Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Sutphen 16

I was told by Morgan @ Sutphen the reasoning behind the 40hp is for the Canadian market. In Canada, a 12 yr old can legally operate a boat up to 40hp. I'm sure it would be a hoot with a 90 on it!

That is interesting, I'm not familiar with the specific laws up there but know that Rich Jr has sent several boats to dealers in Canada including the 525 equipped 21 that clocked 93 on GPS. Sutphen must be developing that market further with the new 16's.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by MR MAGOO View Post
    Got to strongly disagree with you on this one even though I've been a Donzi fan for decades andowned a new 22 Classic back in the eighties. Did not keep it very long as it had rather odd handling issues such as bow steer... I've spent a lot of time in the 21 Sutphens and have a 2010 350MPI powered one here at my house. It handles incredible, much more stable than the 22 Donzi and handles moderate chop with ease, getting on top and running flat. It's also very efficient, running 73 mph with a labbed 27p Mirage Plus.
    Glad you like your Sutphen. And for the record, I have nothing against Morgan, great guy when I met him. I just wasn't impressed with his product. And for the reasons I have already stated. We boat in some very adverse conditions, at times here, in the Great Lakes, and I'll take my 24 degree dead rise over what I experienced on my demo ride. As for the 22 having built-in handling issues, there are enough folks here to help with just about any opportunity you might have, and I have tapped into it and shared lessons learned, a bunch over the years. The Flowerboat handles beautifully, and oh BTW, it could be faster than it is, but I set it up for handling first, so my wife will actually ride with me, too. A different butt for every seat, and good luck.

Greg. I am starting to see a lot of Checkmate outboards around lately. Seems like a cool little boat, but their website doesn't mention a 16.

http://www.checkmatepowerboats.net/

I guess Checkmate stopped building the 16's. I wonder why Hornet Marine doesn't build a few 16 weed wackers and put either a small block ETEC 200 or Merc 200XS on it. I'd happily offer "testing" services I wonder how the cost and performance would compare to their I/O model. The ETEC might deliver 60mph light on fuel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg, Patience Grasshopper.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Had a great day over in Lake Hopatcong at the OPA event something came up in the Sutphen camp that they couldn't make it hope it is nothing serious . saw a lot of different brands running , met some great people and one Donzi owner. I wore the old school colors I'll start a new thread with the pics and vids. this was a first time event hope they do it next year had a blast
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I guess Checkmate stopped building the 16's. I wonder why Hornet Marine doesn't build a few 16 weed wackers and put either a small block ETEC 200 or Merc 200XS on it. I'd happily offer "testing" services I wonder how the cost and performance would compare to their I/O model. The ETEC might deliver 60mph light on fuel.
    A couple of years ago I fell in love with a restored 19 Checkmate with a 300XS on the back. It had four bucket seats with custom consoles in between. The driver's center console had the throttle and a bunch of toggle switches (LH steer boat). Very similar to what Parnell did with Sweet Cheekz. Really really slick setup, and probably an 80+ mph boat. Almost dropped the hammer on it but it wasn't "practical" enough at the time.

The little Sutphen is pretty cool, glad to see some more entry level boats out there. I'd love to see one of the Hornets with a whacker.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Greg, Patience Grasshopper.
    Bill, throw a wacker on the back of this Hornet 17 with your chop skills

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Had a great day over in Lake Hopatcong at the OPA event something came up in the Sutphen camp that they couldn't make it hope it is nothing serious . saw a lot of different brands running
    Among the shipbuilders at Elco at the time was another family member, Samuel Sutphen, a young married man and father of a young son, Richard. After the war ended, the ardent wish of almost everyone was a quick return to normalcy. People wanted to pickup their lives where they’d left off before the war, turned things upside down. For Sam Sutphen, the answer was in owning his own marina where he could build any kind of boat he wanted but at his own speed. There in Lake Hopatcong, NJ, he turned out fishing boats, sail boats, speed boats... even an occasional barge. And inevitably by his side was his son Richie, father and son, elder teaching younger like a sponge soaking up everything his dad showed him about how to be a master boat builder. That’s where the knowledge for plug and mold building became etched in his mind for use in later years

“When fiberglass hit the market I started racing skiboats, then hydros. In the early 60’s I competed all over North America” he recalls. He drove boats for factory teams and himself; seat time in 165+MPH boats gave him a look at a new dimension, persistence. That’s where he developed his skills for what was to come...his own company, he continued to work out of his dad’s marina till 1965. It was then that he made the decision to break away and devote all his time and energies to manufacturing fiberglass boats. “If you are to build something unique, you had better have the ability to do it on your own merits and not copy someone else’s design which is so prevalent in this industry.

