Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first boat!

Looking for my first boat!

Hi All,
    Great forum you all have going here. I've been around boats my entire life and feel like I can finally afford to have one. I've been browsing for a few years now and have looked at Baja's etc but am stuck on the Classic 22 or 18.

Without going through every thread with a fine tooth comb I was hoping someone or a few of you could provide a few buying tips as to what to look for, preferred years, preferred power, etc.

Ultimately I just want to get out on the water at cruise with a few friends and be capable of 70+ MPH with room to make it quicker down the road.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Buy the best boat you can afford, when looking at 22C's, look for later than '94.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Uh...1994 and newer....George.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

I don’t know where you would be boating, but this boat is already “nearer” your neck of the woods.

I would be very tempted to look at this one.

I don’t know the owner, or the boat, but for $8K, it looks like a very good deal.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...assic-18-8-000
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    I don’t know where you would be boating, but this boat is already “nearer” your neck of the woods.

I would be very tempted to look at this one.

I don’t know the owner, or the boat, but for $8K, it looks like a very good deal.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...assic-18-8-000
    "I'd say" , Almost like it's a scam. The 330 hp 5.7 Alpha SS is pretty max .It doesn't leave much more room for improvement,with out using a chain fall . A stroker would help but 22's need big block power to get them easily over 65.

That is a double set up , on the seat time,especially as a first boat .
    Might have to budget a new Built-Rite drivers bucket
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    Uh...1994 and newer....George.

Yep, that's correct!

One of many senior moments these days........
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

actually, 1994 and later is the same meaning as 1994 and newer..... just the opposite of 1994 and earlier or older...

I think...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Great feedback and much appreciated. $8k does seem like a great deal. Is there much difference in the cockpit area between an 18 and a 22?

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
    Great feedback and much appreciated. $8k does seem like a great deal. Is there much difference in the cockpit area between an 18 and a 22?
    You sit on an 18 and sit in a 22

wetcoast, where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by boomr View Post
    wetcoast, where are you located?
    I'm in Langley, BC Canada on the west coast

There are two Blackhawk 22's within spitting distance of you. Both are low hour and could be had for under $20k. Google and .org will find them for you. There was also a nice looking 18 with LOW hours on craigslist vancouver for the last few weeks.

No offense but for a "first" boat you really should be looking at something that does 40....not 70. I have been driving boats since I was in the cradle and my 22 at anything over 55 takes a LOT of skill to drive. Please be carefull as I don't want to die. For those who advocate this....shame on you. If you don't believe me....look at the gulf breeze accident with a 42' boat doing 70. It is not a game.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Check the classifieds here. My 1994 22 (Canadian registered boat) and many other quality Donzi's are for sale here. I agree with the comment by big above that whatever you purchase get lots of seat time and proceed with care. Yes you can have fun but don't get bit in the a$$ by going too quick too quickly.

Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    No offense but for a "first" boat you really should be looking at something that does 40....not 70. I have been driving boats since I was in the cradle and my 22 at anything over 55 takes a LOT of skill to drive. Please be carefull as I don't want to die. For those who advocate this....shame on you. If you don't believe me....look at the gulf breeze accident with a 42' boat doing 70. It is not a game.

Either way first or not, A 24 V hull takes quite a bit of mental conditioning regardless. The high roll turns or the trip and fall on to the gunnel at low speeds crossing wakes ,getting on plane in wakes and large waves,even The comming off plane shuffle dive and roll . Or how about the turn into the wind with a good chop going. All the stuff worthy of a new pair of Fruit Of The Loons. I been Whaler'ing a little longer than you, and you know you can't beat the "flat" stabilty in a turn. Now you jump into a deep V, you feel as if the boat is going to roll over in a turn. So coming in green on a Donzi would eliminate any pre-conditioning.

As far a 70 MPH boat . They really don't go that fast, with out an operator on the throttle .
    Any boat regardless of how fast, can get out of control.One part of the problem is, not for the lack of respect of the boat and power.But the lack of fear of the power and strength of water. If you stuff any laminated 2 piece boat at speed it's most likle coming apart in pieces . The faster your going the smaller the pieces.

If you get in a V8 boat with an outboard mindset of balls to the wall. Than absolutly trouble is in your future

Thread Information