Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: who is the go-to guy for props on this board?

who is the go-to guy for props on this board?

My 93 King Cobra project should (hopefully) be splashed early next month and I'm certain it will need a new prop.

It currently has a Viper 14.25" 21 Pitch ...number 174815.

It came with a 330 h.p. OMC connected to a King Cobra. I've put a 502 with a 750 holley, thru-hull exhaust (496 mercrusier exhaust) in it with stock cams and an HEI (marine) distributor. ...guessing 420 horse or thereabouts and I'm keeping the King Cobra drive.

I need a good starting point for a boat that will run in pretty good chop pretty often and not to mention a guy sitting behind the wheel that usually trims sails when he is on a boat...

THanks,

JZ
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Solas Titan 25"
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

anyone here in the prop biz?
    Jay Z.

Use the prop 174815 you have for a base line. Than you should be able to pitch up, to target your desred Rpm from there.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Props are expensive. Find out where you are at before you start swinging for the fences.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

You may need to add a little more vang.

Quote Originally Posted by katanna View Post
    you may need to add a little more vang.
    lol.
    beating.jpg
    Thanks for the advice guys. I may just run what I've got and go from there but I suspect it will be like running my 1974 911 Carrera track inspired car around in third gear with the Viper prop. We'll see soon enough I guess. Anyhow back to my previous question, anyone on the board that sells props? -who is poodle? ...thought I read he is in the prop biz?
    Jay Z.

----You will have to go over to the other sight to get hold of The Poodle. He is very well versed and may be able to help you. Personally, Id go to Smith Propellors in Algonac Michigan, and give Bill Smith (elder) all your parameters and listen to his advice. He is the best prop guy I know of. But,,,,,,I still would use your current prop to establish a base line as others have stated. Hope this helps.........Bill S

Anyone you talk to about props will want to know what your current prop/performance numbers are. Based on that, they will be able to give you a recommendation.

Engine dyno numbers, build specs etc. are interesting, but not as useful as “At 3,000 rpms, this engine/outdrive/prop showed 37 GPS mph. At 3,500 rpms, it showed 48 GPS mph. WOT was 5,300 showing 74 GPS mph.”

Run what you have and document the performance at different rpms so the prop person will have something to work from.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Once you find out what you need, I have a guy that sells Stilettos and a few others(Solas?) VERY reasonable.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Jay

We all have some that can be shared for tryout. When it comes time give Scot V a call. He will prob let you try what he has (bunches) but for risk purposes you will need to put a CC down.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

You have to remember that the gear ratio isn't 1.5 its 1.43. You need to figure turning a 27 on a 1.5 is like turning a 25 on your set up.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by Jraysray View Post
    We all have some that can be shared for tryout. When it comes time give Scot V a call. He will prob let you try what he has (bunches) but for risk purposes you will need to put a CC down.
    Good Call Scott. I will reach out to him. I might like to have a couple props on my shelf depending on how much it changes the attitude of the boat.

I think I am finally close to splashing and hopefully there are not too many bugs to work out once it is in the water. I am pretty excited to have a new toy to use to go blow off some steam.

I think it will be a pretty nice boat soon.
    Jay Z.

If you've got friends with props to try that's awesome. (Failing that, some shops (BBlades for sure) now offer very reasonable trial and buy programs. On the order of $50/trial. Which makes huge financial sense compared to buying two or three or six and unloading all but one on eBay.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Hey I'm doing the same job: 502 into a 92 King Cobra boat. Also running 496 manifolds.

What did you do with your start relay?

I'm going to mount fuel and oil filters to the bulkhead. What did you do with yours?

I'm expecting 500+ hp and going to the 26 Turbo prop maybe a 25 or 27 Mirage. What hp are you expecting?
    Top Gun 1992 22 Classic 540hp rebuilt HP500 King Cobra

Thread Information