Thread: Awlgrip question...to apply clear or refinish?

Awlgrip question...to apply clear or refinish?

Well, we've got some blushing in the topcoat on the foredeck on the Nova. We've color sanded the Awlgrip, and its very smooth now. When I look close, it does look porous, and doesn't feel as slick as the unsanded areas.

I understand I can either apply Awlgrip clear, or reshoot the white. Is there a preference?

Thanks,
    Craig
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

The blushing was probably caused by dew that formed on the deck before it cured. In your case, I think white would be the best choice. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Thanks!
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

Is it true Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000?

Unquestionably , IMO , redo the white with more of the same.

When I did my first 60% resto on mine I thought I'd get a better end result with a final coat of clear on the hull. In the end the finish was identical to the original colour only coat. And not only that , I thought I'd be getting an extra layer of protection/durability but it ended up cracking / flaking after a few years. I would presume that was because it doesn't have the solids or body that a colour coat does.

Unless you're utilising the Awlcraft 2000 which can be blown in , respray the entire deck.
    Do it right, now , pay the extra $ and you wont regret it for many years to come.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I think its Awlgrip. I'll check.
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

If it is awlgrip then you don't need the clear. I don't think it is even recommended for use over colored awlgrip like a traditional base coat / clear coat paint would be.

Awlcraft is a different product and they get mixed up. I think Awcraft is rated for 8 years direct sun without fade and Awlgrip is 10 years. The difference is pretty moot on boats that will be stored inside or covered so many smaller boats end up with Awlcraft because it's easier to apply. Yachts that spend their whole lives outside that extra couple of years of fade protection sends them towards Awlgrip.

Thread Information