Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Donzi Rift

Donzi Rift

Some of you may know me, some of you don’t. For those that don’t I have been involved in classic Donzi’s since I was a kid; literally, and consider the Donzi family as close to my real friends and family as I have. My involvement has ebbed and flowed as I have grown up with life changes, professional changes, and even personal and hobby changes.

I plan to post this a few places, how long it lasts where I post it, is to be determined. Some may know, some may not, that over the last 3-4 years there has been a terrible rift in the Donzi community. From the divorce of the .net/.org websites; to the feuds about reproduction parts, conflicting events, side choosing, bickering; it has degenerated into what can only be considered a high school (at best) drama fest fueled seemingly by selfishness, ego’s, and general childlike behavior.

I have tried for a long time not to care. I have tried to just let it be what it is. But I can’t. The Donzi family, group, and life, is a part of me. I can directly trace my choice in college, my career, the company I own, my best friends and even my wife to be, to this darn community. I grew up grinding fiberglass, painting, wrenching on these stupid objects and now they mean little compared to the personal relationships, experiences, and life long friends I have made.

Today we feud, hoard, and play petty games with people we all used to help, for the common goal. In a time when our hobby is venerable, a time where the future of the glue that started it all, and holds it together, Donzi itself, is seemingly in limbo instead of joining together we more and more split the community, divide the people, ostracize the friends, and ruin what, in my opinion, is the best community of people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. In the history of owner’s groups what small owners group has been better divided than a whole? As a wise man said this weekend “this feels eerily like the split of APBA into APBA, OSS and SBI. Split up a really good thing and destroy it all.”

None of us are perfect. Myself included. I have friends on all sides of this. And while I try not to care, I find it against the fabric who I am.

What is the point of this post? I really can’t say. Do I think I can fix it? No. I am sure some of these “issues” are real to some. But it’s pissing me off royally and damn if I stand idly by.

Chris “CDMA”
    Christopher.d.allard@gmail.com

Hi Chris,
    Quite honestly, I never did understand what caused the big problems here a couple years ago, but I continue to visit and sometimes contribute to the Donzi forum here due to my interest. Sometimes I think there might be too much testosterone at work - kind of like so many of the reality shows on television - lol. Take care, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Bill,

I can't say I am sure either. I think few really know, and less even care, what the story was. The issue has become it isn't just the web forums anymore. It has permeated the events now as well. Who is invited, or allowed, at events. Conflicting events. General division. It is just beyond screwy. I know all won't understand the entirety of my post.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CDMA View Post
    Bill,

I can't say I am sure either. I think few really know, and less even care, what the story was. The issue has become it isn't just the web forums anymore. It has permeated the events now as well. Who is invited, or allowed, at events. Conflicting events. General division. It is just beyond screwy. I know all won't understand the entirety of my post.

Chris
    I understand......
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I never understood what happened, or continues to happen either. I just go about my business posting the things that are interesting to me and treating others the way I'd want to be treated given the difficulty that communicating via the net already presents. I'm also one of the few with a weedeater 16 so I'm down in the pecking order lol. If others like what I'm posting, that is great to. I tend to go overboard with my forensics anyway when I latch onto something so most of my posts are too long winded to start! With three kids and my wife and I both working, I don't get to the events, but I'd certainly like to attend one at some point and hope that the bickering you mention has not reached that level as to divide attendees and the like.

I'm still pissed I did not get to see GEOO running at any point in LI sound back in the day
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Hi Chris!
    Sorry I missed you when we passed through Louisiana, I think you were getting over jet lag, or something.
    We both probably know all the players, the egos, stubbornness, and personal allegiances of many of them, although you probably know them better than I do.
    Unless some of them are willing to change their minds, I don't see much happening.
    But, I'm eternally optimistic.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Just imagine It would be like when Pink Floyd got back together for Live Eight
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Yesterday

I was driving down Nasa Rd 1 here in Seabrook and a teal 22 was gassing up. It was no one other than Jay Z. I whipped it around to chat for a few then Blake Sullivan came up on us. Now there were three trucks taking up all the space around this 22 when another suburban pulled in. It turns out to be an old work comrade that knew Jay Z. I was able to visit with him and look at his re-done fish boat. Long story short is that it took one boat to pull all these people together on a lawn mowing, auto part retrieving early Sat AM. It is a family environment and I value all the relationships that come from that.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Well said, Chris.

We are a small community and whatever divides us only counts a fraction against all that unites us.

I would like to urge all the aggrieved parties to move forward - for the good of all. It's never too late.

Don't carry grudges - they get really heavy over the years.

And don't stay mad at friends - at the end of the day, the friendships we have forged outweigh everything else.

-Jay

Chris; Nice to hear from you, to bad its not in a lighter
    vein.. You were the very first person I ever did a
    business deal with over the internet
    (I bought your Procharger) I have watched you climb the corporate ladder then you seemed to have faded away. Let us know what you are doing along with some pics of any boats you have and a few of the soon to be boss..Take care...Ed in Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Jraysray View Post
    I was driving down Nasa Rd 1 here in Seabrook and a teal 22 was gassing up. It was no one other than Jay Z. I whipped it around to chat for a few then Blake Sullivan came up on us. Now there were three trucks taking up all the space around this 22 when another suburban pulled in. It turns out to be an old work comrade that knew Jay Z. I was able to visit with him and look at his re-done fish boat. Long story short is that it took one boat to pull all these people together on a lawn mowing, auto part retrieving early Sat AM. It is a family environment and I value all the relationships that come from that.

Scott, I was pretty amused by that too. Great seeing y'all! I think it was about 2 years ago that I saw your yellow 18 in West Marine and my son and I introduced ourselves and said something like I always liked these old Donzis...

...anyway hope to see you and your 18 around sometime soon.
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Donzi Rift

I was involved in something a few years ago that was much like what is described here, there was a single group that became divided into first 2 then 3 groups that were doing much the same thing. It finally became apparent to myself and the leader of one of the groups that if we didn't work together then we all would suffer. We began working together on Rule Books, Scheduling, even as far as helping each other with events. It really worked out great, when the two of us left the groups by new blood taking over leadewrship, and for work committments, they lost sight of our vision. Now one of the groups is no longer in business, although again newer leadership is in place with the 2 remaining groups and they are again working together.
    One reason I haven't been more active on this site, or attended any events, is some of the posting. I just don't feel like dealing with the bickering, or accusations, etc..... If the demeaner changed, and there was some attempt at being civil then I would really enjoy attending events, I have attended several with another group that has nothing to do with Donzi's, I would love to be around a group of Donzi owners who want to strengthen the mystique of the brand.
    I'll keep checking in more often......
    L8R,
    Sid

Nice to see you on the board Chris , it has been a while. I hope all is well in your world and your knowledge is missed around here. I agree with you 100 percent
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

I agree with the essence of your post Chris. It is too bad there has to be a divide in the community.

It is only among a few people though and most here (and those at .org) still like to help others. The very few that cause problems....although I agree it's tough....I try to ignore.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Agree 100%

I agree with 100% of everything you have said Chris. I recognize that something has happened. It seems that the ones that know, know, and the rest of us, or, me actually, in the dark. But this I do know, everyone I have met at the events have all been great people.

Steve

Thread Information