Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first boat!

Donzi went through several owners over the years, some were better at building boats than others.
    In the '70's, Chisholm was the owner and it was run like a hobby (I've been told) w/just a few boats
    built each year. The Chisholm ownership originated the 22 in at least 3 forms, the Criterion, the F-22,
    and the 22C. The hulls were identical, only the decks changed. The construction of the series
    tended to be light in glass. There was a lot of cracks in the cockpit area of each series.
    In about '85, Staples bought the company and carried on the less than ideal glass schedules.
    Sometime in '89, or so, OMC bought Donzi and moved at least some of the 22 production to
    the Chris Craft plant in Michigan. The CC built boats are supposed to be some of the best 22's
    built. In 94, American Marine Holdings (AMH) bought Donzi and made some significant improvements
    right across the line. These have become the used Donzi's to buy. There were some issues in the
    rear hull bottom between the inner strakes, primarily in boats w/larger engines. There were a
    couple of factory fixes in the 2005 (or so) period.
    I'd like to add the current ownership is building some of the finest Donzi's ever built in the old
    Fountain plant in NC. I have toured the factory and was impressed. They are offering 22's w/as
    much as 565 HP.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thats some good history there thank you.

I bought a 1981
    Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    In about '65, Staples bought the company and carried on the less than ideal glass schedules.
    actually, it was '85...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    actually, it was '85...
    Even on my best of days, I have typos!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    Thats some good history there thank you.

I bought a 1981
    Should I be worried?
    I restored an '88 22C Testa Rossa. It had about as many issues as any do.
    Here's a link to a thread covering all the work I did and decide if it's
    worth it.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...etting-serious

Or you could buy my my boat!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

WetCoast, many DONZI's around. Take a long coffee and go looking and driving.

What do you want ? EXACTLY

Where are you ?

I have some on the west coast ... ( OK, two running, two spare, not running )
    Last edited by Lenny; 04-26-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
    Hi all, thread revive. Back when I started this thread I ran into some money issues after I found the perfect boat for me which Boomr was considering selling. I've now got back on my feet and have cash in hand to pull the trigger. Does anyone know Boomr (Mike) or how to get a hold of him? He offered me a great deal on a 22C 502 with a procharger and I'd love to snap it up if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    WetCoast, many DONZI's around. Take a long coffee and go looking and driving. What do you want? EXACTLY where are you? I have some on the west coast ... ( OK, two running, two spare, not running)
    100% agree with Lenny. On top of that if you only want a 22 Classic there are more 22's out there for sale than 18's. A start might be contacting Pat McPherson here on this board. He has a super clean 22 for sale.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Well wetcoast? What's the latest?

WetCoast, many DONZI's around. Take a long coffee and go looking and driving.

What do you want ? EXACTLY

Where are you ?

I have some on the west coast ... ( OK, two running, two spare, not running )
    Sorry for the late replies. For some reason the subscriptions aren't sending me e-mails.

I want something $20k or less with a big block and a bravo 1. I'm pretty handy mechanically but would like to enjoy it a bit instead of working on it for a year before getting out on the water.

I'm located in Langley, BC, Canada but I was about a day away from sealing a deal on a Chris Craft Xk-18 in Austin Texas for the right deal.

Can you PM me so we can chat?

Quote Originally Posted by 22classic View Post
    Well wetcoast? What's the latest?
    Sorry, my notifications haven't been coming to my e-mails. I'm still looking albeit not very successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Donzi went through several owners over the years, some were better at building boats than others.
    In the '70's, Chisholm was the owner and it was run like a hobby (I've been told) w/just a few boats
    built each year. The Chisholm ownership originated the 22 in at least 3 forms, the Criterion, the F-22,
    and the 22C. The hulls were identical, only the decks changed. The construction of the series
    tended to be light in glass. There was a lot of cracks in the cockpit area of each series.
    In about '85, Staples bought the company and carried on the less than ideal glass schedules.
    Sometime in '89, or so, OMC bought Donzi and moved at least some of the 22 production to
    the Christ Craft plant in Michigan. The CC built boats are supposed to be some of the best 22's
    built. In 94, American Marine Holdings (AMH) bought Donzi and made some significant improvements
    right across the line. These have become the used Donzi's to buy. There were some issues in the
    rear hull bottom between the inner strakes, primarily in boats w/larger engines. There were a
    couple of factory fixes in the 2005 (or so) period.
    I'd like to add the current ownership is building some of the finest Donzi's ever built in the old
    Fountain plant in NC. I have toured the factory and was impressed. They are offering 22's w/as
    much as 565 HP.
    Thank you very much for the rule of 1994! I read about it but never know the specifics.

Wet Coast, BB and Bravo's in an 18 aren't common ( very rare factory ) and the handling and power to weight ratio in that package is not " all that desirable " in my opinion. The same HP is found in small block strokers ( or more ) while shedding 200 pounds aft which the boat LOVES.
    IMO, if an 18 is the ticket then a SBC and Alpha and blow up the Alpha and change it out to a BRAVO ( larger cutout, barely ) or preferably IMCO shortie later.

If BBC is your desire, and the BRAVO, then only think 22. And again, later on, think IMCO lower

my $.02

IMO only

Wet Coast, BB and Bravo's in an 18 aren't common ( very rare factory ) and the handling and power to weight ratio in that package is not " all that desirable " in my opinion. The same HP is found in small block strokers ( or more ) while shedding 200 pounds aft which the boat LOVES.
    IMO, if an 18 is the ticket then a SBC and Alpha and blow up the Alpha and change it out to a BRAVO ( larger cutout, barely ) or preferably IMCO shortie later.

If BBC is your desire, and the BRAVO, then only think 22. And again, later on, think IMCO lower

my $.02

IMO only

Yes, my first choice is a 22C or 22ZX. Second would be an 18.

I've have become fairly proficient with HPTuners while tuning my Caddilac after a cam swap and pulley changes so if the right 18 came along without power I might even venture to try a LS engine swap into an 18C but that would kill my boating season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
    Yes, my first choice is a 22C or 22ZX. Second would be an 18.

I've have become fairly proficient with HPTuners while tuning my Caddilac after a cam swap and pulley changes so if the right 18 came along without power I might even venture to try a LS engine swap into an 18C but what would kill my boating season this year.
    I suggest you speak with Glen.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    I suggest you speak with Glen.

Ken
    Which Glen??? LOL I know lots of Glen's.

Thread Information