Thread: Loaded with passengers and fuel, not too bad?

Loaded with passengers and fuel, not too bad?

Was running my 76 18' Classic with 3/4 tank of fuel, and four adults on board on Lake Jackson today. I didn't get crazy with trim because of the passengers, it ran 68 mph on my friends GPS on his smart phone. Running a 383 SBC, TRS 280, 21P Laser II prop. Had full load of extra life vests, two anchors, safety gear two fire extinguishers, etc. Don't know the exact RPM's because the Tach has been acting up, goes to about 2500 and stays there. Going to get the tach fixed, make a run with just me, light load of fuel, an bare minimum to be legal and safe to see what she'll do.

L8R,
    Sid

Nice.

Ken

I think you'll find you'll need a bigger prop than a 21...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I've wanted to try a prop with more pitch, I want to get the tach working correctly, or replace it with one that is to see what it's turning now. I've watched a few threads on here to see what others are running.
    We'll see, I'd like to see a little more speed, but then doesn't everyone?
    L8R,
    Sid

Good numbers for being weighed down like that. I propped my boat to just hit the rev limiter (5,400) running light. I also found that, on my boat, one light passenger makes it more stable and balanced.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I'm not doubting you but something seems off here. Are you sure it's a 21" pitch?

I have a similar setup, 76 2+3 w trs and a sbc striker motor.
    I run 73-75mph on the GPS but am spinning a 24" prop at 5400 rpm.

At 5% slip you'd be spinning 10000 rpm to do 68 according to playing with the prop calculator. I'm assuming you have a 1.5:1 gear ration like my trs.
    DUNESMAN

As far as I know my TRS is 1.5 - 1, and I just had the prop repaired after hitting a concrete bag at the ramp that had been dug up, and the prop shop checked it. He didn't say ahything different. A friend has a prop that he thinks is a 24 or so, he couldn't find any numbers on it, that I am going to try also. I'll call the prop guy to see if mine was changed to more than 21 and let you know.
    L8R,
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney073 View Post
    As far as I know my TRS is 1.5 - 1, and I just had the prop repaired after hitting a concrete bag at the ramp that had been dug up, and the prop shop checked it. He didn't say ahything different. A friend has a prop that he thinks is a 24 or so, he couldn't find any numbers on it, that I am going to try also. I'll call the prop guy to see if mine was changed to more than 21 and let you know.
    L8R,
    Sid
    Right on Si, I'll be curious to hear what you find. I'm also curious to hear what you're spinning rpm wise.

On a different note, we have sibling boats it appears. Kinda an odd / rare setup. Does you engine hatch have the two bumps in it for the Oem logs? What color is your boat, I'd love to see it. Mine is orange and white with blue pin stripes. It's also the same year as yours.
    DUNESMAN

Mine is White with Red Strips, and Blue Pinstripes, my hatch has two cutouts for the original exhaust, my hatch has a scoop also. The hatch is hinged on the Port Side, with the Latch on the Starboard Side at the Rear of the hatch.
    IMG00293.jpg
    Last edited by Sidney073; 07-31-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: wrong info corrected and spelling

Interesting... so you know if that is the orignial hatch? I'd be curious to see what the X dimension of the TRS drive? I'm guessing it might be higher than mine which would explain why your hatch "bumps" are significantly taller than mine...

for some reason, I wasn't able to embed these images, just click on the link

http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IM...4FF90F6_lg.jpg

http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IM...AAD13BE_lg.jpg

does your drive sit higher than this?
    http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IM...6CAF58E_lg.jpg
    DUNESMAN

I'll get more pics this weekend, going to be on the lake so will get some action pics. I'll get some pics of the stern, and some measurements. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney073 View Post
    I'll get more pics this weekend, going to be on the lake so will get some action pics. I'll get some pics of the stern, and some measurements. Where are you located?
    Thanks, I'm curious to see what the difference is. I'm in NW Indiana, S.E. tip of Lake Michigan
    DUNESMAN

Thread Information