Thread: In the process of restoring an '89 30' Black Widow

In the process of restoring an '89 30' Black Widow

First post on this board, hello to all.

I purchased this boat about 3 months ago in pretty rough shape. The original owner purchased the boat new in 89 and sold it to the 2nd owner last year. He had it about 6 months and then I purchased it from him. I did moisture meter readings on the hull and transom and all was well - no real damage/stress marks on the glass either. It's obvious it was very well cared for up until it's later years. The boat has 330hp Merc 454s with Bravo Ones, hour meters read 370 and are still functioning. First thing I did was a complete mechanical overhaul - the port motor ended up having poor compression on the #5 cylinder due to a stuck valve. Beyond pulling the cylinder head to fix that most of the other stuff was minor. We had to rebuild 3 of the trim cylinders, replace the trim tab pump, rebuild carbs, plugs/wires, distributors/cap/rotor/etc. Next up came the exterior cosmetics.

The day I bought it (it looks WAY better in this photo than it did up close in person):

Original idea was to color-sand and buff the original red gel but after getting into and realizing it was dead and not worth saving I decided to paint. We used Interlux AWL-GRIP and I could not be happier with the results. A super slick finish that will not fade, ever. We wet-sanded and buffed the original white gel and it came out great.

Paint process:

Finished product with new rub rail and decals:

Next (and last) step is to completely rebuild and re-cover the interior. This may have to wait until the end of the season.

A couple of photos from Memorial Day Weekend:

Very sharp, nice work!
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Smile

Nice job!!! I had a ride in one years back at the 1K run, talk about a wave crusher!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Looks great, thanks for ponying up the pics!
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information