Thread: X-18 steering wheel torque

X-18 steering wheel torque

When running my sons X-18 I have found it has a lot of steering wheel torque to the left. The X-18 is running a left hand 15 5/8 21 pitch Solas 3 blade prop with a Volvo 270t drive. The drive has a torque tab clocked slightly to the right, if moved more to the right the prop blows out & the Donzi will go hard left. Has anyone experience this before ?? It's been 40 years since I have owned a classic Donzi but don't remember having this problem with my 16'. Any info would be appreciated.

Mark

did you try spinning it right?

I have right hand nibrow props [15x23p, & 15x21p.14x21p] I could try.

I have owned multiple 18' Donzi 2 + 3's and they always had a tremendous amount of torgue. The Volvo drives without power steering and power trim always gave me a workout. My friends had Donzi x18's with trs drives,power steering and trim and they drove like a Cadilliac compared to my 18.

Quote Originally Posted by rr1048 View Post
    I have owned multiple 18' Donzi 2 + 3's and they always had a tremendous amount of torgue. The Volvo drives without power steering and power trim always gave me a workout. My friends had Donzi x18's with trs drives,power steering and trim and they drove like a Cadilliac compared to my 18.

what direction did you spin it? what direction did they spin it?

just dont look for any support around here. its against their religion to spin it right.

Last edited by Donzi_Dude; 06-15-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Frank "Mr Penbroke" designed a tab that did a decent job of taming the steering, do a search it should turn up.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I remember I once lost a PS belt on the Minx!
    Boy, was that a handful!
    You not only had to fight the torque, but also the dead hydraulic steering cylinder.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Mark...I'm not sure why but I drove an X-18 with a Volvo (no power) and it was perfect...no torque steer. So, it is possible. I'm hoping when I get my 18 done, it doesn't give me too much trouble...

A
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Aaron I did not have it in my 16' Donzi, but I was running a aluminum prop. I have had the same problem with my twin engine Donzi Doral with mechanical steering, it may be due to the Solas props, as I ran Jeff's props on the Doral last summer. I know a Hynautic system would fix it but that's last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Aaron I did not have it in my 16' Donzi, but I was running a aluminum prop. I have had the same problem with my twin engine Donzi Doral with mechanical steering, it may be due to the Solas props, as I ran Jeff's props on the Doral last summer. I know a Hynautic system would fix it but that's last resort.

You should have equal torque with twins unless you are spinning them the same direction, spinning them the same direction will give you a lot of torque and cost you some speed.

Mop right you are about twins but the Doral has counter rotating props turning outward but it still torques to the left. I have had 10 twin engine offshore boats but the Doral is the only one with mechanical steering with that problem.. My luck the X-18 has it too.

The tab needs to be angled to the left/port side so the thrust from the prop leans on the drive and balances the props torque instead of increasing it.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Throughout the 70's and most of the 80's my pops had a twin Volvo powered sport boat with counter rotating 270's and no power steering. I battled for years to adjust the torque out of the steering using the exhaust outlet/tabs but never succeeded. Driving that thing was a bear.

(Did someone say 'buy a D/P unit ? )
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Mop right you are about twins but the Doral has counter rotating props turning outward but it still torques to the left. I have had 10 twin engine offshore boats but the Doral is the only one with mechanical steering with that problem.. My luck the X-18 has it too.
    Check your toe in, it should be set at 9/16" with both tabs straight no offset. Volvo's have always needed more than most, below is a great shop manual link look down about pg. 140. The link is great for all Volvo owners!

http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/...p%20manual.pdf

Phil

Thread Information