Thread: poor running mid range speed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

poor running mid range speed

I have a 75 Ski Sporter with a 2011 crate 350 in it. Runs great at WOT ( 4800 rpm) and at idle. When slowing down below about 3800 rpm, the motor seems to have a miss in it. Opening the throttle, it will speed up to 4800 rpm again and seem to run fine. Motor sounds like it is missing from about 2600 - 3800 rpm. I changed from Corsa Thru hull to Straight thru hull exhaust. This was when I noticed the miss in the engine. I have changed the plugs, wires, Distributor cap, rotor and the fuel filter. Motor has less than 30 hours on it.

Any suggestions

Thanks
    Trevor

Could be a carb issue. Is this carbed? If so, what type?
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Holley 4 barrel I think a 4160. I will check tonight as the boat is at the cottage. I should also be able to tell if manual or vacuum secondaries ( there is a vacuum outlet on back of carb, choke side but it is blocked off. Also, choke is not powered, never has been.

Thanks
    Trevor

A 4160 is Holley's vac carb...600cfm but they also have a 750 under the same #. Something is weird obviously. Why did you disconnect the exhaust? Was it running fine before? If so you probably knocked off a vac line or ironically something went awry. I had a 4160 on my old Nova and was constantly having problems with it. Vowed never to own one again but it was just that particular carb that had major float problems.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Lightbulb

By getting rid of the Corsa which are mufflers you may have a back pressure issue, you may need to do some jetting as you can be running lean now. Best advice on this issue will come from Buzilla. It would be a good idea to pull a few spark plugs, post a couple pf shots up here for us to take a look at.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I looked at the carb horn and the only numbers are 6057-5 and underneath 3186. The secondaries are mechanical but when I open the throttle on the carb, the secondaries do not open. The linkage does not pull far enough. the motor runs up to 4800 - 5000 with a 280 drive Solas 21 pitch Titan. The carb does have a vacuum fitting on the choke side but this was blocked from when I got the boat and there are no lines or hoses any where else on the carb. I did notice a small tube coming off the mech fuel pump but I don't see any where for this to join to It is about 2 ft long. The Corsa's don't appear to be mufflers as the sound is the same . I changed to straight tip to match original more closely. I will pull some plugs and post pictures. I also will put the Corsa's back on to see if this makes a difference. If anyone can tell me about the Holley Carb as I can't find info on it. I have a feeling this isn't a marine carb. Any info/help is greatly appreciated

Trevor
    Last edited by tiupc; 07-18-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add information

Thread Information