Quick hack job. But it gives you something to consider. The engine is a Mercury 150 Four-stroke.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Among the shipbuilders at Elco at the time was another family member, Samuel Sutphen, a young married man and father of a young son, Richard. After the war ended, the ardent wish of almost everyone was a quick return to normalcy. People wanted to pickup their lives where they’d left off before the war, turned things upside down. For Sam Sutphen, the answer was in owning his own marina where he could build any kind of boat he wanted but at his own speed. There in Lake Hopatcong, NJ, he turned out fishing boats, sail boats, speed boats... even an occasional barge. And inevitably by his side was his son Richie, father and son, elder teaching younger like a sponge soaking up everything his dad showed him about how to be a master boat builder. That’s where the knowledge for plug and mold building became etched in his mind for use in later years

“When fiberglass hit the market I started racing skiboats, then hydros. In the early 60’s I competed all over North America” he recalls. He drove boats for factory teams and himself; seat time in 165+MPH boats gave him a look at a new dimension, persistence. That’s where he developed his skills for what was to come...his own company, he continued to work out of his dad’s marina till 1965. It was then that he made the decision to break away and devote all his time and energies to manufacturing fiberglass boats. “If you are to build something unique, you had better have the ability to do it on your own merits and not copy someone else’s design which is so prevalent in this industry.
    Greg can I get a foot note??
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I had a 1979 Checkmate 16' Predictor with a 115 Tower o' Power on it and she was a solid 55mph ride. Neighbor had a 140 Looper on his and it would do over 60. They only weighed like 700lbs. That 16 Sutphen with a 40 I would bet on 35mph due to design. It 'should" be able to handle 115 or so and get close to 55+. Doing 50+ in a boat that small is a hoot and much lower than a Donzi/Hornet to the water. I had a 15' Boston Whaler with a slightly modded 70 OMC and she would do 48+ and it took everything you had to keep yourself from flying out of her. Ever drive a 12' Mini-Hawk with a 40 on it?
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

No, but maybe I should...

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    Ever drive a 12' Mini-Hawk with a 40 on it?
    Old guy on the corner in Kentucky pulls one out on every major weekend and puts a for sale sign on it. Merc 75HP (at least that is what the cowling sticker says, ahem) on the transom spinning a small five blade. I've stopped and looked at it, talked to the man who offers no details on it (I ask a question and he looks at me like the thing dropped off the moon last night into his front yard), I've noticed the transom about ready to come off the boat, ask for a starting price which he never gives me and suggests an offer, and I get in my truck and leave. Maybe I need to suggest a demo ride on Memorial Day coming up and then maybe I might make an offer. This has been going on for a couple of years now, and the routine repeats every time almost exactly to the letter....

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    That 16 Sutphen with a 40 I would bet on 35mph due to design. It 'should" be able to handle 115 or so and get close to 55+. Doing 50+ in a boat that small is a hoot and much lower than a Donzi/Hornet to the water.
    The Sutphen does look to have lower freeboard than a 16 Baby. I say put a 225 on it and let 'er rip. Same for the Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Old guy on the corner in Kentucky pulls one out on every major weekend and puts a for sale sign on it. Merc 75HP (at least that is what the cowling sticker says, ahem) on the transom spinning a small five blade. I've stopped and looked at it, talked to the man who offers no details on it (I ask a question and he looks at me like the thing dropped off the moon last night into his front yard), I've noticed the transom about ready to come off the boat, ask for a starting price which he never gives me and suggests an offer, and I get in my truck and leave. Maybe I need to suggest a demo ride on Memorial Day coming up and then maybe I might make an offer. This has been going on for a couple of years now, and the routine repeats every time almost exactly to the letter....
    Flowerpot II. You know you want to. She can be a tender for the Formula!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Thread Information