Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1989 Sutphen Rum Runner

Those numbers seem hard to believe, but the numbers here

are similarly unreal, and they are from a published test (by Hotboat I think). Being curious, I read some of the article and there are some tradeoffs. The Warlock 25 World Class is apparently very light, 4000lbs for a 25 footer. It also takes a week to plane. (8 seconds to 15 mph, 16 seconds to 25 mph!) I'd be concerned that in certain sea states you'd risk not being able to get out of the hole at all with that setup.

But amazingly, they made 66mph apparently from a 350 HP 6.0 Merc.

What's a "serpentine" step bottom versus any other stepped hull?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thanks for the heads up Duckhunter but if the boat was free I wouldn't get it.. I put Sutphen on the map in Offshore racing with over 10 US Championships. I was the first one to put up alot of money on something that we didn't know if it would even run. I helped design the 30' when it was just a wood mold. I then got Great Adventure to get one and then hooked Richie up with his best dealership in Mystic, CT. and not one thanks...infact my raceboat went to the shop to have some work done on it and I was charged more than a normal customer. That next week the boat was sold.

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Duckhunter but if the boat was free I wouldn't get it.. I put Sutphen on the map in Offshore racing with over 10 US Championships. I was the first one to put up alot of money on something that we didn't know if it would even run. I helped design the 30' when it was just a wood mold. I then got Great Adventure to get one and then hooked Richie up with his best dealership in Mystic, CT. and not one thanks...infact my raceboat went to the shop to have some work done on it and I was charged more than a normal customer. That next week the boat was sold.
    Wow. Sux. Proves customer service is key...

price and stuff

I like the idea of a single's simplicity, engine bay room, and weight savings...but this is a pretty big boat to maneuver with a single screw. Price seems a bit high, but where you gonna find another really clean 26 Sutphen? Just needs the right buyer. Wave crusher?? I went from an 18' Gran Sport Sutphen to a 26' Rum Runner with twins and it definitely felt that way...but out in the Pacific the hull felt a bit small-ish. I'm sure a more experienced pilot could have run faster / longer, but I'd say the Rum Runner is in it's perfect element in slightly protected bodies of water. Long Island Sound. The CT River. Lake Havasu. Anyway, I'm ranting here. Speed was mid 70's with 300hp 350's and alphas. Good luck to the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Yeah that sucks. They should be pimping you and your compatriots as their spokesmodels. Well, maybe not models so much as ambassadors... Leveraging their history would seem to be a good way for these older boat companies to distinguish themselves from the new guys. Can't do that if they burn bridges though!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Thread Information