Thread: Replaced my thru hull rubber flappers

Replaced my thru hull rubber flappers

I never liked the look of the standard rubber flappers on my tips so I had my better half get me these replacements for last Christmas. They slip over the Gibson Power Tips I have now (you can see the line about an inch out from the mounting ring) and there is a SS nut and bolt in the circumferential direction (on the bottom) to hold them on tight. I got the angled style as the flap attachment (and replacement) hardware is better hidden than on the square cut model. IMO, they give a much neater and cleaner look.

IMG_20130410_120018_542.jpg
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Nice flap, flap, flapper......I'm interested in that little emblem in the upper right hand corner of the pic........where did you get that little guy?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Is that factory goop on your transom assembly vs transom? Sorry if that came out wrong.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Greg, its a metallic decal that was on the transom when I bought the boat. Above the Donzi is printed "Quality Certified" amd above that is an inscribed signature that looks like "Chris C".

HTH, John C

IMG_20130422_231630_834.jpg
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    Is that factory gook on your transom assembly vs transom? Sorry if that came out wrong.
    Huh? Do you mean the clear caulk around the transom adaptor? My seal let go last year and the local shop who actually knows about OMC pulled everything apart to check it out since the clown who inspected it for me after purchase missed the leak. But he did charge me a lot - per his reputation. The caulk is part of the repair.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Sorry...that came out wrong. But you did answer my question. It is not OEM goop, aftermarket .
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Very clean look over the other option(Salisbury flaps) ..Ed

Double exhaust flappers?

Something I just thought of as I was selling a lot of excess stuff.

When we went thru hull on our boats Mercruiser told use we needed two methods to protect the engine from water intrusion.
    I think this makes a lot of sense. I am not sure if people are even aware of this recommendation or that inline flappers even exist, I wasn't.

We got ours from Corsa. they fit right inside of the exhaust hose and are held in place with a single hose clamp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Hartmann View Post
    Something I just thought of as I was selling a lot of excess stuff.

When we went thru hull on our boats Mercruiser told use we needed two methods to protect the engine from water intrusion.
    I think this makes a lot of sense. I am not sure if people are even aware of this recommendation or that inline flappers even exist, I wasn't.

We got ours from Corsa. they fit right inside of the exhaust hose and are held in place with a single hose clamp
    I've got some Corsa tips with the internal flappers too. They're nice - counter-weighted so they default to the closed position but open via exhaust pressure when the engine is running. I run the external flappers as well. All it takes is one good wave to the stern when you're anchored up to put a bunch of water into the exhaust, especially with short risers.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Keep an eye on the sealing job around the shield, if the guy used the wrong type of Silicone it will cause corrosion.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information