Thread: How to get best initial timing, installing distr.

How to get best initial timing, installing distr.

I am about to prime the oil pump and put in the distr in my new motor. Since I need to start the cam break in and go up to speed immediately I want to get as close to 8 degrees BTDC at idle. Is this possible without a timing gun on it?

Thanks
    Top Gun 1992 22 Classic 540hp rebuilt HP500 King Cobra

I take it you are running a flat tappet cam, rollers do not need the high RPM break in. Without a light may be tough, with the old point distributors it was easy to get close. Just put the timing pointer on 8* then rotate the distributor until it triggered the spark, I have not tried it with an IV setup but it may work.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

put the engine at 8* BTDC

line up the center of the rotor pin with the center of the cap terminal, and then secure the distributor

have fun
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I would think you could set it with an OHM meter.With the Ignition off and the crank and timing pointer orientated. Remove the coil wire and the # 1 wire from the disributor cap , clip the red wire from the OHM meter to where the coil wire was and black to where the #1 wire was. turn the distributer back and forth until you get resitance.

You can also use the powered light bulb method . Run the negative wire from a 9 volt battery to the coil input on the distrbutor,hitch another wiree on the #1 input on the distributor and the other end of that wire to an LED - pole .Then a Positive wire from the LED positive pole to the 9 volt battery positive. move the distributor back and forth.The light will come on when contacts is made by the distributor.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Thread Information