bravo 1 to compare against.
    However everything seems to indicate that I should not be ordering another 28 in any case even if its a Bravo 1 prop.

Serge

Thread Information