Thread: Old 16 - Suppsedly Special Order Factory Gel

Old 16- Supposedly Special Order Factory Gel

Not sure if this is a 1965 or not but the claim is that is was special ordered from the factory. Looks like paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg is it for sale? last I saw it the owner was thinking of selling it but had 2nd thoughts . it has had some repairs but is a very solid boat we gave him the what we had in our records those are the original colors tangerine and blue not a 65.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

No, it is not for sale. I just ran across it. Was that color combo an actual "special order" from the factory?

it is an unusual color combo and it was ordered to be built that way . the owner knows the value of collectibles . It has been posted here a few years back before the current owner had purchased it.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thanks, that is interesting. I guess that substantiates that the Donzi factory would accept a "custom special order" from a client in the 1960's.

Greg

they would build a boat in whatever color the dealer or customer wanted if they could get it. those two colors were popular in the late 60s era but not usually paired together
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I heard that the original owner was a big Fl. Gators fan. Don't know for a fact.

Greg,

I guess my point it is not really a special order, they had both of those color available and you could order any boat with or without stripes right off the price sheet. uncommon yes usually the blue was paired with white and the tangerine was paired with white not tangerine paired with blue. Also note by the late 60s they were getting away from the all dark color hull bottom, sides and deck in favor of the white bottom dark colored sides white deck and stripe in matching color to the sides. I guess by then the early all red boats with the white stripes were showing some fading. Another thing to note is they added colors that were in fad at the time like the light chartruese in the late 70's and teal in the late 80's to early 90s. the core colors really don't go out of style red yellow blue black and white. after the 70's it was a long time until 2004 when orange was brought back in for a short time.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Cool. Here is another little snippet on unusual color combo's from the factory..........

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghied Again 10-13-2003
    My Dad new Don well back in the old days when he use to be a builder. I wish I still had our 1st Green and Red striped Donzi 16 that Don talked my father in to buying in 1964. She wasn't the fastest but it was only the 4th or 5th made. He was a fun guy, that I remember. I was only 14 and the last time I seen him was when I was 17.

gator colors

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Not sure if this is a 1965 or not but the claim is that is was special ordered from the factory. Looks like paint.
    i am the owner of the donzi that was for sale on this site two years ago it was the same colors as the 16 that is swown here but in need of a full resto.i was told when i purchased it that it was built for a doctor that was a hugh gator fan and was featured in the 1980 miami boat show in miami i bought it and it is having the motor installed as we speak after a full resto the boat is all yellow with black stripes and a white bottom and all black custoum seats that i will post pics when finished

Thread Information