Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lake St Clair Magnums

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Thanks Bill for the kind words. Yes the weather here can go into the toilet fast after Oct 1st + the water level drops & that makes for hard times getting off the hoist & to the boat ramps. This November I will be @ Key West with my two son's & Jeff Hall for the boat races so November is not all lost. Mark
    Excellent! Mark, will you be doing some racing? How about Jeff? I wanted to race when I was younger, but I never got the chance. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Excellent! Mark, will you be doing some racing? How about Jeff? I wanted to race when I was younger, but I never got the chance. Bill
    Bill @ 60 my racing days are long over. I raced from 1974 to 1995 with many teams, than I became the APBA, USO, & Silver Cup offshore referee till 2006. Now days I just spectate & watch the racing with no headaches. You never know about Jeff he has a way of finding ways into a race, just like he did @ the Cowles race in England this September in the DRY MARTINI Cig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill @ 60 my racing days are long over. I raced from 1974 to 1995 with many teams, than I became the APBA, USO, & Silver Cup offshore referee till 2006. Now days I just spectate & watch the racing with no headaches. You never know about Jeff he has a way of finding ways into a race, just like he did @ the Cowles race in England this September in the DRY MARTINI Cig.
    Mark,

Great that you are going to Key West , I was planning on going,, but that nasty thing called work has me going to China during that time. I was going to stay at a friends winter place on Marco Island for a little vacation and take in Key West at the same time.

Have a great time. I do miss the fun times down in the Keys
    Enjiy the time with your sons and Jeff

Thank you
    Jim

Next In Line

Well before winter sets in here in Michigan I moved the sedan up the driveway as she is next in line for a make over. With this make over I plan to use the old gel coat by wet sanding & buffing with lots of compound. There is some gel coat that needs repair do to the crash, but should not be to hard to fix. This was never a race boat so all the wood looks real good, as no extra holes were drilled into the stringers & transom & no trees growing out of it like one old Magnum race boat had that's for sale.
    The first thing I did was remove the broken windshield & give it a good power wash again. This sedan looks great for all it has gone through. When the weather permits will do what I can, just counting the days till spring... Mark

Mark,

With the thought of a spring project ahead, winter can be abit more bearable....Good luck!..she looks to have alot of potential.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thanks Pete,,On my way down to Key West for the worlds with Jeff Hall & will be looking for some cool offshore finds & it helps gets your mind off the coming winter. When traveling to south Florida you never know what you will find out in a field..

The latest Magnum to come back to Lake St Clair is Bill's Short Circuit. Some how it found it's way to the Island Grill Tiki Bar for the last weekend it was open for the summer of 2014 along with my Mag. Now that most of the Tiki bars are closing on the lake it's time to put the toys away..

I'm always amazed at how many Magnums are in your neck of the country Mark. And the care that goes into preserving them is just great. I have yet to see a Magnum on Long Island Sound I did once see what must have been a 60' Magnum in Greenwich Harbor. It was not as pretty as the 27 Mags.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Mark - must be nice to see Short Circuit back on LSC.

Greg - not many Mags around here but there will be one going around Manhattan on Sunday for a Fun Run out of Port Washington.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Mark - must be nice to see Short Circuit back on LSC.

Greg - not many Mags around here but there will be one going around Manhattan on Sunday for a Fun Run out of Port Washington.
    Yes Marshall it great to have it back home here on the lake & what's even better I been out on her. Mark

Two great looking boats there!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I'm always amazed at how many Magnums are in your neck of the country Mark. And the care that goes into preserving them is just great. I have yet to see a Magnum on Long Island Sound I did once see what must have been a 60' Magnum in Greenwich Harbor. It was not as pretty as the 27 Mags.
    Greg, Back around 1980 there were around 20 to 25 Magnums on Lake St Clair, just on my homes street alone there were 3 sports that raced . Mark

Ran across Greg G today lurking on the Harlem river. Had a Fun Run in progress with 9 boats which was a pretty good turnout. I recognized Greg's Warlock and told him I couldn't stop as I was in the back of the pack in a 5mph zone. He joined in for a while up into LI Sound and turned off.

Greg, sorry, I was afraid to stop as I was really low on fuel, just made it home. Did manage to hit 84mph right at the end of the home stretch though and that was with an extra 400lbs of passenger.... could have been 87 possibly by my self.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

No worries. How much fuel did you burn on that round trip run? Was it about 40 miles all in? I was out testing a Mirage prop and saw a big Outer Limits turn into the East River, then I remembered that you had said something about a Long Island group running NYC. I decided to go up the Harlem and tie up to see what the fleet looked like coming by. Some very cool boats! I snapped a picture of your Magnum on the Harlem. It turned out to be a nice sunny Fall day and I was able to see the first 27 Magnum on LI Sound. It was fun running with you guys (really more like trying to keep up) with my little TW 23. I actually thought that Frenz would have had more boats show up for that run. NYC never gets old.

Greg, Back around 1980 there were around 20 to 25 Magnums on Lake St Clair, just on my homes street alone there were 3 sports that raced . Mark
    Wow, there's some history. There evidently is a guy in South Florida that has (3) Magnum 27 Sedans. I'm not sure how long he has owned all three.

Thread Information