Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I put my boat in the salt????

Should I put my boat in the salt????

I'm considering moving to southern Florida where can boat for more than 3 months out of the year.My 87 22C hasn't ever seen salt water. I would hate to move to Florida and not be able to use my Donzi, however......I don't want to destroy it either! I would rather sell it to someone who will use it in freshwater and get something with outboards than destroy this Donzi 22C. It is equipped with a freshwater flush. It also sits on a painted steel trailer.

No one keeps something special like a classic car or boat forever, we just hang on to it until the next lucky guy gets it.

What are everyone's thoughts on putting a boat in saltwater?
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Don Aronow didn't mind doing it

And neither should you....
    Just don't leave it in too long on the mooring in that warm water down there - those weeds do grow fast in 80 degrees.
    Make sure that you have the right thermostat fitted. If you flush it and stay on top of the maintenance, it should be fine.
    And there is lots of help. I was once told that something like 70% of the boats in the US are in that state.

Keep it and have fun. Last I looked, 188th St. was in FL.

I'd think the painted trailer might not like it though. Could be worth selling/swapping for Al or galvanized.

If you're going to keep it on a trailer you can keep it perfect. Flush it and rinse it off. Add FWC if you like. You should peek at some of the boats others here in FL have--they look showroom.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

The boat will be fine. Enjoy!

The trailer not so much...
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Don didn't mind cause he only kept his Donzi for 2 years
    Ghost pretty much summed it up add additional maint time on the wiring and other metal parts. It's up to you remember the salt environment is not only when it is in the water if your close to the surf it is in the air as well
    Seen a 40 yr old donzi lived its whole life on a trailer dunked and flushed but parked on the owners bayfront lot

Been there done that got the receipts
    Salt for margaritas and my pretzels not for the Donzi

My brother's 87 was only used in salt. I think the boat might have seen fresh water a couple times over its life.

Use salt away when you flush the boat. Also use it to rinse the boat and trailer down.

Get something like corrosion guard on the engine.

The painted trailer will go in one of two ways... you can use it for a couple years until it falls apart, then buy a new one, or you can sell it up front (before you move might be best) and get a new one built.

If you can't find a buyer salt away on the trailer will help prolong the life but it is not only the dipping of the boat in salt water but also the weather. If you live in coastal areas of FL stuff just rusts sitting outside.

97% of the world's water is salt.
    Those that get to boat exclusively on the remaining 3% are lucky.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Steve
    yes some times it is a case of ya have to dance with who brung ya

Hooper: "Doesn't make much sense for a man who hates the water to live on an island"

Brody: " it's only an island if you look at it from the water"
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Add a closed cooling system (this is a plug, 'cause I like and believe in them!), Use a spray corrosion inhibitor on all the wiring ends, connectors, and unfinished metal parts.
    Sell the trailer!

The cooling system will cost $800-$1,100.00 and when your original engine dies, move it onto the new engine.
    They'll last virtually forever.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

It will float in salt water too
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

A buddy of mine has been restoring wooden boats for years, his analogy is in salt you can seen the damage it causes. In salt you get added corrosion, corrosion adds work protecting things. In fresh water you get rot, which you can't see usually until it is to late causing structural damage, salt pickles the wood. In the old days they would throw rock salt in the bilges, to protect the wood from rain water that had seeped in. In both mediums you can have damage, how much depends on the care you give your boat.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

----Move to the Lake Dora area and enjoy both Florida and fresh water. Loads of lakes in Florida and most are inland away from the salt air.........Bill S

After a life of boating in fresh water you will be amazed the damage done by salt, weeds, etc. Get the freshwater setup and go. Enjoy.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Personally, I just could not think of putting my Blackhawk LE in to salt water, so, I bought another Donzi I wouldn't mind getting in to salt, and this is how I am now in to the Sport, love the Sport.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ----Move to the Lake Dora area and enjoy both Florida and fresh water. Loads of lakes in Florida and most are inland away from the salt air.........Bill S

+1

Thread Information