Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first boat!

PM sent

PM sent

Agree with biggiefl

Biggiefl is right - a first boat that goes 70 is risky. My 16 at 58 can get scary - water ripples come up awfully fast, and can really be hazardous...
    2009 Classic 16
    NW Tampa Bay

oops, double post

To be fair on we(s?)tcoast he might have chosen his words a little too carefully when he admitted to being around boats all his life (and is now able to finally own one of his own) .

If he had , like many others in the past have, said 'I saw my first Donzi when I was 11 and always wanted one of those fire breathing/snorting sex symbols and can now afford it , what's the difference between a 16 , an 18 and a 22 ?' Well then , I might go along with some of the other posters . But he's admitted to being around boats all his life. He could come from a family who's owned many nice (larger than Donzis ?) boats , or other hi-perf brands. Run them and helped maintain them.
    He's just finally in a position to buy his own .

Well , that's sort of my perspective on it based on my personal history .
    I'm sure he can clarify a bit more .

At any rate , for an absolute beginner ? Nope , no way .. go to the back of the line and start your apprenticeship in a 13' Whaler with a 25 Johnson and tiller steering !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thanks for all the words of caution! I completely understand the basis from which they're coming from. I've driven boats all my life from a 6HP tender to several wake board boards to a 454 prop hot boat .

I also have a 700HP CTS-V in the garage that has more balls than I do driving it.

I've been around power since I was a teenager and have enough wherewithal not to kill myself or my family/friends.

I've read that these 22's can get really hairy with over 400 HP (per the SE review).

Yes, I've just reached a point in my life where I can afford the boat I've wanted.

Good luck with the search. There are a lot of good deals out there now. As far as performance....... sound judgement, life vests, and lanyards and you will do just fine.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

just do it

I have 18 with a 350 whipple pushing 600hp and i have 2 teens that are 18 and 17 and they have both driven the boat with there best intentions to safty.if it is flat com they will open it up but the now the danger that comes with power and speed.It was like the the first motor bike a had every one thought i was crazy buying a 750 ninja that could do 280klm + do you think i ever did that no not for many years of riding come to think of it the only time i did hit those speeds is when i was racing a sts fast cars but sorry i won.buy what you want and learn to drive it well and safe good luck.thanks craig.

good luck on the search
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

good luck with the search

lots of boats out there. if you want to go in the ocean, my advise would be a 22, hornet or zx. zx is the practical choice, but I prefer the classic style of the 22.
    the 18 is just too small for that cold water. a blast on the lake though.

My 68 Donzi is my second boat, the first being a Nacra 5.2m cat. Also grew up around boats all my life, only Dad owned them then. Taking it slow and using a little common sense should keep you out of trouble.

Other than sailboats, this is the last boat I drove before getting the Donzi.

Peleliu.jpg

She was a little slow out of the hole but she handled the waves pretty well. Once up to speed she wallered a bit being a flat bottom with little keel. Took forever to stop, but docking was pretty straight forward with a couple of tugs.
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

Boomr

Hi all,
    Thread revive. Back when I started this thread I ran into some money issues after I found the perfect boat for me which Boomr was considering selling. I've now got back on my feet and have cash in hand to pull the trigger. Does anyone know Boomr (Mike) or how to get a hold of him? He offered me a great deal on a 22C 502 with a procharger and I'd love to snap it up if I can.

Ummmmmmm,,, did I miss somethin here??? 7 days ago u had
    cash ready to buy your 22c, lost the cash an now found the cash agin???
    this is weird
    FISH HARD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    Ummmmmmm,,, did I miss somethin here??? 7 days ago u had
    cash ready to buy your 22c, lost the cash an now found the cash agin???
    this is weird

Different year?????

Ooopppsss............
    FISH HARD

May I ask what is wrong with a 93 and older 22 Classic?
    I am asking out of ignorance here
    I bought one and have yet to try it out.

Thread Information