Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Considering selling my 1997 18 classic.

Considering selling my 1997 18 classic.

Im considering selling my 1997 18 classic. It has a new patriot performance 500 hp 383 with lightning headers and a custom built rlc alpha outdrive. im just trying to see what kind of intrest this boat brings. And please serious inquiries only please.This boat runs an honest 84mph all day long and the best ive seen is 86mph. This boat is fast and handles awsome.

----Nice looking 18! I am wondering what the series of divits on the skeg are for though.........Bill S

Torque tab?

May have had a trim or torque tab there at one time. May even still be there.
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

IMO, I have found from experience that engine, dash, and interior pic's, and a realistic price expectation, reels in the serious lookers...

look how fast the Scorp boat just rotated owners..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

So how has Tripple Digits's RLC drive been treating you ? Doo tell more about it .

Does it go 84 MPH because it has 500 hp or the RLC short leg?

Do you know what it runs with the stock Alpha?

You know? The drive is so controversial it could be a hindrance to the sale.
    You might have to way, selling the drive separate.
    I don't think that any drive really adds value, only a desirabilty
    Meaning a Volvo, OMC, Merc, boat would all sell pretty close to the same price .
    I think model year is more of a factor than drive setup.
    Yours being a relativly late model would fetch a sales price at the upper end regardless
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Nice boat, good luck with the sale. As for worth, I really like it but I'm a special guy and like over the top stuff. You're just going to have to find a hard core enthusiast. Unfortunately, those guys typically like to do their own mods as a lot of the fun is in the build.

I'd be interested to hear how much speed was gained from the custom shorty Alpha. Do you know the propshaft height?

Good luck!

Kurt

I wouldn't be so fast to condemn that drive although I would be leery of running 500 HP through ANY alpha.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

The holes in the skeg are from a torque a tab.The tab didnt do anything the drive has been working flawless and if you read the thread under alpha owners want to go faster the speed increase is in there. The prop shaft height is 3 1/2 inches below the bottom of the boat.This drive over my stock gen2 is WAY better hands down. As far as 500hp through the drive you just have to be easy on the throttle getting on plane thats the hardest thing on any outdrive i see people all the time just throw the hammer down to get on plane and laugh these boats arent drag boats. As far as gains with putting the shorty on this was with my old 383 400hp but just bolting on and throwing on a prop it went from 73mph to 78mph. thats some pretty good gains but after playing with props and rite before i blew the motor i did get 80mph so this drive does really improve alot.

The lower is stock with bobs nose cone and low water pickup the upper has been shortened and the entire drive has the hd parts in it

Is the lower gear case stock w/nose cone and a custom short upper? Is it a modified Alpha upper or a custom casting? Good stuff!

Stock lower with a bobs nose cone with low water pickup and shortened upper. the drive has all the hd parts in it

The lower is stock with a bobs nosecone with low water pickup and the upper is shortened.The internals are all the hd parts in it with the fat shaft.It is alll the best parts you can get for an alpha

Stock lower

The lower is stock with bobs nosecone and low water pickup and the upper is shortened. all the internals are the hd parts and the best parts you can get for an alpha.

Opinions are worth what you pay for them but here are my thoughts.

Classic Donzi owners are an interesting bunch. They LOVE the look of the classic Donzi; it just looks exactly like a performance sport boat should. And, we're are a performance oriented group. Look at the number of people who have done all kinds of performance enhancing modifications to their boats, I mean SERIOUS money upgrades, all for the "prize" of better performance. The allure of a Donzi classic, I believe is that people spend the money and effort they do on a Donzi, when many times there are many other hulls that would yield far better increases in performance with the same mods.

To some, the enhancements you have done with the engine and drive might be a deterrent. But I think there are just as many, maybe more people, who would look at what you have done as a plus. We're I looking to purchase an 18, I would be more intrigued with your boat then others, because you have already done something that I would have wanted to do myself. And, you have proven it works, providing a significant increase in performance. You have also demonstrated that when power is used appropriately, the drive will last.

While age of the boat is a factor, I believe condition is more important when considering anything more than 10 years old.

You might have a slightly smaller group of potential buyers than a stock 18, but you might be surprised. I doubt you will recover the money you spent on the improvements, so an asking price shouldn't be determined by an "I've got this much into it" thought process.

We're it my boat, and cosmetically in great shape, I would ask $14,900.

There, worth exactly what you paid for it.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

I'm not a buyer and Bill's points are spot on. That price might even be a little on the low side if the boat is freshwater only and the build has good documentation. What exactly does it have for a trailer? The 18's have the appeal of two bucket seats for a wider audience then my 16.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

As usual, I agree with Bill's assessment. Except perhaps his idea on price...I think this boat with all the upgrades and increased performance should bring more. To me, it's comparable to comparing a run of the mill corvette and a Z06. But opinions are like a******s, everybodys got one.
    Regards,
    Adam B. Lively
    Previous owner of a 2002 Donzi Classic 18' Scorpion
    Current owner of a restored 1974 Donzi X-18
    Future owner of a bad-ass Donzi (planning stage)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. "

Thread Information