Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have a leak!! Help me make a checklist please

Have a leak!! Help me make a checklist please

Hey guys,

I have a leak that seems to be getting worse on my '93 King cobra Classic 22.

It looks like it is coming from the inner transom plate when I glanced under the engine while in the water. Everything sure seems solid and the core looks good.

I just pulled the outdrive hoping to find an easy fix but I don't seem to have one that jumped out at me. THe bellows only had grease in them - no water. The boat has through-hull exhaust but there is a Y-Pipe -just capped off and not in use. There is a molded rubber seal around the shift cable and there is of course the hose that feeds the motor.

I really don't want to pull the engine again since I just got everything running again.

Thanks for any guidance.

Jay
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Biggiefl recently had a similar problem w/his Bravo drive.
    We came up w/quite a list, but it ended up being the transom seal.
    I think the drives are similar enough for the list to be useful.
    Just do a search on his screen name.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Most likely the transom seal, you can try and check the 8 nuts on the inner transom plate for tightness first. Finding a leak is tough and process of elimination.
    Rated 'R'
    Raw Rowdy & Rockin

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    Most likely the transom seal, you can try and check the 8 nuts on the inner transom plate for tightness first. Finding a leak is tough and process of elimination.
    ...I'm going to try to find the leak from the outside in and double check everything and if that doesn't work I think I might raise the bow and flood the bilge with food colored water and try to find the leak from the outside. - what do y'all think?
    Jay Z.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    ...I'm going to try to find the leak from the outside in and double check everything and if that doesn't work I think I might raise the bow and flood the bilge with food colored water and try to find the leak from the outside. - what do y'all think?
    That or dunk it on the trailer. Let it sit with power and without power and watch for the leak. Transom or engine you should find it.

Looked good running the other day.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Does food colored water stain?
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

First thing is to dunk it with engine off and see if it leaks. If not then it is the engine or raw water supply. Mine unfortunately was the worst case scenerio(other than cracked block) and EVERYTHING had to come out to fix a friggin $25 seal.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    First thing is to dunk it with engine off and see if it leaks. If not then it is the engine or raw water supply. Mine unfortunately was the worst case scenerio(other than cracked block) and EVERYTHING had to come out to fix a friggin $25 seal.
    definitely leaks while not running.
    Jay Z.

My y pipe always leaked even tho I plugged it. If yours isn't plugged it leaking bad. On my repower I pulled the y pipe and installed a block off plate. I had no leaks on my test break in. They have one more at sea way marine in Seattle if you want to buy it. I bet those things are getting rare. They ship all over country.

Other than that, only the bellows and shift cable can leak. Did you replace bellows?
    Top Gun 1992 22 Classic 540hp rebuilt HP500 King Cobra

There are two holes on the y pipe about an inch and a half from the top. I wrapped hose around them and clamped it but it always leaked.

Well now you need to check the y-pipe and any cables, etc coming through the transom. You should try tightening(gently) the bolts to your transom assembly. this did nothing for me because corrosion got between the transom and assembly and it would not tighten down. To rule out the transom seal, run a bead of silicone around the drive....don't worry it comes off pretty easy. Make sure you get it everywhere. If it slows it down or stops it...you know what you have to do next. I don't think you could flood the bildge with engine in without ruining the starter, etc.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Part number for the block off plate, o-ring, and bolts is OMC# 3850889, $15.35.

Thanks guys, more snooping around tomorrow and if I dont see anything suspect I'll put the drive back on and dunk it and look closely once more. ...sure don't feel like pulling engine again.
    Jay Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Jraysray View Post
    That or dunk it on the trailer. Let it sit with power and without power and watch for the leak. Transom or engine you should find it.

Looked good running the other day.
    Thanks Scott. I think I will run it again this weekend.
    Jay Z.

Thread Information